JP = Heath Shuler, Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf

zow2

There's a difference between replacing him as the starter and making a last-ditch effort to hopefully spark some offense.  Mularkey has made it clear that JP is the starter and will be the starter.  There's no controversy going down in Buffalo. 

What Mike did was, in my opinion, a good move.  Nothing was clicking with JP. The game was coming to an end.  Throw another pitcher into the mix to see if, just perhaps, the team as a whole starts clicking. 

I've got myself convinced that it wasn't done as a shot at JP, rather a final stab at perhaps pulling out a W.

-Jeff

462344[/snapback]

You could be right Jeff but didn't they put in Holcomb at the beginning of the fourth quarter? To me they should have let JP play it out... Just my opinion. Not really fair to Holcomb either if you think about it. Here go win the game with a quarter left. Thanks coach, i'll do my best. Oh well....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Losman is a rookie and he's playing like one, which is pretty much like EVERY QB ever not named Marino or Roethlisburger.  He reminds me a bit of Eli Manning last season, without the litany of boneheaded throws. 

To many of you people have absolutely no patience and even less game understanding.

462349[/snapback]

YES.

You could be right Jeff but didn't they put in Holcomb at the beginning of the fourth quarter?  To me they should have let JP play it out...  Just my opinion.  Not really fair to Holcomb either if you think about it.  Here go win the game with a quarter left.  Thanks coach, i'll do my best.  Oh well....

462350[/snapback]

MM's screwed either way, though. If he *hadn't* have pulled JP, then we'd all be wondering why. Remember, Kelly is there as the "experienced backup" in case "JP struggles." I heard that more than once going into the season, which is why this type of thing doesn't surprise me.

I expect MM to use all of the tools available to him to try and pull out a W (including NOT punting when you're blah blah blah <_<).

That said, I still *think* JP's the guy. He needs to start all season as long as he's physically able. If we're still having this conversation at the end of the season, or early next, then I hope we still have our receipt..... until then...

I'm glad Kelly took the 4th quarter. He stunk it up just as bad. That in itself makes me feel a bit better. It's not all on JP. If Kelly would have pulled the game out, though, we'd probably be having a different conversation.

Accuracy wasn't a problem at Tulane, correct? The guy seems to keep overthrowing half of his passes.

-Jeff

I watched the Jets today, and Brooks friggin Bollinger looked better than JP has looked all season.  That's pretty pathetic when a 3rd string guy looks better than the annoited one who spent the whole off season preparing to be a starter.  And he did this against Baltimore.

462338[/snapback]

You're nuts. Bollinger was pathetic. I watched more than half of that game. They only scored three points, and that was on a series that STARTED at the opponents one yard line. He was better than JP was against the Texans? On the only series in the entire game that he played better than terrible, they punted. That's just complete nonsense.

MM's screwed either way, though.  If he *hadn't* have pulled JP, then we'd all be wondering why.  Remember, Kelly is there as the "experienced backup" in case "JP struggles."  I heard that more than once going into the season, which is why this type of thing doesn't surprise me. 

I expect MM to use all of the tools available to him to try and pull out a W (including NOT punting when you're blah blah blah <_<).

That said, I still *think* JP's the guy.  He needs to start all season as long as he's physically able. If we're still having this conversation at the end of the season, or early next, then I hope we still have our receipt..... until then...

I'm glad Kelly took the 4th quarter. He stunk it up just as bad. That in itself makes me feel a bit better. It's not all on JP.  If Kelly would have pulled the game out, though, we'd probably be having a different conversation.

Accuracy wasn't a problem at Tulane, correct?  The guy seems to keep overthrowing half of his passes.

-Jeff

462363[/snapback]

With all this being said I think the playcalling is suspect, obviously stopping the run is a problem and trying to motivate the rest oof the offense to step up around this young qb may be a factor to. (Wow that was a run on sentence) :doh:

With all this being said I think the playcalling is suspect, obviously stopping the run is a problem and trying to motivate the rest oof the offense to step up around this young qb may be a factor to.  (Wow that was a run on sentence)  <_<

462380[/snapback]

Yeah, I agree with that. My whole point is that pulling JP like that should have been expected. We've heard that "Experienced Backup" line 1,000 times.

You're nuts. Bollinger was pathetic. I watched more than half of that game. They only scored three points, and that was on a series that STARTED at the opponents one yard line. He was better than JP was against the Texans? On the only series in the entire game that he played better than terrible, they punted. That's just complete nonsense.

462374[/snapback]

Bollinger - 14/28 149 yds no picks, no fumbles

Losman - 7/15 75 yds 1 INT 1 Fumble

Bollinger at least looked like he had an idea of what he was doing. The passes he did get off were accurate, and the Jets WR's seemed to drop a lot of them.

It is too early to tell. After the first drive, I thought that was turning things around. After that, he did not look like the QB of the "future" much less the present. He is in a very difficult position. He clearly is not ready to play. He was given control of the offense way too early while the team ignored other problems that are all too plain to see.

The Bills outsmarted themselves. They decided to blame one guy for all of the problems that we have had rather than addressing the real problems with this team.

At this point, we have no choice but to let the kid play and see what he is made out of. I really hope that he (and the rest of the team) can turn this thing around. Rather than being in year five of the five year plan, we may just be in year one or two.

That's garbage. He has already shown every single skill you could possibly want in a quarterback. I admit, he has played terribly these last three games. he deserved to be benched both of the times he was benched, even though personally I wouldnt have done it this game, although I understand it. But he has clearly shown that he can throw every pass, he has a cannon, he handles the ball extremely well, he has great running ability and he has very good escapability. He can thread the needle on short slants, mini posts and passes down the middle.

I don't know what you're watching but he has displayed all the talent you want. He just needs to make far better decisions, he has to settle down, he has to take something off the ball when he doesn't need to gun it, he has to slide instead of try for the extra yard, he has to take what the defense gives him instead of trying to make the great play all the time, he has to throw the ball away when the rush is on deep in his own end, he has to look off his main target quicker and more decisively, and he has to make better throws when guys are open. That is a ton of different things. But he has clearly shown to me that he can do most or all of that. And it's simply experience. Frankly, I think it's going to take him the whole year.

462207[/snapback]

sure he has all of the physical tools.

unfortunately, he is lacking in the mental part of the game.

the additional problem is that the coaches are not doing him any favors by not giving him short, quick passes to build some confidence and move the ball.

However, they did finally run a draw and at least attempt a screen and a play action pass.

Moulds is toast and should be spending some time on the pine.

Lets make a comparison if I might here.

Cincy drafts Carson Palmer in 03 and he sits the entire year

Cincy names Palmer starter in 04 over John Kitna who was 8-8 the year before, Palmer goes 1-3 in his first 4 starts. The Bengals finish the season 8-8 2 games shy of a wild card

2005 Palmer is still the starter with a year of NFL starting experience under his belt and the Bengals are 4-0 and sitting on top of the AFC Central.

Man this sounds kinda similar...

2004 The Bills draft JP Losman and he sits the majority of the year minus a few meaning less plays towards the end of the season. (Yes I know he was hurt, but did anyone seriously expect him to start?)

2005 JP is named the starter and so far is 1-3 in his first four starts....Think I see a pattern here

2006 The sky is the limit, as long as we dont run JP out of town like every QB since Jim Kelly

We need a little patience here instead of labeling the kid a bust after 4 starts, plus we have 12 more games to play. a 7-5 record in those games isnt that hard to accomplish and I would be content...not happy, but content to have an 8-8 record with a 1st year starting QB.

With that said here is what I feel needs to change over the next 12 games:

TC needs to put the ball in McGahee's hands at least 25 times a game and quit putting us in positions where we have to pass all the time.

Cut the amount of Draw plays called in half...no one is concerned with us passing so they arent going to bite.

Trey Teague needs to be moved out of the center position and possibly back to tackle with the absence of Mike Williams. Trey has looked lost since he started playing center. He misses so many plays up the middle its not even funny. Every time I see defensive player get through the middle Trey is always looking some where else

Shaud Williams needs to get a few games films of Warrick Dunn and study them every night. And please teach him to take the ankles out from those blitzing...it might be a sissy play but it keeps defenders off our QB on 3rd down. Heck even Deuce McAllister ankle bit Schobel today, but he kept him off of Brooks.

Why isnt Terrence McGee returning punts??? Jonathan Smith's 15 mins of fame has been up for about an hour now

Nate Clements, you want top corner money??? Start playing like one...top corners dont make stupid mistakes that give teams first downs 2-3 times a game.

Coach Mularkey, grow a set and get a little more aggressive when the game is on the line. Punting with 5 mins left in the 4th quarter is a give up play. I'd rather lose 26-7 and have done everything possible to win than lose 19-7 and and walk off the field 5 mins early.

Jerry Gray, lets change up the blitz package every once in a while. Clements' blitz that stopped Deuce in the backfield was brilliant...blitzing Milloy once every 2 or 3 plays isnt...quit leaving McGee on an island with Vincent as the only deep protection. Let make the opposing receivers fear a nice big hit from Milloy (especially considering he's playing with a broken thumb and cannot tackle as well)

TD, find us a capable TE.... please. Neufeld is next to worthless, Euhus still isnt healthy, and Campbell hasnt been anything to write home about since he's been here. Everett doesnt look like he'll be seeing the field this season. ( I dont recall if he is able to play football or not, but Chad Lewis is currently a free agent and couldnt be any worse than what we already had on this team if he can still play.)

He isn't like them at all.  He has a completely different personality.  Did you see him trying to cheer on his teammates after he was benched.  The other QBs you mentioned just aren't like that.

462233[/snapback]

maybe he can get a job with the jills when his NFL career is over next year <_< I want this kid to succeed but like others have said he just isn't showing flashes of brilliance in between his crappy play. he's fast enough to make him a safety though when TV hangs em up...i still hope that he can be the player we were all told he would be. And his TD to INT ratio was not that solid in college, and his accuracy and tendency to force passes (which leads to picks) were the 2 knocks on him coming out. that pick he threw today was god-awful so to say he is seeing the field is ridiculous because there is no way he saw the saints safety playing centerfield and if he did hes an idiot for throwing the ball. This post probably is all over the place but it hurts to think i live to watch this team and they disappoint me every week.

Losman is a rookie and he's playing like one, which is pretty much like EVERY QB ever not named Marino or Roethlisburger.  He reminds me a bit of Eli Manning last season, without the litany of boneheaded throws. 

To many of you people have absolutely no patience and even less game understanding.

462349[/snapback]

I don't think it is necessarily fair to say that anyone who is losing patience with the Bills/JP Losman has little understanding of the game. Yes it is true, Losman is a "rookie", and there is an inherent learning curve with any "rookie". Most here believed, going into this season, that we had a very good running game, and an upper echelon defense. Conventional wisdom was that Losman did not have to "win the games for us", he just needeed to be a caretaker, and let the running game and the defense lead us into the playoffs.

So now, 4 weeks into the season, we learn that our defense is pretty average, and our offensive co-ordinator is bound and determined our best offensive weapon (Willis McGahee) is not going to play as big a part of our offense as it seems he should be. So, the whole pretense of the season has changed.

Losman has a lot to learn. Are we stupid to think that he hasn't really shown anything to indicate that we can win with him this year? Is it stupid for us to think that maybe the Bills should give the other QB a chance to play, to see if something can be salvaged? Who knows, Holcomb may be just as bad (I think you were prettys supportive of him), but we are heading into a crucial 4 week stretch that will likely determine if this team has any hope of catching a playoff spot. If Holcomb does no better, by all means put Losman back in. Why are we giving up on a season, 4 weeks into it? Why should we already be resigned to the fact that this is likely another rebuilding year? Seems like patience has gotten the Buffalo franchise nowhere the last decade, and only led more rebuilding seasons, and mediocrity.

Losman is a rookie and he's playing like one, which is pretty much like EVERY QB ever not named Marino or Roethlisburger. He reminds me a bit of Eli Manning last season, without the litany of boneheaded throws.

462349[/snapback]

/quote]

Immediate results from the rookie that's what they want. This team sucks as a whole not just JP.Where is the pass rush!

Amen - I fear JP will be a journeyman at best for his carer...Nice way to make a living, but definitely not the guys who will lead your team to a superbowl... I think he might work our a career like Gannon or Gus Frerrotte is he hangs on long enough...(Gannon ended with a good one, but that did not get going until he was what - 30?)

That's garbage. He has already shown every single skill you could possibly want in a quarterback. I admit, he has played terribly these last three games. he deserved to be benched both of the times he was benched, even though personally I wouldnt have done it this game, although I understand it. But he has clearly shown that he can throw every pass, he has a cannon, he handles the ball extremely well, he has great running ability and he has very good escapability. He can thread the needle on short slants, mini posts and passes down the middle.

I don't know what you're watching but he has displayed all the talent you want. He just needs to make far better decisions, he has to settle down, he has to take something off the ball when he doesn't need to gun it, he has to slide instead of try for the extra yard, he has to take what the defense gives him instead of trying to make the great play all the time, he has to throw the ball away when the rush is on deep in his own end, he has to look off his main target quicker and more decisively, and he has to make better throws when guys are open. That is a ton of different things. But he has clearly shown to me that he can do most or all of that. And it's simply experience. Frankly, I think it's going to take him the whole year.

462207[/snapback]

He hasn't shown touch, accuracy or recognition. And give me those skills over speed and strength any day. And he eexhibited every skill in Tulane except the ability to win.

462349[/snapback]

Can we get off other people's game understanding? If any of us knew it that well, we'd be on the sidelines. I, like many on the board, areseason ticket holders - pretty similar to a stock holder - and, yes, we get to have our opinion count even if it may not be as informed as Ralph Wilson's.

Cincy names Palmer starter in 04 over John Kitna who was 8-8 the year before, Palmer goes 1-3 in his first 4 starts.  The Bengals finish the season 8-8 2 games shy of a wild card

2005 Palmer is still the starter with a year of NFL starting experience under his belt and the Bengals are 4-0 and sitting on top of the AFC Central.

2004 The Bills draft JP Losman and he sits the majority of the year minus a few meaning less plays towards the end of the season.  (Yes I know he was hurt, but did anyone seriously expect him to start?)

2005 JP is named the starter and so far is 1-3 in his first four starts....Think I see a pattern here

2006  The sky is the limit, as long as we dont run JP out of town like every QB since Jim Kelly

462538[/snapback]

Some year: Montana was born.

Later: He wins four Superbowls.

Some year: Losman was born.

Later: It only follows...

That's just my way of saying it doesn't do any good comparing JP to anyone else. Let what he does be decided on its own merit.

Cincy names Palmer starter in 04 over John Kitna who was 8-8 the year before, Palmer goes 1-3 in his first 4 starts.  The Bengals finish the season 8-8 2 games shy of a wild card

2004 The Bills draft JP Losman and he sits the majority of the year minus a few meaning less plays towards the end of the season.  (Yes I know he was hurt, but did anyone seriously expect him to start?)

2006  The sky is the limit, as long as we dont run JP out of town like every QB since Jim Kelly

We need a little patience here instead of labeling the kid a bust after 4 starts, plus we have 12 more games to play.  a 7-5 record in those games isnt that hard to accomplish and I would be content...not happy, but content to have an 8-8 record with a 1st year starting QB.

With that said here is what I feel needs to change over the next 12 games:

TC needs to put the ball in McGahee's hands at least 25 times a game and quit putting us in positions where we have to pass all the time.

Cut the amount of Draw plays called in half...no one is concerned with us passing so they arent going to bite.

Trey Teague needs to be moved out of the center position and possibly back to tackle with the absence of Mike Williams.  Trey has looked lost since he started playing center.  He misses so many plays up the middle its not even funny.  Every time I see defensive player get through the middle Trey is always looking some where else

Shaud Williams needs to get a few games films of Warrick Dunn and study them every night.  And please teach him to take the ankles out from those blitzing...it might be a sissy play but it keeps defenders off our QB on 3rd down.  Heck even Deuce McAllister ankle bit Schobel today, but he kept him off of Brooks.

Why isnt Terrence McGee returning punts???  Jonathan Smith's 15 mins of fame has been up for about an hour now

Nate Clements, you want top corner money??? Start playing like one...top corners dont make stupid mistakes that give teams first downs 2-3 times a game.

Coach Mularkey, grow a set and get a little more aggressive when the game is on the line.  Punting with 5 mins left in the 4th quarter is a give up play.  I'd rather lose 26-7 and have done everything possible to win than lose 19-7 and and walk off the field 5 mins early.

Jerry Gray,  lets change up the blitz package every once in a while.  Clements' blitz that stopped Deuce in the backfield was brilliant...blitzing Milloy once every 2 or 3 plays isnt...quit leaving McGee on an island with Vincent as the only deep protection.  Let make the opposing receivers fear a nice big hit from Milloy (especially considering he's playing with a broken thumb and cannot tackle as well)

TD, find us a capable TE.... please.  Neufeld is next to worthless, Euhus still isnt healthy, and Campbell hasnt been anything to write home about since he's been here.  Everett doesnt look like he'll be seeing the field this season.  ( I dont recall if he is able to play football or not, but Chad Lewis is currently a free agent and couldnt be any worse than what we already had on this team if he can still play.)

462538[/snapback]

Carson Palmer was a #1 overall pick. So was Eli. JP isn't. In fact, JP's numbers sucked at Tulane and I still can't believe he was a first round pick. The guy isn't a wiiner something that scares the hell out of me. At least Carson and Eli were.

Search Losman statistics tulane and see for yourself. This guy is a lemon!

But, all we needed him to do was "manage" the offense.

The expectations on the kid were unrealistic and now Mularkey seems to be wavering on who to go with. Was this not to be expected? Either you stick with the kid or you don't. This wavering crap is for the likes of Steve Spurrier.

People always blame JP, blame your super awesome o line for once since there the ones not giving JP any time to throw the ball.  Our O line downright SUCKS.

462735[/snapback]

Amen. Didn't we all see this coming before the season even started?

Dline sucks, oline sucks, rookie QB, but some how the Bills are a "good" team. At least Boomer Esiason said so....and so did Tom Donahoe who couldn't build a team if Paoli was holding his hand.