Very OT: Anyone play Doom3?

Dante

If you have the hardware this is an amazing graphical experience. Even if the gameplay is nothing special, the eye candy makes the game very much worth the time. I just bought a new video card(eVGA 6800GT) and it allows me to play in high detail at a very high resolution. This provides for a gaming experience that is light years beyond what any XBox, PS2 and so on could provide.

if the makers of Doom (id software i believe) wanted to make any real money, they would have simultaniously released it on at LEAST the XBox, and more favorably on the PS2 as well.

Nowadays most gamers use a console. Sure, for the purists, nothing beats the PC, but with Doom, if you dont have at LEAST a $400 video card, its not worth playing.

When I was younger, before I even had real internet, I would play Doom2 against my friend. You actually had to dial your computer directly to the person you were playing against. Like enter their phone number.

Now, the new GTA for XBOX (or PS2)... i cant wait

If you have the hardware this is an amazing graphical experience. Even if the gameplay is nothing special, the eye candy makes the game very much worth the time. I just bought a new video card(eVGA 6800GT) and it allows me to play in high detail at a very high resolution. This provides for a gaming experience that is light years beyond what any XBox, PS2 and so on could provide.

33436[/snapback]

Considering the 6800GT itself costs MORE than an XBox and PS2 combined, Doom 3 SHOULD look better on your computer. I'm waiting for the price of the video cards to come down, as well as the price of the game itself.

Considering the 6800GT itself costs MORE than an XBox and PS2 combined, Doom 3 SHOULD look better on your computer.  I'm waiting for the price of the video cards to come down, as well as the price of the game itself.

34157[/snapback]

Should and does. But I guess im a gaming enthusiast. PC's and pc games are a hobby. Its the only thing I spend my spare cash on really. To me the difference a high end video card makes is very much worth it. Night and day compared to a console. Yes it certainly is expensive but if your a car enthusiast you spend alot on say, rims at $400 a piece. Or a avid Bills fan would spend $1000 or more to go on a roadie to Florida to watch thier team. So I view computer components the same way. Whatever does it for you I guess. <_<

Considering the 6800GT itself costs MORE than an XBox and PS2 combined, Doom 3 SHOULD look better on your computer.  I'm waiting for the price of the video cards to come down, as well as the price of the game itself.

34157[/snapback]

I always tell myself that, too. The problem with that logic is there is ALWAYS a latest-and-greatest. I'm kind of coming out of the gaming hobby, spending too much time on it. Going to the shooting range a bit more ;-)

I always tell myself that, too.  The problem with that logic is there is ALWAYS a latest-and-greatest.    I'm kind of coming out of the gaming hobby, spending too much time on it.  Going to the shooting range a bit more ;-)

34539[/snapback]

Well there's the rub. You can spend tons of money getting the latest/greatest of anything. Sure you might be one of the first to have/play it, but it becomes outdated pretty quickly and then something new, better, and more expensive comes along and then you need to get that. I just can't justify spending $350 on a card that will be surpassed in several months' time and whose price will drop to of that by then. But that's just me, even though I can more than afford to buy a card like that. I guess I'm just cheap. <_<

Well there's the rub.  You can spend tons of money getting the latest/greatest of anything.  Sure you might be one of the first to have/play it, but it becomes outdated pretty quickly and then something new, better, and more expensive comes along and then you need to get that.  I just can't justify spending $350 on a card that will be surpassed in several months' time and whose price will drop to of that by then.  But that's just me, even though I can more than afford to buy a card like that.  I guess I'm just cheap. :D

34543[/snapback]

You really don't need that powerful of a graphics card to play the game and play it well, unless you insist on the absolute highest detail levels at a ridiculous screen resolution. If that's what you're going for, its going to cost you, but the game looks good enough that dropping down to 1024x768 with still high image quality settings is more than enough for most users. The high end cards of the last generation, such as the Radeon 9800 pro and Geforce 5900, should give you that much. They're not exactly cheap at just under $200, but that's far more acceptable than buying the latest and greatest.

As a side note, although I haven't played either one yet (new PC with standard Geforce 6800 is due to arrive any day now), I think the screenshots I've seen of Far Cry look better than Doom 3.

I think the screenshots I've seen of Far Cry look better than Doom 3.

34622[/snapback]

I've seen Doom 3 running on a good, middle of the line video card, and must say that while it looked good, it didn't blow me away. I played it a little bit and was disappointed with the gameplay. I really didn't notice anything new in it.

Far Cry on the other hand, is an AMAZING game. I'm playing it on the lowest graphics settings (I only have a GeForce3 and a dual Xeon 1GHz :D ), and it still looks *wonderful.* Not only that, but the gameplay is the BEST of any FPS I've ever played. The enemies are generally very intelligent -- I once had two bad guys in front of me, one of them started laying down cover fire while the second guy flanked me while I was busy paying attention to the first guy. Shot me from behind! -- and the levels are very fun to play. HIGHLY recommended, and I havn't even played multiplayer yet!

CW

I have already played the whole game and I thought it was amazing. My graphics card is a Geforce4 Ti4600, which is not anywhere near a top of the line card, and the game played great. It automatically adjust video settings depending on your card and set mine at medium. I'm sure it looks better on a $400 card, but I was still amazed.

Definitely a cool game if you like first person shooters!

You really don't need that powerful of a graphics card to play the game and play it well,  unless you insist on the absolute highest detail levels at a ridiculous screen resolution.  If that's what you're going for,  its going to cost you,  but the game looks good enough that dropping down to 1024x768 with still high image quality settings is more than enough for most users.  The high end cards of the last generation, such as the Radeon 9800 pro and Geforce 5900,  should give you that much.  They're not exactly cheap at just under $200,  but that's far more acceptable than buying the latest and greatest. 

As a side note,  although I haven't played either one yet (new PC with standard Geforce 6800 is due to arrive any day now),  I think the screenshots I've seen of Far Cry look better than Doom 3.

34622[/snapback]

Your right Brandon you dont need a $400 card to play the game. But to "play it well" thats in the eye of the beholder. My previous card was a 9800Pro and I wasnt satisfied with the framerates. In fact, this game brought that card to its knees. And there is a big difference in screen resolutions. 1600x1200 isnt "ridiculous" its much cleaner, smoother. As I said earlier, im a enthusiast(geek?) so these things matter to me. BTW if you get the right video card Far Cry or Doom3 will come bundled with it. I know have two copies of Far Cry because it came with my evga 6800GT.