Interesting thought. Eli Manning - JPL?

Draconator

Was listening to KHTK (after Don and Mike), the idiot Grant Napier was singing the praises of Eli Manning, gave him an A for his performance yesterday, etc.

One thing he did say that caught my interest, is that he mentioned that he had seen Eli play every game, winning one of eight games, playing horribly in his first 5.

I started to think to JP. This is only his third game. He hasn't looked that good in the last two.

So, the questions are this. Are we pannicking too much about JP's performance? Should we give the kid more time to get his NFL bearings? Or is the writing on the wall about JP already?

We certainly have to give JPL a little more time. The comparison to the start of Eli Manning's career is apt. The Giants are just starting to feel like he can contribute--you see his numbers inch up a bit with every passing week. Better days are coming.

I'm not buying the rap of the doomsayers that make it sound like the only two options are win now with Holcomb, or suffer horribly for the next two seasons and realize that JPL is not an NFL QB.

The kid has a good work ethic, a great QB coach, and management that believe in him. His overthrows and underthrows are a combination of (1) nervous energy, (2) lack of experience reading coverage, and (3) an O-line that's less than solid.

Once any two of these factors are alleviated, you are going to see a dramatic improvement. Even if he is not cut out to be an NFL QB, you wouldn't be able to tell after three games.

11/21 ATL L 10-14 Yes 37 17 45.9 162 1 2 45.1 1 4 1 -1 -1.0 -1 0 0 0

11/28 PHI L 6-27 Yes 21 6 28.6 148 0 2 16.9 5 37 2 18 9.0 15 0 1 0

12/05 @WAS L 7-31 Yes 25 12 48.0 113 0 0 60.9 1 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

12/12 @BAL L 14-37 Yes 18 4 22.2 27 0 2 0 2 9 1 0 0 0 0 1 0

some pretty bad numbers there

We certainly have to give JPL a little more time.  The comparison to the start of Eli Manning's career is apt.  The Giants are just starting to feel like he can contribute--you see his numbers inch up a bit with every passing week.  Better days are coming.

456198[/snapback]

You are correct, except where you say a little more time- maybe we'll be lucky, and maybe it takes 3-5 years

So, the questions are this.  Are we pannicking too much about JP's performance?  Should we give the kid more time to get his NFL bearings?  Or is the writing on the wall about JP already?

456181[/snapback]

The fact that this question is asked about a young QB is an indication that some Balls fans have completely lost perspective (if they ever had it) about what most first-time starting QBs have to do to adapt to the pace of the NFL game.

"But Pitt won with BR last year!" :o Exception, not the rule. Get used to it. JPL could be a great QB. It's also possible that he will suck. Casting judgement after 3 NFL starts, either way, is utterly insipid. :lol:

The fact that this question is asked about a young QB is an indication that some Balls fans have completely lost perspective (if they ever had it) about what most first-time starting QBs have to do to adapt to the pace of the NFL game.

"But Pitt won with BR last year!"  :o  Exception, not the rule. Get used to it. JPL could be a great QB. It's also possible the he will suck. Casting judgement after 3 NFL starts, either way, is utterly insipid.  :lol:

456268[/snapback]

I was going to make a perspective comment, but after reading your signature, I can't say nothing but great things about you. :lol:

there is a HUGE learning curve for an nfl QB, and JP is going through it. Who else besides Big Ben ever had a good first year?

its the extreme exception, the rule is you struggle mightily until the game slows down for you.

anyone who thought differently is smoking some sweet wacky tabacccy.

the kid wil be good, but it will take time, experience, and lots of mistakes.

I was going to make a perspective comment, but after reading your signature, I can't say nothing but great things about you.  :lol:

456271[/snapback]

Sorry, Draco. My response was a bit too ad hominem. I was reacting in general frustration to what seems to be a total refusal by many Balls fans to allow JP to take his lumps and learn the game. I thought we expected this to be a relatively slow process, and for him to improve slowly over the course of 16 games. :o

Was listening to KHTK (after Don and Mike), the idiot Grant Napier was singing the praises of Eli Manning, gave him an A for his performance yesterday, etc. 

One thing he did say that caught my interest, is that he mentioned that he had seen Eli play every game, winning one of eight games, playing horribly in his first 5. 

I started to think to JP.  This is only his third game.  He hasn't looked that good in the last two.

So, the questions are this.  Are we pannicking too much about JP's performance?  Should we give the kid more time to get his NFL bearings?  Or is the writing on the wall about JP already?

456181[/snapback]

Good question. First, who are Don and mike? As for Eli, He has performed much better than JP, even if he hasn't been great yet. Second, if Eli was drafted tobe the next Peyton, I think there are legitimate concerns about his improvement. Look at where Peyton was his second season - 13-3. You think the Giants are going to be 13-3?

Good question.  First, who are Don and mike?  As for Eli, He has performed much better than JP, even if he hasn't been great yet.  Second, if Eli was drafted tobe the next Peyton, I think there are legitimate concerns about his improvement.  Look at where Peyton was his second season - 13-3.  You think the Giants are going to be 13-3?

456372[/snapback]

Eli's results from his 1st three starts are actually quite a bit worse than JP's. Look it up Thurman. :o

But look at where they are now.

456424[/snapback]

Uh, yeah, exactly. Which is why the idiots should just STFU and let JP learn how to play the position, so maybe next year he'll look like Manning does now. (Which, btw, still might not be good enough for the playoffs).