reviewed the tape

ch19079

GOOD NOTES:

our OGs pull well.

O-Line pass blocked well overall. Teague played the best. :)

Jennings played well, saw 1 play where he wasnt solid, but that didnt hurt the play.

Williams played VERY good all game. except the one "broken play" where the OG bumped him and made him miss the block, and got bledsoe KILLED!!! on playaction.

henry was very good at pass blocking. had good hits. but missed 1 time, and bledsoe got killed, completed pass though...

campbell can cetch a nice lob over the safety. but cant catch those bullet passes.

screen passes worked. wow. :angry:

Adams consistantly has pressure on the QB.

Schobel has good pass rush. and Kelsey can stop the run well. and has good strength to push the O-Lineman back into the backfield.

LBs played well.

couldnt tell about WR, they DIDNT GET ALOT OF PASSES!!!!

BAD NOTES:

villarrial's holding call was not holding and should not have been called at that point in the game.

Smith, needs to work on RUN BLOCKING!!! good pass blocking, not to good run blocking. i saw atleast 3 missed blocks on run plays, which lead to 0 yards on each run play.

Villarrial missed atleast 3 run blocks.

Wire missed 2 tackles, and took a HORRABLE angle to the RB, and cost us 10 yards.

C and OT played well all around!!!!!

OG struggled.

we had LBs covering WRs. (spikes on smith!!!!!) WTF. wont work at the raiders.

the jags reciever Willford beat Wire in teh back of the endzone at half time, but was ruled out of bounds. same play he got beat on at the end of the game. :)

4 plays:

4th and forever 40+ yard pass

holding on 3rd and 1

jump pass for TD at the end.

moulds fumble.

if we didnt do just ONE of these plays we would have won that damn game!!!!!

SIDE NOTES:

we sometimes went to a 3 man D-line and just befor the snap brought up a blitzer, LB or Safety. even had posey in a 3 pt stance, and schobel standing up...

clements INT came cus the TE beat spikes to get open.

reese INT came cus smith slipped.

backwards pass fumble came cus we previously ran a fake quick pass. so the CB knew what to do when we did it for real.

also:

McGahee ran very well, but a good RB with fresh legs in the 4th quarter vs. a run D that has been pounded by henry all game. he will look good all year, but how can he do in the first half? or in the second half after 20 carries and 20 hits.

Did Wilford get both feet in-bounds on the game-ending TD catch?

33227[/snapback]

no, just 1 foot in, but it was VERY close. but the ref said he was forced out, so they gave him a TD.

he was clearly out on the play at he end of the half, but after seeing it again, i see why that play was the same play used as the last play of the game. :)

no, just 1 foot in, but it was VERY close. but the ref said he was forced out, so they gave him a TD.

he was clearly out on the play at he end of the half, but after seeing it again, i see why that play was the same play used as the last play of the game.  :)

33229[/snapback]

The "forced out" rule has become as bastardized as the "tuck" rule has. Basically it's now better to let a receiver who is jumping out of bounds make the catch rather than trying to make a play on him/the ball, because the zebra will automatically give the receiver the catch/TD, obviously because every receiver is an amazing contortionist who will always come down with the ball with both feet in-bounds and who should be allowed to catch the ball without disturbance. :)

also:

McGahee ran very well, but a good RB with fresh legs in the 4th quarter vs. a run D that has been pounded by henry all game. he will look good all year, but how can he do in the first half? or in the second half after 20 carries and 20 hits.

33225[/snapback]

I've thought for a while now that it may be a better strategy to have McGahee as our "4th quarter" back rather than our "3rd Down" back. To me it fits his style better and could do some serious damage. The only thing I'd be worried about is the creation of an actual (not press induced) rift between Henry and McGahee.

Is it possible Henry's cramps were not real?

villarrial's holding call was not holding and should not have been called at that point in the game.

33217[/snapback]

I was asking about that after the Game. Never saw a replay on the Hold and I figured it had to be pretty blatant because it was a quick play...

Does not surprise me at all though, not at all... :)

Villarrial majorly held on that play. Stop being a damn oppologist. You can not wrap your arms around a defender and pull him away from the play which is what he did. If you're going to get on other player's flubs than you can't absolve that holding penalty. It was as stupid as any Rueben Brown ever made.

backwards pass fumble came cus we previously ran a fake quick pass. so the CB knew what to do when we did it for real.

33217[/snapback]

Backwards pass fumble came because Evans didn't block the CB right in front of him, and that's the guy who creamed Moulds right as the ball arrived. Block that guy, the play doesn't fail. It might not gain any yards, but it doesn't fail, either.

Good post.

I've thought for a while now that it may be a better strategy to have McGahee as our "4th quarter" back rather than our "3rd Down" back.  To me it fits his style better and could do some serious damage.  The only thing I'd be worried about is the creation of an actual (not press induced) rift between Henry and McGahee.

Is it possible Henry's cramps were not real?

33243[/snapback]

They were real. I saw him react after getting tackled, then he got up and limp/hopped off the field. He played a little after that, but then McGahee was in the rest of the way.

Villarial's arm was on the outside sholder of the defender, ok, but i didnt see him turn the guy. they just ran together twords the RB. i see alot of cases where in sertain situations, the refs will "let them play". this looked like one of those times. btu i am a little biased.

and on the fumble, they should have audabled to another play, cus the CB was up close to the reciever. if the WR had blocked him, it would have been offensive pass interfierence. (if they chose to call it for the first time ever).... and not to menton it looked like the CB saw moulds and was ready if we threw it to him, and he read it all the way.

Thanks for taking the time to review film. Some good takes. I do wonder why, with McGahee, people are always attaching qualifiers though. He's a big, strong back who should be just as effective at wearing down a defense as Travis Henry. Is there any reason why he shouldn't be like many good, big backs, and get stronger as the game goes on? It's as if people want to manufacture reasons why he should never have the chance to replace Henry, that he should forever be kept in the role of a change of pace guy. Right now Travis Henry is the starter. Fine, leave it at that. We don't know what's going to happen at RB in the future, but we are not by lobbying going to keep Travis the starter forever.

GOOD NOTES:

33217[/snapback]

Yea I thought the same thing when they ran the play the 2nd time. It seems to me we should have done the real pass 1st to set up the fake where it draw the CB in. Ass backwards on that one.

and on the fumble, they should have audabled to another play, cus the CB was up close to the reciever. if the WR had blocked him, it would have been offensive pass interfierence. (if they chose to call it for the first time ever).... 

33387[/snapback]

It wouldn't have been pass interference because it wasn't a forward pass. It was a backward pass which is equivalent to a running play and thus the reason that it was a fumble. You can't have pass interference on a run.

One thing I was curious about from the tape watchers - there's been a lot of talk about Clements' execution on the 4th and 14 - was wondering if he was supposed to have some safety help on that - the play was 45 yards down the field. Did anyone notice where the safeties were on that one?

Also - did you notice if PP blitzed more than the two times he got ideal pressure/sack? I did notice one time during the game Wire came on a blitz and was tossed aside like a rag doll.

One thing I was curious about from the tape watchers - there's been a lot of talk about Clements' execution on the 4th and 14 - was wondering if he was supposed to have some safety help on that - the play was 45 yards down the field.  Did anyone notice where the safeties were on that one?

Also - did you notice if PP blitzed more than the two times he got ideal pressure/sack?  I did notice one time during the game Wire came on a blitz and was tossed aside like a rag doll.

33458[/snapback]

you cant tell where the safeys are on that play from the video..(or atleast i couldnt tell). all i know, is that there best WR, was in man coverage (one on one) with no safety help on 4th and forever.

PP came on a few blitzes, and got good pressure. even 1/2 of a sack. wire also blitzed a few times, one time comming untouched to force a quick throw. the other time i think he got blocked.

we often went 3 man front and just befor the snap brought up a LB or SS or FS to blitz as the 4th man. i was very surpirised to see a safety blitz with a normal 4 man line. but we play better D when we blitz, that is a fact.

you cant tell where the safeys are on that play from the video..(or atleast i couldnt tell). all i know, is that there best WR, was in man coverage (one on one)  with no safety help on 4th and forever.

Yes - even though Clements was in position to make the play - it is curious that a play that far down the field he seemed to be out on an island. I can't imagine there was another receiver behind him, in which case it begs the question where the safeties were on that play

we often went 3 man front and just befor the snap brought up a LB or SS or FS to blitz as the 4th man. i was very surpirised to see a safety blitz with a normal 4 man line. but we play better D when we blitz, that is a fact.

When you say 3 man front - which DL wasn't playing? Was it always the same or did it alternate?

screen passes worked. wow.  :huh:

33217[/snapback]

One of the biggest surprises for ne this year so far is the touch that Bledsoe has shown- I don't ever remember him "settling" balls into his receivers hands in the past.

I agree with you that for the most part Big Mike was "effective", but this guy needs a fire under his ass and get mean like the guy to his left. I'm hoping when he finally plays himself into shape, say mid-season, Villarial's attitude rubs off onhim.