I think starting KH is a good move

todd

Umm, maybe because there is a history of them playing well and there isn't one of Losman playing well. It's really quite simple.

467196[/snapback]

Laughable "lahjik".

How can he have a history of playing well, when he's had exactly FOUR games to prove it?

On the other side of the ball, you have a bunch of turds getting paid a whole lot of money to perform at a certain level, but they're not. THOSE people are the ones who ought to be benched.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, let's bench JP for the easiest games left on our schedule and throw him to the wolves on some road games!  That's the way to handle a young struggling QB.  :D

467109[/snapback]

With the Jets and Dolphins defense, I wouldnt say thats going to be easy. The way the Dolphins are implementing Saban's blitzing scheme would make JPs head spin like a top.

This isnt all JP's fault, the line is crappier than crap. But putting him in against the Dolphin D, at home where he would hear the boos, could probably do more damage than benching him.

If the Bills lose to Miami this week, than I can see JP being reinserted for the Jet game.

Dude, you have your own opinion stuck so far up your butt right now you can't even have a rational discussion.

I think the Bills should do whatever is best for the team to win. If it means benching someone, I'm all for it. Defense, offense, whatever. Hell, if there's a DT better than Sam Adams right now, bench him and let him play. If there's someone better than Crowell, bench him. I could care less about Crowell's development.

I'm tired of losing, and I want to win.

Laughable "lahjik".

How can he have a history of playing well, when he's had exactly FOUR games to prove it?

On the other side of the ball, you have a bunch of turds getting paid a whole lot of money to perform at a certain level, but they're not. THOSE people are the ones who ought to be benched.

467206[/snapback]

I think JP needs to be benched. He's obviously struggling, not utilizing his skills, and is completely confused and overmatched out there. He's inaccurate, his mechanics are effed up, and he's not looking at the correct WRs.

I don't think that benching him is an indication that he isn't the future of the Bills. I think it indicates that the Bills need to win NOW, and you do that by putting your best players on the field.

Right now, JP isn't playing well at his position. He needs to sit down, watch the game, get his equilibbrium back, etc. Also, there's too many idiot fans to actually think Buffalo's losing streak is all his fault.

The biggest problem with people in general is that they are incapable of understanding that blame can lie in multiple places. Generally people here curse the coaches, curse donahoe, curse the defensive players, or curse Losman. Truthfully, it's probably a bit of everything. But that isn't simple enough for some people to wrap their heads around.

JP and his development is just a piece of the puzzle. That's important, but so is winning NOW. We won't win now with a QB who misses open WRs, or takes a safety, or fails to recognize a blitz. So we need to fix that.

We also can't win with a D who can't stop the run. So we need to fix that as well.

We can't win with offensive playcalling that doesn't utilize it's best player - Willis McGahee.

Lots of things need to be fixed. It's not just Losman, but he's part of the puzzle. If KH could make two plays that JP couldn't make, we might have a better chance of winning. So benching JP for now is just a small part of what needs to change, but it certainly needs to change.

467078[/snapback]

i agree completely with this.

Young QB's would never start if every coach went by your rational.  Aikman, Elway, both Mannings...all of them (and many many more) struggled and their teams sucked their first year as starters.  It’s what happens, but the payoff is well worth it.

And actually, I really don't have a problem with them sitting JP down here and there...but you don't do it when the team is entering the easiest part of the remainder of the schedule.  You do it if for the road games at Oakland and New England.  You protect the kid, you don't prevent him from having success.  Look at the success he had against a weak Texans team at home?  You think he couldn't replicate that against the Jets or the Dolphins at home?  That's how you build his confidence and let the kid learn.  This move reeks. 

Do you really think they’ll sit Holcomb if the team wins these two games?  Holcomb is getting to start vs. the 2nd and 3rd easiest games on our entire schedule (the Texans game being the easiest).  If the team does well (which is should) JP isn’t going to sniff the field again until this team is officially eliminated from the Playoffs which should be somewhere around week 13-14.  That makes this move a giant waste of the season.  Yeah, we’ll have fun next year when we have to suffer through JP’s growing pains again.

This move is horrible, period.

467106[/snapback]

the dolphins are not an easy game. as well, the jets defense is quite good.

now it's too late? if the bills win the next two, there's a very good chance they'll be in first place.

467272[/snapback]

With a mentally damaged QB, and a 32 year old starter.

Guess we better get ready to draft another QB next year if that happens, because IMHO, JP isn't tough enough to survive that.

With a mentally damaged QB, and a 32 year old  starter. 

Guess we better get ready to draft another QB next year if that happens, because IMHO, JP isn't tough enough to survive that.

467293[/snapback]

If benching him 'mentally damages' him, then we would want another QB!

the dolphins are not an easy game. as well, the jets defense is quite good.

467267[/snapback]

No game is "easy", which is why I said "easiest". The Dolphins and Jets, both at the Ralph, are the easiest games left on the schedule. You're really going to dispute this?

If benching him 'mentally damages' him, then we would want another QB!

467319[/snapback]

Benching him isn't going to damage him, but not playing is going to hinder his development and it will be that much longer until we find out if he's a quality QB or not. Those who say they want to "win now" aren't understand that all of us want to win as soon as possible. Those that are upset with the benching of Losman just don't believe that this team is going to the playoffs with Holcomb at the helm and every game he starts puts us farther and farther away from actually winning. Eventually the Bills are going to have to let JP struggle and develop, why put it off?

Holcomb probably is the better QB Todd.  However, the whole coaches handling of this situation, from naming JP the starter without competition, to saying how great he looked, and how hard he practiced, and how he was the savior, etc.....  And then we saw bunny hopping in preseason, and a deer in headlights play. 

Now they are screwing with him mentally.  So what physically he was having issues, and he was progressing slowly, but don't take the ball out of his hand now, it's too late.  The time to do it, was when he looked like crap in preseason against other starters, not now. 

The coaches are handling this all wrong, and they have continued to lie to us the fans.  SO now they have hurt JP, and they have lost the fans.  It really can't get much worse, then this.

467096[/snapback]

I agree with the general premise expressed here except the opinion that JP looked bad in pre-season (looked to be developing well to me) and especially the logic that coaches are not allowed to at least stretch the truth if not outright lie as it is ridiculous to make your opponents privy to your game plan (no way to tell the fans in a non-public manner).

The most disappointing aspect of this decision is the TIMING. Why give Saban a heads up that Holcomb is to start? Hopefully the suspicion that MM was told to make the decision is true. While not a good presage of things to come, the alternative is that MM is starting to get swayed by the media (or worse the morons on this board) and turning to GW like knee-jerk reactions.

:blink: Have you not learned. Never disagree with the majority here!

If the Bills win this week all the sudden everyone will be saying what a great move I said it all along..lol

467361[/snapback]

I won't. I'll be happy for a win, but I'll still call it a crap move, just like the second half of last season. Last year they stuck with Bledsoe with a stupid "win it this year" mentality and they sat JPL when he could have been getting valuable snaps. So now they're doing it again this year. It's crap.

With a mentally damaged QB, and a 32 year old  starter. 

467293[/snapback]

Yeah, but you also thought he'd be a sucky QB because of his footwork, vision, poise, and decision-making...

...oh, wait... :blink:

I think JP needs to be benched. He's obviously struggling, not utilizing his skills, and is completely confused and overmatched out there. He's inaccurate, his mechanics are effed up, and he's not looking at the correct WRs.

I don't think that benching him is an indication that he isn't the future of the Bills. I think it indicates that the Bills need to win NOW, and you do that by putting your best players on the field.

Right now, JP isn't playing well at his position. He needs to sit down, watch the game, get his equilibbrium back, etc. Also, there's too many idiot fans to actually think Buffalo's losing streak is all his fault.

The biggest problem with people in general is that they are incapable of understanding that blame can lie in multiple places. Generally people here curse the coaches, curse donahoe, curse the defensive players, or curse Losman. Truthfully, it's probably a bit of everything. But that isn't simple enough for some people to wrap their heads around.

JP and his development is just a piece of the puzzle. That's important, but so is winning NOW. We won't win now with a QB who misses open WRs, or takes a safety, or fails to recognize a blitz. So we need to fix that.

We also can't win with a D who can't stop the run. So we need to fix that as well.

We can't win with offensive playcalling that doesn't utilize it's best player - Willis McGahee.

Lots of things need to be fixed. It's not just Losman, but he's part of the puzzle. If KH could make two plays that JP couldn't make, we might have a better chance of winning. So benching JP for now is just a small part of what needs to change, but it certainly needs to change.

467078[/snapback]

The reason it makes sense is because MM wants to win now and he thinks that Holcomb gives them the best chance. I really don't blame him at all. His job is on the line here. If Holcomb doesn't come through, he knows he's in trouble. But I give him credit for trying something else.

I agree with the general premise expressed here except the opinion that JP looked bad in pre-season (looked to be developing well to me) and especially the logic that coaches are not allowed to at least stretch the truth if not outright lie as it is ridiculous to make your opponents privy to your game plan (no way to tell the fans in a non-public manner).

The most disappointing aspect of this decision is the TIMING.  Why give Saban a heads up that Holcomb is to start?  Hopefully the suspicion that MM was told to make the decision is true.  While not a good presage of things to come, the alternative is that MM is starting to get swayed by the media (or worse the morons on this board) and turning to GW like knee-jerk reactions.

467365[/snapback]

I totally agree with this whole post. I think JP has been progressing and until the rest of the team steps up and decides to play, what is the point of benching him? I mean if the D was playing like the football gods they were claiming to be at the beginning of the season and our OL could block and our coaches could COACH, and we were still losing, by all means, remove JP. But I personally don't think it's fair to remove JP from a struggling team when he's not the only one struggling. JMO.

As for the timing... I can't believe it was announced already that Holcomb was starting. Way to give prep time to the Dolphins. Maybe the Bills are playing mind games and will start JP anyways.

I think they should start JP and see what he does. If he's not producing at the end of the first quarter, bench him then and see if Holcomb can actually do anything this time. I don't understand why JP doesn't even get a chance. :blink:

If the offensive playcalling doesnt change, it wont matter who is QBing the team...

Yes Losman has been below average, but the playcalling has been terrible....

If i was running the offense it would be:

1st down run Mcgahee(3/4ths of the time)

2nd down run Mcgahee or a high percentage pass play(FB/TE quick route to WR)

but we seem to be:

1st down low percentage pass play(more then half the time)

2nd down run

team right now.....

Yeah, but you also thought he'd be a sucky QB because of his footwork, vision, poise, and decision-making...

...oh, wait...  :unsure:

467418[/snapback]

Yeah, but I haven't said that since the season started. The time to bench him and his fragile ego was before the season started. Not now.