• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sixth Sense is very good.

Blair Witch Project

Poltergeist

Night of the Living Dead (B&W Original)

We always play Rocky Horror Picture Show :(

My 13 year old step-daughter is having friends over for Halloween and I am trying to think of some scary movies to rent them. Nothing too gory or full of nudity, just something jump-out-of-your-seat scary. Nay thoughts?

480000[/snapback]

I'd recommend either the Grudge (english) or Ju-On (Japanese, with English subtitles). VERY creepy. I watched it alone in my basement a couple of weeks ago, and I was looking over my shoulder the rest of the night.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=31633

If you want less creepy, "Army of Darkness" is a great movie, although not necessarily horror; there are skeletons and such though :(

CW

The grudge and the ring are similar types of movies. IMO, the grudge was not as well written of a story as the ring (doesn't make as much sense), but it had all kinds of freaky images and scare the crap out of you moments. I was definitely a little freaked out in the theatre and my gf was really freaked out. Probably would be the perfect kind of movie for your step-daughter's get together.

IMO, the grudge was not as well written of a story as the ring (doesn't make as much sense),

You have to watch the movie a couple of times because it's not told in chronological order. It was kinda weird when I watched Grudge, but then when I watched Ju-On, it

made a lot more sense (the two are different, but the basic story is pretty close).

I've read lots of good things about Ring, so I'll have to check that out (havn't decided if I want the American or Japanese version though).

CW

I'll tell you what you can avoid, and that's "Amityville Horror 2005".....it SUCKED. Netflix just brought me Romero's "Land of the Dead", so I'm hoping that one is better.

By the way, the sleeper movie that I always recommend for creeps is "Darkness Falls"....There are several movies by the title, but it's the one with the tooth fairy theme. But, I only recommend it if you have surround sound. If you don't, it probably sucks. It's the best example I know of how good surround mixing can really take an average creep film and make it spectaular fun. Aside from that one, I'll throw a vote out there for "Poltergeist".

By the way, the sleeper movie that I always recommend for creeps is "Darkness Falls"....There are several movies by the title, but it's the one with the tooth fairy theme. But, I only recommend it if you have surround sound. If you don't, it probably sucks. It's the best example I know of how good surround mixing can really take an average creep film and make it spectaular fun. Aside from that one, I'll throw a vote out there for "Poltergeist".

Oh schnit I totally forgot about that one. I actually enjoyed Darkness Falls a lot.

Oh schnit I totally forgot about that one. I actually enjoyed Darkness Falls a lot.

480117[/snapback]

Did you happen to watch it in surround sound? I'm pretty much assuming it would have kinda sucked without the audio effects, but maybe I'm wrong. All I know is that I usually find most horror flicks pretty stupid and a waste of time, but I had a BLAST watching this one on my HT. Definitely worth a rental....turn out the lights and turn up the volume, and you're in for a fun time.

I'll tell you what you can avoid, and that's "Amityville Horror 2005".....it SUCKED. Netflix just brought me Romero's "Land of the Dead", so I'm hoping that one is better.

480077[/snapback]

Amityville Horror 2005, I thought that was an excellent movie.

The Grudge freaked me me out too.

The Ring has a lot of scary imagery/jump out of your seat stuff.

480026[/snapback]

Yeah it does, good movie. Heard the second one sucks, though. The mid 90's remake of Psyco might be a good pick.

-Jeff

Hide and Seek is pretty decent... they hyped it up like it was the greatest thiller ever, but if they wouldn't have done that it would have been much better. I was expecting some earth shattering event, and it was just a good movie.