Scary movies for teens

Hambone

Sixth Sense is very good.

Blair Witch Project

Poltergeist

Night of the Living Dead (B&W Original)

We always play Rocky Horror Picture Show :(

My 13 year old step-daughter is having friends over for Halloween and I am trying to think of some scary movies to rent them. Nothing too gory or full of nudity, just something jump-out-of-your-seat scary. Nay thoughts?

480000[/snapback]

I'd recommend either the Grudge (english) or Ju-On (Japanese, with English subtitles). VERY creepy. I watched it alone in my basement a couple of weeks ago, and I was looking over my shoulder the rest of the night.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=31633

If you want less creepy, "Army of Darkness" is a great movie, although not necessarily horror; there are skeletons and such though :(

CW

The grudge and the ring are similar types of movies. IMO, the grudge was not as well written of a story as the ring (doesn't make as much sense), but it had all kinds of freaky images and scare the crap out of you moments. I was definitely a little freaked out in the theatre and my gf was really freaked out. Probably would be the perfect kind of movie for your step-daughter's get together.

IMO, the grudge was not as well written of a story as the ring (doesn't make as much sense),

You have to watch the movie a couple of times because it's not told in chronological order. It was kinda weird when I watched Grudge, but then when I watched Ju-On, it

made a lot more sense (the two are different, but the basic story is pretty close).

I've read lots of good things about Ring, so I'll have to check that out (havn't decided if I want the American or Japanese version though).

CW

I'll tell you what you can avoid, and that's "Amityville Horror 2005".....it SUCKED. Netflix just brought me Romero's "Land of the Dead", so I'm hoping that one is better.

By the way, the sleeper movie that I always recommend for creeps is "Darkness Falls"....There are several movies by the title, but it's the one with the tooth fairy theme. But, I only recommend it if you have surround sound. If you don't, it probably sucks. It's the best example I know of how good surround mixing can really take an average creep film and make it spectaular fun. Aside from that one, I'll throw a vote out there for "Poltergeist".

By the way, the sleeper movie that I always recommend for creeps is "Darkness Falls"....There are several movies by the title, but it's the one with the tooth fairy theme. But, I only recommend it if you have surround sound. If you don't, it probably sucks. It's the best example I know of how good surround mixing can really take an average creep film and make it spectaular fun. Aside from that one, I'll throw a vote out there for "Poltergeist".

Oh schnit I totally forgot about that one. I actually enjoyed Darkness Falls a lot.

Oh schnit I totally forgot about that one. I actually enjoyed Darkness Falls a lot.

480117[/snapback]

Did you happen to watch it in surround sound? I'm pretty much assuming it would have kinda sucked without the audio effects, but maybe I'm wrong. All I know is that I usually find most horror flicks pretty stupid and a waste of time, but I had a BLAST watching this one on my HT. Definitely worth a rental....turn out the lights and turn up the volume, and you're in for a fun time.

I'll tell you what you can avoid, and that's "Amityville Horror 2005".....it SUCKED. Netflix just brought me Romero's "Land of the Dead", so I'm hoping that one is better.

480077[/snapback]

Amityville Horror 2005, I thought that was an excellent movie.

The Grudge freaked me me out too.

The Ring has a lot of scary imagery/jump out of your seat stuff.

480026[/snapback]

Yeah it does, good movie. Heard the second one sucks, though. The mid 90's remake of Psyco might be a good pick.

-Jeff

Hide and Seek is pretty decent... they hyped it up like it was the greatest thiller ever, but if they wouldn't have done that it would have been much better. I was expecting some earth shattering event, and it was just a good movie.

My 13 year old step-daughter is having friends over for Halloween and I am trying to think of some scary movies to rent them. Nothing too gory or full of nudity, just something jump-out-of-your-seat scary. Nay thoughts?

480000[/snapback]

The story isnt really that good, but "White Noise" is really creepy. Plenty of times it'll make you jump or scream (in the case of my girl), and you'll be looking over your shoulder afterwards.

It depends upon their taste in movies.

Someone mentioned "Psycho" earlier, and that is the best example of a thriller/horror movie without being gory. The kids probably aren't familiar with Hitchcock's work, so this is a great chance to expose them to the Master.

I think it's best to avoid the slasher movies, which all seem to have the same plot anyway. Kids who have sex get killed. Kids who don't have sex survive. Even the "Scream" movies parodied this.

A really bad one would be "Manos: The Hands of Fate". According to imdb.com, it's the worst movie ever made. The MST3K edition is available on DVD.

"Final Destination" scares the hell out of me, especially when I have to get onto an airplane. :D

Mike

Did you happen to watch it in surround sound? I'm pretty much assuming it would have kinda sucked without the audio effects, but maybe I'm wrong. All I know is that I usually find most horror flicks pretty stupid and a waste of time, but I had a BLAST watching this one on my HT. Definitely worth a rental....turn out the lights and turn up the volume, and you're in for a fun time.

I did happen to catch it in surround sound at my buddies place. A few of us watched it a little ahem...impared, and we all thought it was great.

I did happen to catch it in surround sound at my buddies place. A few of us watched it a little ahem...impared, and we all thought it was great.

480318[/snapback]

lol, right on.....that must have been awesome. I can imagine giving this film like a 5/10 w/out the surround sound, but with it I'd bump it up to like an 8/10 if we're talking good times and not quality of the film.

Amityville Horror 2005, I thought that was an excellent movie.

480154[/snapback]

For serious? The only part that got me was when the little girl was on the roof acting like it was no big deal. The rest of it I thought was kind of silly. How many times can you watch someone in the bathtub getting pulled under the water by something that isn't there? That scene is so overused it's nuts.

The story isnt really that good, but "White Noise" is really creepy. Plenty of times it'll make you jump or scream (in the case of my girl), and you'll be looking over your shoulder afterwards.

480223[/snapback]

See, that's the kind of stuff that scares me too, is the stuff that COULD be real. I've had some run-ins with the supernatural myself, so naturally that sh*t really does a number on me. Some parts of that film were sensationalized and tacky, but overall it did a good job of making me piss my pants. By the way, if you still have the disc, watch the special features where they do an actual EVP session. That scared me more than the film did!

See, that's the kind of stuff that scares me too, is the stuff that COULD be real. I've had some run-ins with the supernatural myself, so naturally that sh*t really does a number on me. Some parts of that film were sensationalized and tacky, but overall it did a good job of making me piss my pants. By the way, if you still have the disc, watch the special features where they do an actual EVP session. That scared me more than the film did!

480473[/snapback]

Do you watch Ghost Hunters? Watched it once because they featured a building that's about 5 miles from my house...

Do you watch Ghost Hunters?  Watched it once because they featured a building that's about 5 miles from my house...

480492[/snapback]

I'd never even heard of it until I just read your post.....but I just looked it up on Netflix and I'm definitely going to check it out. That kind of stuff is right up my alley, as long as it's not clearly a hoax. I love stuff like that.....thanks!

The Grudge was horrible in my opinion. It was so stupid, it was actually funny. Me and my two friends afterwards just kind of looked at one another and rolled our eyes.

The Saw is a great movie...Very creepy and unpredictable. The special edition just came out today. Seven is also good;very similar to The Saw.

The Grudge was horrible in my opinion. It was so stupid, it was actually funny. Me and my two friends afterwards just kind of looked at one another and rolled our eyes.

What was stupid about it? Not criticizing, just curious.

CW

What was stupid about it?  Not criticizing, just curious.

CW

480519[/snapback]

Honestly, I think we all went in expecting so much more.

That voice on th ephone was ridiculous, as was Sarah Michelle Gellar. She doesn't belong in a movie like this.

I'd never even heard of it until I just read your post.....but I just looked it up on Netflix and I'm definitely going to check it out.  That kind of stuff is right up my alley, as long as it's not clearly a hoax. I love stuff like that.....thanks!

480502[/snapback]

Sci-Fi Tuesday nights...the place near me was at times a retirement home and also an asylum. Said to be over 1000 people died in the place.

Honestly, I think we all went in expecting so much more.

That voice on th ephone was ridiculous, as was Sarah Michelle Gellar. She doesn't belong in a movie like this.

480524[/snapback]

I agree that SMG was a terrible choice fo the role, but that didn't ruin it for me.

The sound on the phone and from the kid were both creepy IMHO. My wife still hates that sound. Freaked her out the whole movie :D

The only thing I didn't like was the movie was extremely confusing to follow the first time through due to the hops in the timeline. However, it made it easier to watch Ju-On because I already knew the timeline.

CW

I agree that SMG was a terrible choice fo the role, but that didn't ruin it for me.

The sound on the phone and from the kid were both creepy IMHO.  My wife still hates that sound.  Freaked her out the whole movie :D

The only thing I didn't like was the movie was extremely confusing to follow the first time through due to the hops in the timeline.  However, it made it easier to watch Ju-On because I already knew the timeline.

CW

480528[/snapback]

Maybe I'll check that movie out. It may make things more clear! :doh:

Sci-Fi Tuesday nights...the place near me was at times a retirement home and also an asylum.  Said to be over 1000 people died in the place.

480526[/snapback]

Wednesady nights. Same time as lost. I just DVR it and catch it later. Good stuff, they'll catch evidence, and do whatever it takes to disprove it, so it's more believeable that the hunters that use psychics.

As far as movies, the RING is awesome, and Ringu, the original japanese is great stuff too. No one mentioned Suspiria, an old italian movie that was creepy as hell. . .never got past the first few minutes of it. Great stuff. Also, when I was a kid, the original Nightmare on Elm street gave me nightmares for weeks.

You guys ever heard of "The Innocents"? It was filmed in the 60's and just released on DVD. I have it here but haven't watched it yet. Reviews are amazing, and the word is that the film was ahead of its time. I can't wait to check it out.