Bills Stock Market?

SDS

It's called Futures... that's what they do in Chicago (Pork Bellies, winter wheat, oil futures, etc)... buy and sell futures expectations...

If you are being serious, it would be interesting... I don't know if they do it with teams... What I think WOULD be neat would be if Ralph would sell the team to Buffalo Residents like GB... I don't know how he could do it... but that'd be awesome.

If you are being serious, it would be interesting...  I don't know if they do it with teams...  What I think WOULD be neat would be if Ralph would sell the team to Buffalo Residents like GB...  I don't know how he could do it...  but that'd be awesome.

456527[/snapback]

The league has outlawed that after Green Bay did it.

How difficult would it be to set up a trading system where you could buy and sell shares of Bills stock over the course of a season?

I think it would be interesting if could set up a market to track the Bills fortunes...

456515[/snapback]

Are you thinking more of like a fantasy game? Like everyone gets x number of shares to start with that are worth the same, (ie- everyone has 100 shares worth 10,000 a piece) and then we trade them throughout the season? That would be a kick ass game to play...You could even involve the entire NFL...

Are you thinking more of like a fantasy game? Like everyone gets x number of shares to start with that are worth the same, (ie- everyone has 100 shares worth 10,000 a piece) and then we trade them throughout the season? That would be a kick ass game to play...You could even involve the entire NFL...

456533[/snapback]

Yes... that is exactly what I am thinking. I don't know jack about the market or how this would work, but I would like to see if we have enough people here who could tell how to make it work...

That is weird the league would outlaw community ownership... look at GB... they are maybe the most followed team in Football, they sell every game out, sell a ton of merchandise... regardless of what their on field record is... By selling them to the communities, you insure the teams won't move which increases fan loyalty... Most Bills fans biggest worry is not whether they lose the games... it's the team moving... I will follow the Bills every season they are in Buffalo, if they move... I would be very upset and not just at whomever the owner is but the league in general...

How difficult would it be to set up a trading system where you could buy and sell shares of Bills stock over the course of a season?

I think it would be interesting if could set up a market to track the Bills fortunes...

456515[/snapback]

Not quite what you are talking about , but close. Someone wrote about it in the News last week. Basically, you are buying the right to buy a ticket to a big game at face value if the team you chose is in the game. You pay for that right, and the amount will fluctuate just like a future, or more acuurately a call option on a stock.

Here is the opening page link

http://www.theticketreserve.com/Tritone/home.html

and here are the prices for the Bills.

http://www.theticketreserve.com/Tritone/home.html

As you can see here, last week someone paid $50.00 to lock in face value tickets to Superbowl XXL if the Bills make it. Now, that same option is only worth $30.00. BTW, I was one guy who paid the $50.00 lol. I looked at it like putting a $100 on the Bills to win the AFC, only even if they are looking good at the end of the year, can sell before at anytime, maybe at a big profit.

Also, its a way to lock in SB ticket just in case they make it. They even have future for the 07 Superbowl

Hmm... that would be a very interesting game to play....

How about this... a "pre-sale" market valuation... Treat each team as being worth the same amount, then have a "fake" sale to determine values... Once the values are set, we do the actual buying of teams.

Let's say everyone get's 32 shares (1 for each team). You then put those shares onto the teams you wants (future). Remember - once we do the IPO... you need to have a seller in order to buy or sell... But you can keep shares in reserve (not in any teams)...

I will work with someone else to run it if you want, but I can't do it on my own... I'll need someone to help coordinate buying and selling.

Yes... that is exactly what I am thinking.  I don't know jack about the market or how this would work, but I would like to see if we have enough people here who could tell how to make it work...

456536[/snapback]

You would have to set up a financial model for the revenues, costs, profits etc. and see how that would change based on the team's performance. Contrary to popular opinion here, I think the stock would be fairly healthy now because the value of a stock is based on the discounted cash flow from future operations. So if the potential to do well in the future exists, the stock should do very well. If we were on a downturn or had way too many question marks regarding personnel and coaching, the stock would be discounted. But I think it will take somebody who does finance for a living (not me) to set this model up and then it would be re-calculated every day. Example, if TKO gets injured the stock takes a small hit based on how serious that injury is and how the teams fortunes would change based on the level of severity.

You would have to peg it to a certain event with a payoff of 100.

For instance, the house, or someone who originally sells a "share" would be promising to pay the buyer $100 if the event comes true, i.e. Bills make playoffs, or win X games. It would be pretty easy to do a fun little thing with fake money.

I would say the Bills have about a 35% to make the playoffs. Some people would think that is nuts and they can't make it, and some people will think we still have a good team and will go. Ideally those two people would match up and make a trade where the optimist would buy from the pessimist. The pessimist would get paid $35 or whatever price agreed upon, and if the Bills don't make it he keeps the money. If they do make it, he would have to pay $100 at the end of the season, thus losing $65. The market comes into play week to week....if we lose our next 3 games, someone might only be willing to pay $6 or $8 on us making it.

Here is what I would start at based on our outlook.

Bills make playoffs $35

Wins:

4- $98

5- $90

6- $82

7- $65

8- $52

9- $40

10-$28

11-$14

12-$7

13-$3

14-$1

They have something like thast set up at The Ticket Reserve . com.

"The Ticket Reserve is a Fan Forwards market for ticket rights that works like a stock exchange. We are the place where sports fans can purchase Fan Forwards to secure face-value tickets to the biggest sporting events. Now you can purchase the rights to face-value tickets to see your favorite teams at the Super Bowl, Final Four and other high profile events. You can't get this anywhere else!"

For instance you can secure a Bills SB ticket at face value for a $50 fee. If the Bills make it to the SB you get your seat, or you can buy or sell those rights durring the season at the marketplace.

Obviously the better a team is doing the better the market value will be for thoses rights.

Indy's $50 ticket rights are now bidding at $310 and offering at $440. That means that if you had bought the rights when they were 1st offered at $50 you could sell them today for $310.

Eagles $460 - $669

Pats $290 - $390

You can also get ticket rights for the AFC Championships and next years SB.

Yes... that is exactly what I am thinking.  I don't know jack about the market or how this would work, but I would like to see if we have enough people here who could tell how to make it work...

456536[/snapback]

You have to include tax upon sales transactions - constructive receipt - otherwise folks will bet and sell short in the current state of the team, or short against the box and hedge their bets. :o