On the Goal-line

BuckeyeBill

Really. We have a FB who cannot open holes, cannot pick up a blitz and cannot rush, but he does make an occasional pass reception.  :doh:

Is this rocket science??

I have been ragging on him since week one.

473388[/snapback]

He was one of my favorite targets during the early part of last season because he was terrible. He improved as the year went on to pretty damn good. The 2nd down play where Duke Preston "caught" one of the Miami penetrators while Shelton ran right into his ass really annoyed me - even more so because of third down.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree we should run willis on the goal line, but it is seriously annoying ( and predicable) to run right up the middle where all the defenders are. Any one of those plays, if they would have run a counter, they would have scored.

And if Shelton can't friggin block, put Fat Sam in and let Willis follow him in...

I agree we should run willis on the goal line, but it is seriously annoying ( and predicable) to run right up the middle where all the defenders are. Any one of those plays, if they would have run a counter, they would have scored.

473406[/snapback]

Takes too long to develop. Dudes are in the backfield by the time Willis makes the cut.

We were talking about that during the game - when's the last time anyone's seen an "up and over" play?  I don't know why they (NFL teams in general) don't do it, but I can't remember the last time I saw that.

473323[/snapback]

There are two ways of being really successful at the goal line. The over-the-top play or the RB that gets so low there’s no way the D can stop him (Tomlinson is a master at this). WM doesn't do either, he runs upright at the goal line which is a recipe for disaster.

Run Willis 4xs. Then the next time you're down there, run Willis 4xs again. This includes all 2nd and 1, 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 plays (on their side of the 50 for the 4th and 1). You want to be a power running team (and I love that philosophy & think its the best way to go), then put your money where your mouth is.

We were talking about that during the game - when's the last time anyone's seen an "up and over" play?  I don't know why they (NFL teams in general) don't do it, but I can't remember the last time I saw that.

473323[/snapback]

I think the reason they don't do it is too many things can go wrong. If your running back gets upended then he generally lands directly on his head. This is not good having 235+ coming straight down on your spine. The other variable there is the legs. These guys make thier living on thier legs and going up and over make your legs very vulnerable as well. Get an O line that can make even the slightest of a hole or keep the D off guard by running one way then the other. I say don't go up and over unless you are as big as a Bus. Jerome that is.

Miami responded by leaving the weak side wide open, and since the ball was on the near hash, there would have been a footrace to the pylon - and I'd take Willis' speed and stiff-arm down there in a minute.

473299[/snapback]

with his current choice of hesitation and lack of speed, he'd get cut down before he could turn the corner...it's happened nearly every time this year (not on goalline though)

that and as someone mentioned, our backfield would be flooded fast

with his current choice of hesitation and lack of speed, he'd get cut down before he could turn the corner...it's happened nearly every time this year (not on goalline though)

that and as someone mentioned, our backfield would be flooded fast

473445[/snapback]

You hit the nail on the head.

I'd run Willis 4x but right before he hits the field I'd tell him he better get rid of the happy feet and hit the hole hard or he'll be watching Shaud Williams bounce off big Bennie's ass for the next few games.

This team is a victim of overcoaching in the biggest way. Friggin' bunch of genius's. Just line up and hit someone, please?!

RTB

It is 1st and Goal on the 1 yard line...

My philosophy is give the ball to McGahee 4 straight times (unless there is a severe loss).  I hate the play-action, gadget moves when you are a foot away from the goal-line!!  Buffalo does it quite often.

Another call I like is the quarterback sneak in that situation.  I also think you go for it on 4th and an inch. 

The situation on Sunday, the Bills were on the 1 foot line.

1st and Goal from the 1- Run with McGahee for no gain

2nd and Goal from the 1- Run with McGahee for no gain

3rd and Goal... tricky play action screen pass for a 5 yard loss.

4th down... we settle for a fieldgoal, only go up by 17... and Miami has momentum.

Does anybody else think the Bills should have run it up the gut on 3rd down with KH or WM, and EVEN IF there is no touchdown, do it again on 4th down?

473284[/snapback]

Man, if you can't score from there, you won't go anywhere. You deserve the #1 pick in the draft.

Sadly, we can't seem to punch it in on a gimme play. That's like missing a 17 yard FG. :blink:

473323[/snapback]

Last monday night,, his name is Bettis,,,,,He just didn't have to or could leap as high as walter payton .....plus the fact that he has a power rushing caliber OL that made a nice hole while driving back SD's DL......He was actually bragging about it on the radio yesterday down here.......