Mike Williams cap situation

I rec'd a PM recently. Bill from NYC asks:

Do you know how much it would cost/save to cut him before and after 6/1?

Well Bill I'll do my best :o

I'm assuming :D that you mean 2006 season, thus I will base the numbers on his 2 years remaining. I do not GUARANTEE absolute accuracy in the numbers. Only the NFL, Bills, and NFLPA can.

Salary: $4 million

Roster bonus: $3 million

Amortized bonus: $3,453,333

"Deion" debit: $360,431

(add all 4)

Cap hit: $10,813,764

Salary: $5 million

"Deion" credit: ($1,081,293)

(add 1st 2 and subtract credit)

Cap hit: $7,372,040

Timing is everything. It depends on when the roster bonus is due. In 2005, his $3 million roster bonus was due July 1 (or thereabouts) and it was "guaranteed". That is, converted to signing bonus and spread out over 2005-2007 at $1 million/yr. It saved $2 million on 2005 cap, but added $1 million to each of 2006 & 2007. (I do not know if this conversion added to his "Deion" charges)

A few scenarios exist, I will focus on the more obvious

Scenario 1: Release before roster bonus due whatever date but before 6/1: I would assume Bills decide not to pay roster bonus and release him. The cap savings are:

Cap hit - remaining amortization = cap savings

$10,813,764 - (2 X $3,453,333) = $3,907,098 in 2006

$7,372,040 on 2007

This scenario holds true for a trade as well as long as the Bills do not pay roster bonus

Scenario 2: Release after 6/1 and do not pay roster bonus:

Cap hit - 2005 amortization = cap savings

$10,813,764 - $3,453,333 = $7,360,431

However, he would still count $3,453,333 on 2007 cap

NOTE

Big Mike still has some sizable NLTBE's & LTBE's that can also impact the 2006 & 2007 caps but through the cap adjustment. I will not even try :D

Realistically, Big Mike is here to stay and the Bills are likely to work out an extension with him. They may be waiting for the CBA extension which will define new rules on bonus amortization. Starting in 2006, signing bonuses can only be spread out 2006-2009 (4 yrs) without new CBA.

I rec'd a PM recently. Bill from NYC asks:

Do you know how much it would cost/save to cut him before and after 6/1?

Well Bill I'll do my best  :o

I'm assuming  :D  that you mean 2006 season, thus I will base the numbers on his 2 years remaining. I do not GUARANTEE absolute accuracy in the numbers. Only the NFL, Bills, and NFLPA can.

Salary: $4 million

Roster bonus: $3 million

"Deion" debit: $360,431

(add all 4)

Cap hit: $10,813,764

Salary: $5 million

"Deion" credit: ($1,081,293)

(add 1st 2 and subtract credit)

Cap hit: $7,372,040

Timing is everything. It depends on when the roster bonus is due. In 2005, his $3 million roster bonus was due July 1 (or thereabouts) and it was "guaranteed". That is, converted to signing bonus and spread out over 2005-2007 at $1 million/yr. It saved $2 million on 2005 cap, but added $1 million to each of 2006 & 2007. (I do not know if this conversion added to his "Deion" charges)

A few scenarios exist, I will focus on the more obvious

Scenario 1: Release before roster bonus due whatever date but before 6/1: I would assume Bills decide not to pay roster bonus and release him. The cap savings are:

Cap hit - remaining amortization = cap savings

$10,813,764 - (2 X $3,453,333) = $3,907,098 in 2006

$7,372,040 on 2007

This scenario holds true for a trade as well as long as the Bills do not pay roster bonus

Scenario 2: Release after 6/1 and do not pay roster bonus:

Cap hit - 2005 amortization = cap savings

$10,813,764 - $3,453,333 = $7,360,431

However, he would still count $3,453,333 on 2007 cap

NOTE

Big Mike still has some sizable NLTBE's & LTBE's that can also impact the 2006 & 2007 caps but through the cap adjustment. I will not even try  :D

Realistically, Big Mike is here to stay and the Bills are likely to work out an extension with him. They may be waiting for the CBA extension which will define new rules on bonus amortization. Starting in 2006, signing bonuses can only be spread out 2006-2009 (4 yrs) without new CBA.

475776[/snapback]

One of these days, he needs to come out and start dominating. I don't care if stays on the right side the rest of his career, he has to start dominating and make every one of his opponents he's lined up against worried to go against him.

Great information.

Now, I've got a question for you or anyone who has a answer. And I hope there is someone out there that could answer this. It would be interesting

What has Mike Williams cost the Bills organization in terms of $$$ per play?

I can't imagine any Bills player (except possibly Rob Johnson) costing the Bills so much money for so little in return. He must be the highest paid Bill. If he is the highest paid Bill, I would think the Bills mgt. would expect to 1) sell a lot of tickets off his name/performance, and 2) Expect a lot of personal services (appearences, etc.). Are they getting either 1 or 2... or neither 1 nor 2?

Guest BackInDaDay

Thanks for the info.

Is Williams the largest financial burden we have for the next couple years?

Where does the Bills financial committment to Williams rank with other clubs' committments to their Right Tackles? I'm guessing we're leading the league. :o

Thanks, again.

Thanks for the info.

Where does the Bills financial committment to Williams rank with other clubs' committments to their Right Tackles?  I'm guessing we're leading the league.  :o

Thanks, again.

475903[/snapback]

Clumpy is more qualified to answer these questions, but I'm pretty sure that Moulds is the largest financial burden for the next 2 seasons (at least until Clements re-signs), and yes, MW is the highest paid starting RT in the league.

Thanks for the info.

Where does the Bills financial committment to Williams rank with other clubs' committments to their Right Tackles?  I'm guessing we're leading the league.  :o

Thanks, again.

475903[/snapback]

Check out the link on Clumpys post- it has all the salary info there

I actually believe that MW is the largest cap burden because of the remaining amortization, nearly $7 million.

Moulds can be released after the season and it saves $5.4 million.....his situation will be cut and dry........paycut or release (trade?)

476283[/snapback]

so what is that in dead cap money if moulds is cut? 5M? 6M?

Great information.

Now, I've got a question for you or anyone who has a answer.  And I hope there is someone out there that could answer this.  It would be interesting

What has Mike Williams cost the Bills organization in terms of $$$ per play?

I can't imagine any Bills player (except possibly Rob Johnson) costing the Bills so much money for so little in return.  He must be the highest paid Bill.  If he is the highest paid Bill, I would think the Bills mgt. would expect to 1) sell a lot of tickets off his name/performance, and 2) Expect a lot of personal services (appearences, etc.).  Are they getting either 1 or 2... or neither 1 nor 2?

475874[/snapback]

I think the currently highest paid bill is probably Moulds...

Nice work on the cap figures.

On a related note, why is everyone so disgruntled with MW? I thought he really turned the corner last year--and only got derailed due to injury to start the season. Perhaps my expectations aren't that high in light of the below-average line play I've grown accustomed to, but I think Williams, though starting a little slow to begin his career, is now pretty solid.

I agree. I think everyone wants the cap number to match performance. He WAS the 4th overall, thus he was given a contract commesurate with the status of a 4th overall pick.

He just needs to stay on the field  :(

476413[/snapback]

I wonder if "Playing 16 regular season games" is a NLTBE or a LTBE issue for big Mike.

Mike Williams NLTBE bonuses:

• Make the Pro Bowl

• Switch to LT

• Captain SB Winning Team

Mike Williams LTBE bonuses:

• Win the "Punch Bowl Life-of-the-Party" Award

• Switch to Direct TV

• Cop two sweet 50-yard line seats to the next 5 SuperBowls