Golisano enrolls in GOP

Apparently going to make a run for Gov again...

Too bad he's enlisting the help of the GOP instead of going outside the two-party fray. It'll probably help him win, though. I have no idea what his social policies are but I'll make the stupid statement that it'd be nice to have a governor on the side of the Sabres. Anyone know if there would be any conflict-of-interest situations that would force him to sell the team if he did perchance win? This is obviously a long ways and many potential obstacles away.

Anyone know if there would be any conflict-of-interest situations that would force him to sell the team if he did perchance win? 

473056[/snapback]

That's a good question.

My first thought was that there probably would be a conflict, but I'm not sure how it'd be any different than any other governor who was self-employed. The Sabres are a business, and like PayChex, I can't imagine a reason why he'd have to dump them.

That's a good question.

My first thought was that there probably would be a conflict, but I'm not sure how it'd be any different than any other governor who was self-employed.  The Sabres are a business, and like PayChex, I can't imagine a reason why he'd have to dump them.

473102[/snapback]

Big question would be if the Sabres get any public money, etc. I think that would make a big difference as gov'ts have a big habit of subsidizing teams as a supposed boon to local / state economies.

Wealthy businessmen who take a run at politics always amaze me. These guys spend upwards of $75 million of their own money to lose an election. I just don't get it.

In 1994, Golisano spent $6.6 million on the governor's race and got a mere 4 percent of the vote.

In 1998, he spent $13 million and doubled his support. In 2002 he spent $75 million. In the final week of the campaign he was reported to be spending $1 million a day. He garnered 14% of the vote.

Unbelievable. This seems to be purely ego-driven to bankroll your own campaign and throw that kind of money around. Only he knows how much he plans on tossing into the pot this year.

But he couldn't pay Paul Kariya $5 million per season and he wants to keep the Sabres $14 million below the salary cap....Sheeesh.

Wealthy businessmen who take a run at politics always amaze me.  These guys spend upwards of $75 million of their own money to lose an election.  I just don't get it.

In 1994, Golisano spent $6.6 million on the governor's race and got a mere 4 percent of the vote.

In 1998, he spent $13 million and doubled his support.  In 2002 he spent $75 million. In the final week of the campaign he was reported to be spending $1 million a day.  He garnered 14% of the vote.

Unbelievable.  This seems to be purely ego-driven to bankroll your own campaign and throw that kind of money around.  Only he knows how much he plans on tossing into the pot this year.

But he couldn't pay Paul Kariya $5 million per season and he wants to keep the Sabres $14 million below the salary cap....Sheeesh.

473114[/snapback]

His political ambitions aside, he does have a legacy right now of being the guy who "saved hockey" for Buffalo, and is righting a ship that had been steered into rough waters by the Rigases. You can't expect him to just plunk down a lot of money when the team is not there yet financially or in terms of maturity.

His political ambitions aside, he does have a legacy right now of being the guy who "saved hockey" for Buffalo, and is righting a ship that had been steered into rough waters by the Rigases.  You can't expect him to just plunk down a lot of money when the team is not there yet financially or in terms of maturity.

473123[/snapback]

Of course he stepped up and bought the team, and he was probably the only "local" who could possibly have done so. I do recognize that he is a self-made success in the business world, and he has every right to run the Sabres like a business. If he believes the team will make money with salaries at $28 million, then he has every right to make money.

But with the NHL coming off of a potentially damaging (owner-imposed) lockout, and the organization coming off of the Rigas scandal and the embarrassment of having the NHL pay its bills, it would be nice to throw the fans a bone and bring in a marquee goal scorer- something the team has lacked since the Lafontaine/Mogilny years in the early/mid-90's.

I do believe the fans trust and respect Golisano; but it is hard to believe that he is REALLY concerned about turning a profit of $3 million when he has dumped over $100 million into unsuccessful political aspirations.

I was at the Sabres-Bruins game Friday night. Second home game, against a rival, Friday night....Attendance: 13,000 and change. Thousands of empty blue seats, including one or two entire sections. Perhaps a big-name player who you could market would be worth the extra salary in exchange for additional ticket revenue.

While I agree, he did rescue hockey in Buffalo, I hope he doesn't rest on that accomplishment and expect that the fans will love him all the same. If he continues to throw money around every which way except into the team, I can see the fans voicing their disapproval.

<snip>it would be nice to throw the fans a bone and bring in a marquee goal scorer- something the team has lacked since the Lafontaine/Mogilny years in the early/mid-90's.

473137[/snapback]

I'd rather roll 4 lines able to score than have all of my proverbial eggs in one basket. The Sabres are fun, exciting, and they're winning.

EDIT: Am I the only person who thinks that Golisano bought the Sabres to repair what, to my understanding, was a less than favorable perception of him to help him in his political aspirations? Some years ago when I was up there for a Bills game and the election was onlt a couple of weeks away, it seemed that a lot people considered him nothing more than a wealthy eccentric.

Big question would be if the Sabres get any public money, etc.  I think that would make a big difference as gov'ts have a big habit of subsidizing teams as a supposed boon to local / state economies.

473108[/snapback]

I thought of state funds too, but the legislature, not the governor, actually spends the money. I would think he'd be OK, but I might very well be wrong. It'd be interesting to see how that would work out.

I'd rather roll 4 lines able to score than have all of my proverbial eggs in one basket.  The Sabres are fun, exciting, and they're winning.

473170[/snapback]

I agree Campy, but imagine this same team with one Big Time goal scorer. Somebody like Kariya, a proven scorer who could be very dangerous with the new rules, signed for $4.5 mil a season.

I whole-heartedly agree, rolling four lines is the way to go, but 40-goal scorers will have their share of game-winners in that bunch (okay, maybe not Satan.)

I would love to see this current team with one Go-To Guy, and I don't think Golisano would have had to break the bank to do it. But we'll see. They keep saying they have a plan, and they will be well-positioned for next year's free agents, so we'll have to trust them for now. I like the way the team is playing and I like the results. Even in the loss, I liked the way they played.

He made is money in the payroll cashing business right?

Great, just what we need... A master of the "float" in the GOP camp.

Should fit in well.

:doh:  ;)

473100[/snapback]

Actually Paychex, Golisano's company, is a payroll processing company similiar to ADP. They process payroll for small, medium, and large businesses. This is very different than a "payroll cashing business". This is a company that he personally started and grew into a huge company.

In addition to saving the Sabres, Golisano has donated millions to charity in Rochester including major support of Strong Memorial Hospital.

Golisano had never been to a hockey game prior to buying the Sabres. Since his purchase, he has been at fixture at the HSBC arena on game night. To me, he seems like a genuine person. I'm not sure why so many people are distrustful of him.

As for the Sabres salary cap...the new NHL was supposed to reduce salaries and ticket prices and help the smaller market teams compete. The Sabres made a plan of spending $28 million or so which they feel gives the team the best chance to be profitable and yet still field a competitive team. People criticize the Sabres for not signing the $7 million stars but how does spending 25% of your salary cap on one player help create team unity? I think that the Sabres have a great young team and have one of the lowest ticket prices in the league.

I agree Campy, but imagine this same team with one Big Time goal scorer.  Somebody like Kariya, a proven scorer who could be very dangerous with the new rules, signed for $4.5 mil a season.
I really don't think we need a big name, but that's just my opinion, and I may be proven wrong as the season progresses.

I whole-heartedly agree, rolling four lines is the way to go, but 40-goal scorers will have their share of game-winners in that bunch (okay, maybe not Satan.)
:doh: I hear ya'. I hope he does well for the Isles, but I can't say I was heartbroken when the Sabres passed on re-signing him.

I would love to see this current team with one Go-To Guy, and I don't think Golisano would have had to break the bank to do it.  But we'll see.  They keep saying they have a plan, and they will be well-positioned for next year's free agents, so we'll have to trust them for now.  I like the way the team is playing and I like the results.  Even in the loss, I liked the way they played.

473191[/snapback]

They looked tired in the Sens game, their what, 3rd game in 4 nights, but I agree. If some of our young guys only meet half of their expected contribution, we'll have a good year IMO.

473114[/snapback]

WTF would anyone want to pay Paul Kariya that kind of scratch? Dude has never been a difference maker in his career. Sometimes he's a nice fantasy player, though.

Big question would be if the Sabres get any public money, etc.  I think that would make a big difference as gov'ts have a big habit of subsidizing teams as a supposed boon to local / state economies.

473108[/snapback]

I don't know if the Sabres get any public money, but I know whatever they get is a lot less than it would have been had Hamister gotten the team. When Golisano threw his hat into the ring for the team, he basically said he did it because he wanted to keep an asset in WNY and he felt the taxpayer shouldn't have to subsidize the bid to keep it in WNY.

Hammister was going to have the City build a large parking garage for the team and a few other things he wanted. When Golisano's bid was chosen instead of his, he took his football (Arena league, that is) and left town.

I agree Campy, but imagine this same team with one Big Time goal scorer.  Somebody like Kariya, a proven scorer who could be very dangerous with the new rules, signed for $4.5 mil a season.

I would love to see this current team with one Go-To Guy, and I don't think Golisano would have had to break the bank to do it.  But we'll see.  They keep saying they have a plan, and they will be well-positioned for next year's free agents, so we'll have to trust them for now.  I like the way the team is playing and I like the results.  Even in the loss, I liked the way they played.

473191[/snapback]

The team right now has very good chemistry. Several players were quoted as being glad that Satan was gone.

I don't think anyone on the team (possible exception being Drury) makes over $3MM. How would bringing a high priced guy in affect the team chemistry? I agree with Campy, set it up to be able to roll 4 lines and hope one of them can get the big goal you need.

Anyone know if there would be any conflict-of-interest situations that would force him to sell the team if he did perchance win?  This is obviously a long ways and many potential obstacles away.

473056[/snapback]

Well, Senator Herb Kohl (D-WI) I believe is still a majority owner of the Milwaukee Bucks...how the NHL handles this, I don't know.

When Golisano's bid was chosen instead of his, he took his football (Arena league, that is) and left town.

473246[/snapback]

Semantics, but Hammister had to withdraw his bid when his partners backed out. Golisano was awarded the team by default.

WTF would anyone want to pay Paul Kariya that kind of scratch?  Dude has never been a difference maker in his career.  Sometimes he's a nice fantasy player, though.

473235[/snapback]

I know, I'm not saying he specifically is the answer, but somebody similar with 1) a household name, 2) marketability, 3) proven goal scorer, 4)relatively inexpensive. Kariya seemed to meet those criteria so I used him as an example.

I agree, he has been down over the past two years (three if you count the lockout) but the league is now built for quickness. A smallish player like him did not stand a chance to remain healthy (much less be a consistent difference maker) over the course of 82 games + playoffs in the old NHL. He is the type of player who should excel in with the new rules.

And dont get me wrong, I like the team they have RIGHT NOW. They prepared well for the rule changes, and they are well positioned to make a run at the free agents next year (which Darcy said they will do), when many of this year's freespending teams will be over the cap. The point I was making was that $28 million vs. $32.5 million shouldn't make Golisano cringe, when he spends $100 million to lose three elections.

Who could have predicted in 2002 that DR would be a better GM than TD?

These guys spend upwards of $75 million of their own money to lose an election.  I just don't get it.

473114[/snapback]

Because Golisano is a BILLIONAIRE, and his company pays HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS in NYS Taxes every year, and he looks at NYS Government and sees a bloated, inefficient and wasteful bureaucracy; and he figures that if he can get elected, he can reduce the amount of NYS Government waste, thereby reducing NYS Taxes, thereby reducing the hundreds of millions of taxes every year that NYS soaks him and his company for.

And this is bad because....?