• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete's got him one of dem "publek skool ejookashuns."

It's all about the self esteem.

465013[/snapback]

Au contraire mon ami.

I actually did not go to public school.

And, as I have said before, when we start agreeing on something, that is when I will start to get worried.

P.S. As a Reagan Republican, I do have to admit that I am a bit worried that you like Reagan.

Because of my clear infatuation based on Peter's incredibly sharp (obviously) observation skills?

Remember when Ohio State beat Miami for the National Championship?

465025[/snapback]

Two words for your second comment: "Terry Porter."

The tweed and ascot faction has spoken. Better call the HOF and have it corrected.

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/rele...?release_id=331

465024[/snapback]

whip de !@#$ing doodle....do you actually think that means anything?

From Profootball Weekly:

I caught a high school football game last weekend — Johnstown (Pa.) High at Bishop McCort, and the visitors hit ’em with a gadget number just before halftime that produced a 7-0 lead.

The quarterback found his receiver on a short hook (or curl) pattern. Then the receiver quickly flipped the ball to a trailing tailback who darted 25 yards for the score. “The old hook-and-lateral,” said the Johnstown coach afterward.

That’s the correct name of the play, “hook-and-lateral.” A hook pattern is run, then there is a subsequent lateral. And it’s a helluva tricky maneuver to pull off, one based upon precise timing and the hope that some defender doesn’t blow his assignment and wander into the path of the back who’s trailing the initial throw.

The play’s most famous version came in the ’81 AFC playoffs, when Miami zapped San Diego with it just before halftime and sent the crazed Orange Bowl crowd to the moon.

“We called it 87 Circle Curl Lateral,” says Don Strock, the veteran quarterback under center for the Dolphins that night. “And, believe me, the damn thing never worked in practice.”

Yet I continue to hear the name of that play screwed up by announcers. A lot of them call it the “hook-and-ladder” play. On Sunday, Daryl Johnston, Phil Simms and ESPN’s Stuart Scott all took their turns, and I screamed at the television. We’ll probably hear it another 500 times this season.

They’re confused. “Hook-and-ladder” is not the name of the gimmick. If a team is truly running the “hook-and-ladder,” then you’d expect them to be barreling down the street in a big, red fire truck with a goofy Dalmatian staring out the window.

I wish the TV guys would get it straight.

How can you defend your obvious mistake? How does "ladder" make any sense in that play"? :lol: Certainly websites like the almighty HOF could never hire a hack writer that would make a mistake....never.... :lol:

whip de !@#$ing doodle....do you actually think that means anything?

From Profootball Weekly:

I caught a high school football game last weekend — Johnstown (Pa.) High at Bishop McCort, and the visitors hit ’em with a gadget number just before halftime that produced a 7-0 lead.

The quarterback found his receiver on a short hook (or curl) pattern. Then the receiver quickly flipped the ball to a trailing tailback who darted 25 yards for the score. “The old hook-and-lateral,” said the Johnstown coach afterward.

That’s the correct name of the play, “hook-and-lateral.” A hook pattern is run, then there is a subsequent lateral. And it’s a helluva tricky maneuver to pull off, one based upon precise timing and the hope that some defender doesn’t blow his assignment and wander into the path of the back who’s trailing the initial throw.

The play’s most famous version came in the ’81 AFC playoffs, when Miami zapped San Diego with it just before halftime and sent the crazed Orange Bowl crowd to the moon.

“We called it 87 Circle Curl Lateral,” says Don Strock, the veteran quarterback under center for the Dolphins that night. “And, believe me, the damn thing never worked in practice.”

Yet I continue to hear the name of that play screwed up by announcers. A lot of them call it the “hook-and-ladder” play. On Sunday, Daryl Johnston, Phil Simms and ESPN’s Stuart Scott all took their turns, and I screamed at the television. We’ll probably hear it another 500 times this season.

They’re confused. “Hook-and-ladder” is not the name of the gimmick. If a team is truly running the “hook-and-ladder,” then you’d expect them to be barreling down the street in a big, red fire truck with a goofy Dalmatian staring out the window.

I wish the TV guys would get it straight.

How can you defend your obvious mistake?  How does "ladder" make any sense in that play"? :lol: Certainly websites like the almighty HOF could never hire a hack writer that would make a mistake....never.... :lol:

465034[/snapback]

The writer was a Michigan Grad.

Au contraire mon ami.

I actually did not go to public school.

That explains your shelteredness and comedic apathy.

And, as I have said before, when we start agreeing on something, that is when I will start to get worried.

Thanks for restating it again. I'd forgotten how important that was to you.

P.S.  As a Reagan Republican, I do have to admit that I am a bit worried that you like Reagan.

465019[/snapback]

I like Reagan. Great man. Since you actually admit to being a Republican, that pretty much saves you.

That explains your shelteredness and comedic apathy.

Thanks for restating it again.  I'd forgotten how important that was to you.

I like Reagan.  Great man.  Since you actually admit to being a Republican, that pretty much saves you.

465058[/snapback]

Everyone has at least one good quality.