OH NO!! FIRST BLEDSOE , NOW THIS GUY ..

Talonz

Once upon a time Leaf was San Diego's quarterback of the future, and Gilbride was its head coach. But the rookie didn't play the position as much as he battled it, and the results were disastrous. Not only did he sabotage the team; he cost his head coach his job.

This is from the article. You could re-write that statement like this...

Once upon a time Gilbride was Buffalo's Offensive Coordinator of the present. But the coach didn't coach the offense as much as he battled it, and the results were disastrous. Not only did he sabotage the team; he cost his head coach his job.

Kilbride is NOT helping Eli...it's the other way around, dontcha think? Kevin is just not a complete OC. When things are great...he can ride the wave. But he can not (or at least, HAS NOT) compensate and adapt when things go awry.

Kilbride is NOT helping Eli...it's the other way around, dontcha think?  Kevin is just not a complete OC.  When things are great...he can ride the wave.  But he can not (or at least, HAS NOT) compensate and adapt when things go awry.

474378[/snapback]

I think it's too easy to say that Gilbride isn't helping Eli. Honestly, most of us have no clue how good of a coach the guy is. All we know is his offensive schemes and his play-calling suck. The guy might be a great teacher for all we know.

I think it's too easy to say that Gilbride isn't helping Eli.  Honestly, most of us have no clue how good of a coach the guy is.  All we know is his offensive schemes and his play-calling suck.  The guy might be a great teacher for all we know.

474551[/snapback]

you know what they say: those who can, do...and those who can't, teach. maybe you're on to something here. :doh:

I think it's too easy to say that Gilbride isn't helping Eli.  Honestly, most of us have no clue how good of a coach the guy is.  All we know is his offensive schemes and his play-calling suck.  The guy might be a great teacher for all we know.

474551[/snapback]

I think it is fair to measure or call a person a good coach or not based on results and to theorize and give our own fact-free opinions on whether he is a good coach or not based on what we think we see in the game and trends advocate are true.

I think the bottomline here is that being a good coach (particularly a good OC or good HC) means more than being simply just a good teacher.

Kevin Killdrive may be a fine teacher but he sucks as an OC and in the past as an HC specifically because as you point out his offensive schemes and his playcalling suck.

I think there is little rational debate that Killdrive is a bad coach. Unfortunately in our society from the good ol boy network of the NFL to getting the Medal of Freedom meritocracy is not the watchword in our society but cronyism is.

Kevin Killdrive may be a fine teacher but he sucks as an OC and in the past as an HC specifically because as you point out his offensive schemes and his playcalling suck.

474572[/snapback]

Sure, we can speak accurately about his limitations (to put it nicely) as a OC and HC. But we're not talking about him as an OC or a HC. We're speaking about him as a QB coach, which is a "teaching" position. My point being that nobody here can speak to how effective (or ineffective) he is in this position.

Don’t get my wrong, I loathe Gilbride, LOATH him. That being said I’m not going to rip the job he’s done in NY when there’s no way to know other than the results (and the results are good thus far).

Yeah, and damn Travis is tearing thinks up as well.

474942[/snapback]

Antwain Smith gets his shot in NO too now that Duece is down for the year. So the question is who will have more yards rushing at the end of the year, A. Smith or T. Henry? I'll put my money on Smith.

Antwain Smith gets his shot in NO too now that Duece is down for the year.  So the question is who will have more yards rushing at the end of the year, A. Smith or T. Henry?  I'll put my money on Smith.

474948[/snapback]

Me too.

Wonder if Travis gets suspended again before the end of the year. My bet is yes.

This is from the article.  You could re-write that statement like this...

Once upon a time Gilbride was Buffalo's Offensive Coordinator of the present.  But the coach didn't coach the offense as much as he battled it, and the results were disastrous. Not only did he sabotage the team; he cost his head coach his job.

474348[/snapback]

As of today Tom Clements is doing a pretty good imitation of Kevin Gilbride...

May be TC is just a good QB coach and nothing more....He could get good

production from Tommy Maddox as his QB coach.....May be it is time for

Wyche and Clements to interchagne their role.

Anyone consider the thought that Archie Manning's genes may be a bigger factor than Gilbride's teachings?

Something to ponder on a slow media day.

474959[/snapback]

I think that was kinda my point, too. I betcha Archie and Peyton have taught Eli more about being an NFL QB than Gilbride can even imagine.

Drew shredded a Super Bowl team's defense this past Sunday ... but that was with Parcells calling the shots. Coaching matters...

475303[/snapback]

Yo PIA...how the hell are ya? Coaching matters...so does an Offensive Line.

Yeah curious isn't it.  Giants get rid of Mcnally and now they have a solid Oline and QB. 

We get Mcnally and our line is worse. 

Note to fans, just because a guy is from Buffalo does not mean he is good at his job.

475371[/snapback]

Well, I wouldn't bash McNally just yet. He has a GREAT reputation around the league...not just in the Bufftown. Despite a dearth of talent he seemed to be making some progress last year...and then JJ left...and BAM! a rash of injuries. I'll be curious to see what kind of progress the line makes over the next few weeks.

What you say is true, "just because a guy is from Buffalo does not mean he is good at his job." It's also true that just because he coaches in Buffalo doesn't mean he's bad at his job. Also, it doesn't necessarily mean that he's bad at his job because his OL isn't getting the job done. Need an example of what I'm talking about? Bobby April. His Special Teams SUCKED in St. Louis.

Well, I wouldn't bash McNally just yet.  He has a GREAT reputation around the league...not just in the Bufftown.  Despite a dearth of talent he seemed to be making some progress last year...and then JJ left...and BAM! a rash of injuries.  I'll be curious to see what kind of progress the line makes over the next few weeks.

What you say is true, "just because a guy is from Buffalo does not mean he is good at his job."  It's also true that just because he coaches in Buffalo doesn't mean he's bad at his job.  Also, it doesn't necessarily mean that he's bad at his job because his OL isn't getting the job done.  Need an example of what I'm talking about?  Bobby April.  His Special Teams SUCKED in St. Louis.

475378[/snapback]

Not really. If you actually look and don't listen to the media, April had a middle of the road coverage team, which gave up no TD's in 2003. See:

http://nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-RETU...ar?sort_col_1=3

The media used him as a whipping boy, and it was more Martz who would not let him use any 1st stringers on any coverages. So considering he used on 2nd stringers he did pretty damn good.

In addition his kicking was tops in the NFL.

http://nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-FIEL...LS/2003/regular

Again, media hype sucks and reality is different then facts.

Mcnally on the other hand in 2003 was the line coach for one of the worst rushing teams in the NFL.

http://nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-FIEL...LS/2003/regular

He also had close to giving up the most sacks of any team.

Yet last year, Barber seemed to get hit less, doesn't fumble nearly a much, and even with a rookie immobile QB, they give up 10 less sacks.