Today's posts ABSOLUTELY prove Bills fans here are

IndyMark

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry...I can't see wasting his quickness at the DT spot. MLB and long snapper, that's what I want to see.

467377[/snapback]

If you want to use his speed you've gotta get him to the outside. Maybe DE? He is high motor...oh, wait, he's not white. :D

LOL

So it's OK to develop a young DT and not a young QB?

467171[/snapback]

It's very easy to make the argument here though that Anderson is at least as effective as the guy he's taking over for- I actually think he's better on rushing downs than Edwards- he has a run stuffer's base and sets his lower body up well, something Edwards has never been able to figure out.

Abandoning the season when the AFC East is looking like it's been kicked down a few steps would be crazy right now- there's no reason we can't find a way to take our first division game and not simply play the "development" excuse if in fact they feel JP's too spooked to come out playing well, and you'll have to admit that you wouldn't want to bet JP will "come out playing well" against Miami; why not see how Holcomb does out of the chute with the added benefit of a full week of practice as the starter?

I expect JP Losman to be our starter for a long time, I also expect our Head Coach to do EVERYTHING in his power to win this season, especially considering that our division appears to be there for the taking, probably at 9-7.

Also this might allow the coaches to get off their reliance on JP's toolbox and get back to a play action scheme that our OLine is far better suited to play than the blaster drill passing offense they've given us so far.

Bottom line is that there's lots more to experience than simple playing time. It might be time we get our future star quarterback some experience in the victory department. That might even prove to him that he doesn't have to carry this team to grab the gold ring, he simply needs to go out and execute. And that might be the best thing about starting Holcomb- both our talented sophomore and our coaching staff might get back onto a page in fundamental offense they've been ignoring while they've all been so star-struck by JP's feet.

It's very easy to make the argument here though that Anderson is at least as effective as the guy he's taking over for- I actually think he's better on rushing downs than Edwards- he has a run stuffer's base and sets his lower body up well, something Edwards has never been able to figure out.

Abandoning the season when the AFC East is looking like it's been kicked down a few steps would be crazy right now- there's no reason we can't find a way to take our first division game and not simply play the "development" excuse if in fact they feel JP's too spooked to come out playing well, and you'll have to admit that you wouldn't want to bet JP will "come out playing well" against Miami; why not see how Holcomb does out of the chute with the added benefit of a full week of practice as the starter?

I expect JP Losman to be our starter for a long time, I also expect our Head Coach to do EVERYTHING in his power to win this season, especially considering that our division appears to be there for the taking, probably at 9-7.

Also this might allow the coaches to get off their reliance on JP's toolbox and get back to a play action scheme that our OLine is far better suited to play than the blaster drill passing offense they've given us so far.

Bottom line is that there's lots more to experience than simple playing time. It might be time we get our future star quarterback some experience in the victory department. That might even prove to him that he doesn't have to carry this team to grab the gold ring, he simply needs to go out and execute. And that might be the best thing about starting Holcomb- both our talented sophomore and our coaching staff might get back onto a page in fundamental offense they've been ignoring while they've all been so star-struck by JP's feet.

467380[/snapback]

a truly wise post.

Also this might allow the coaches to get off their love of JPs toolbox and get back to a play action scheme that our OLine is far better suited to play than the blaster drill passing offense they've given us so far.

467380[/snapback]

Good post. I mentioned earlier in this thread today, that because Cincy and the Browns are in the same division, I've seen Holcomb play numerous times on tv. I would have stayed with JP myself, but I don't understand why folks are labelling KH as some worthless bum.

Many here were surprised and pleased when he was signed by the Bills. Perhaps he'll fall on his face, but my recollection of him is that he's a decent NFL quarterback - who played with some pretty iffy Browns clubs.

Sorry for repeating my words... :D

467380[/snapback]

Of course, you're forgetting the fact that play action requires the coaches to actually establish the !@#$ing running game!!!! Contrary to their apparent delusion, one big run from scrimmage does not a running game establish.

I don't think KH is a bum at all. In fact I think he'll probably fare quite a bit better than JP would have. Still I don't think with either QB that we are a top 6 AFC team, in fact I know we aren't. For that reason, as with the Giants last year, we should sacrifice now in order to have success down the road.

I don't think KH is a bum at all. In fact I think he'll probably fare quite a bit better than JP would have. Still I don't think with either QB that we are a top 6 AFC team, in fact I know we aren't. For that reason, as with the Giants last year, we should sacrifice now in order to have success down the road.

467436[/snapback]

Exactly. They squandered half a season of development last year in favor of Bledsoe. Now they're just swapping Holcomb for Bledsoe. There's nothing more for JPL to learn on the bench. Nothing.

467436[/snapback]

Sacrifice what?

I think that the Bills should stick w/ the decision to go w/ Losman. The guy has not looked very good so far, but what do they think benching him is going to do to make him a better QB?

467436[/snapback]

We seem to have much to disagree on this season ;-)

Let me start by pointing out that the Top 6 aren't the teams that make the playoffs.

Secondly I wouldn't discount our ability in any way to end up in the playoffs if we simply make better use of our talent- meaning let's use the talent we have to best posiiton ourselves to win on Sundays. As you pointed out, you think it's perfectly reasonable for KH to play better than JP against the Fish and the coaches this week apparently agree with you.

Bravo! Step one to winning- use the talent that puts you in the best position to win! Now let's see if they use that run blocking offensive line effectively Sunday and sit the overchallenged Ryan Neufeld in favor of a body who can either catch or block since Neufeld can do neither. Due to injury we'll start our most effective run stopping DLine, that's another positive no matter how it came about.

We've been in position all year to win games if we could simply string together some freaking first downs after the first quarter! And if the offense can gain some confidence and allow this offensive line to focus on what they're good at, then win some games and get the young QB reps when our opponent is back on their heels, perhaps he too can get some quality field time where he has some timeto learn stewardship. And if this all leads to a playoff berth in our weakened division, would the experience of being in the playoffs with a winning team not be a million times better than being the starter for a 6-10 loser who's locker was emptied long before the first Wild Card games?

Let me start by pointing out that the Top 6 aren't the teams that make the playoffs.

Secondly I wouldn't discount our ability in any way to end up in the playoffs if we simply make better use of our talent- meaning let's use the talent we have to best posiiton ourselves to win on Sundays. As you pointed out, you think it's perfectly reasonable for KH to play better than JP against the Fish and the coaches this week apparently agree with you.

Bravo! Step one to winning- use the talent that puts you in the best position to win! Now let's see if they use that run blocking offensive line effectively Sunday and sit the overchallenged Ryan Neufeld in favor of a body who can either catch or block since Neufeld can do neither. Due to injury we'll start our most effective run stopping DLine, that's another positive no matter how it came about.

We've been in position all year to win games if we could simply string together some freaking first downs after the first quarter! And if the offense can gain some confidence and allow this offensive line to focus on what they're good at, then win some games and get the young QB reps when our opponent is back on their heels, perhaps he too can get some quality field time where he has some timeto learn stewardship. And if this all leads to a playoff berth in our weakened division, would the experience of being in the playoffs with a winning team not be a million times better than being the starter for a 6-10 loser who's locker was emptied long before the first Wild Card games?

467487[/snapback]

A fair number of good points you make there....

To clarify a couple things-

If I happened to name the teams in order of who are the current top 6 record-wise, it was purely coincidence. Those are teams that I feel are better than the Bills whether based on talent, experienc, or schedule.

While I think KH is a better QB right now than JP, I don't think the difference will be enough to get us into the playoffs. I still think NE wins this division, and no wildcard is going to get in from the East IMO.

I'm in strong agreement with you regarding the running game :blink:

467487[/snapback]

I dunno. I see the problem up front being more than just an adjustment here or there. These guys simply aren't getting it done. You and I both have watched the line play closely this year (well, I watch the line play every year, but I digress); do you really think the personnel we have is adequate? I don't. I still see the interior of the line being a weak point, w/ 2 positions we didn't feel we'd be weak in this year (center and right guard) both being liabilities often this year. The one person I do agree w/ the Bills on (Donahoe spoke on this when addressing the Bills fans @ our hotel in San Antonio prior to the Saints game) is Gandy. While I don't feel he's the next Jonathan Ogden, he is doing fairly well @ LT, better than I thought he'd do, for sure. The rest of the guys just haven't looked good.

Defensively, again we're seeing less out of the established guys (Sam Adams) and little from the guys expected to come in to contribute (Edwards, Anderson). Schobel is still trying to beat the DEs to the outside, leaving huge holes to his inside that the LBs, w/ Spikes out, aren't as quick to fill. I tend to think that the line's talent is okay, but they haven't gotten the job done so far. Put it this way, I think the DL could benefit more from adjustments than the OL can. The OL simply needs better personnel in my opinion. Schemes can only take them so far.

If you want to use his speed you've gotta get him to the outside.  Maybe DE?  He is high motor...oh, wait, he's not white.  :blink:

467379[/snapback]

And he didnt go to a D-1AA school and/or a school in the midwest or in one of the Dakotas

do you really think the personnel we have is adequate?  I don't.  I still see the interior of the line being a weak point, w/ 2 positions we didn't feel we'd be weak in this year (center and right guard) both being liabilities often this year. 

Defensively, again we're seeing less out of the established guys (Sam Adams) and little from the guys expected to come in to contribute (Edwards, Anderson).  Schobel is still trying to beat the DEs to the outside, leaving huge holes to his inside that the LBs, w/ Spikes out, aren't as quick to fill. 

467521[/snapback]

I think the personnel is more than adequate to run the ball down our opponents throats but unfortunately Villarial has been hampered by his injury more than is recognized and Teague is only effective when he has a strong and reliable guard to one side or the other. He can't cover for two guards in pass pro and unfortunately Bennie and a dinged up Villarial is not a good situation for him. Gandy has been a good addition, especially his range and willingness in the run game. Jerman obviously is overmatched, but he's a backup and you have to learn to play and cover for your backups.

On the other side, Anderson had his first near-full game in the run D last week and for I believe 8 series he played better than Edwards has his whole career. It was only in the last defensive series, when our defense had been on the field for 30 minutes already, that our lack of any depth at DT bit us in the butt in the way of fatigue, with the Saints gaining over a third of their rushing yards for the game in one single game-ending series. I'll grant you that the depth at DT is a concern- but it's of greater concern if we're not getting first downs and consequently losing the TOP game. We'll be OK, while thin, at DT if we can move the chains on offense IMO. Edwards injury appears to have improved our ability to stop the run.

With our DEs and our pressure overall, I think it's unfair to recognize we have the #1 pass D in the NFL and yet have some fans claiming we're not getting any pressure- that's simply unrealistic AFAIC. Shoring up our run vulnerability with a personnel change should help this D to get better in a hurry, and there's no better way for our run D to get better than for our offense to get us some first downs. Preferably 25 ;-)