MM & TD need to make a decision

zow2

Clearly JP is overwhelmed at this level right now. He probably has what it takes to lead this team to maybe 3 wins this year. The staff needs to decide if they want to make this an on the job training year for JP?...or do they give Holcomb or Matthews a chance to "manage" the offense and get us some wins. We still have an entire slate of AFC games to play. I do believe either of those two guys could make the intermediate throws and make better decisions in the red zone. It's an interesting call to make. JP needs confidence but he won't get it on the bench. If he plays though, it's only a matter of time before people like Moulds starts bitching and the coaches who get paid tons of money to win games start feeling serious heat. Heck, they already are.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly JP is overwhelmed at this level right now.  He probably has what it takes to lead this team to maybe 3 wins this year.  The staff needs to decide if they want to make this an on the job training year for JP?...or do they give Holcomb or Matthews a chance to "manage" the offense and get us some wins.  We still have an entire slate of AFC games to play.  I do believe either of those two guys could make the intermediate throws and make better decisions in the red zone.  It's an interesting call to make.  JP needs confidence but he won't get it on the bench.  If he plays though, it's only a matter of time before people like Moulds starts bitching and the coaches who get paid tons of money to win games start feeling serious heat. Heck, they already are.

454180[/snapback]

That's the most intelligent post I've seen today.

Clearly JP is overwhelmed at this level right now.  He probably has what it takes to lead this team to maybe 3 wins this year.  The staff needs to decide if they want to make this an on the job training year for JP?...or do they give Holcomb or Matthews a chance to "manage" the offense and get us some wins.  We still have an entire slate of AFC games to play.  I do believe either of those two guys could make the intermediate throws and make better decisions in the red zone.  It's an interesting call to make.  JP needs confidence but he won't get it on the bench.  If he plays though, it's only a matter of time before people like Moulds starts bitching and the coaches who get paid tons of money to win games start feeling serious heat. Heck, they already are.

454180[/snapback]

If they could get the job done, they'd be in there already

Oh and before you guys start spouting off how bad Holcomb is remember he threw for like 500 yards at Pittsburgh in the playoffs a couple years ago and has had some huge passing days in very recent history. I like JP's spunk but he couldn't throw for 200 yds if he passed 50 times in a game.

454180[/snapback]

I made the same post prior to the season starting but I can't say I feel the same way after watching the first 3 games. If we keep giving up 200 yards rushing a game and pass protect like we have we won't win.

JP clearly needs to play much better for us to have any chance, but so does the rest of the team. We have played like crap in almost every faucet of the game the last two weeks. Maybe if the rest of the team looked playoff caliber I would agree but they just don't right now.

Oh and before you guys start spouting off how bad Holcomb is remember he threw for like 500 yards at Pittsburgh in the playoffs a couple years ago and has had some huge passing days in very recent history.  I like JP's spunk but he couldn't throw for 200 yds if he passed 50 times in a game.

454193[/snapback]

It will take him a month before he accumulates 200 yards. I'm ready for Holcomb

!

454180[/snapback]

They made that decision when they let go of Bledsoe and pronounced JP the starter. Stick to your guns.

454180[/snapback]

By the time they have indisputable evidence that JP isn't going to make the grade this season it will be too late to make a difference. If they pull him before the 6th game or so, they run the risk of ruining him or setting him back years. It will be obvious in a few weeks that the Bills are once again going nowhere. Then use Kelly to do what? Maybe it would make sense to alternate starts later when the season's lost to see what we have in a backup.

By the time they have indisputable evidence that JP isn't going to make the grade this season it will be too late to make a difference.  If they pull him before the 6th game or so, they run the risk of ruining him or setting him back years.  It will be obvious in a few weeks that the Bills are once again going nowhere.  Then use Kelly to do what?  Maybe it would make sense to alternate starts later when the season's lost to see what we have in a backup.

454212[/snapback]

That's a good idea. Submit the question to Mularkey this week.

454180[/snapback]

The problem is that the rest of out team is not good enough. Who will replace them?

454180[/snapback]

You bring up a valid arguement, but holcomb hasnt been as good as people think...people remember a few huge games he had, but on the whole, he's been simply ok... see my post here, which highlights holcomb's past performances...

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=29608&hl=

454180[/snapback]

They decided that when they named him the starter months ago: they're playing for the future.

They decided that when they named him the starter months ago: they're playing for the future.

454236[/snapback]

We're always playing for the future. JP is not Jim Kelly and we didn't come off a 2-14 season. It's like let's do it for the kids. LAME. The hell with the kids and the hell with Losman. If he improves in practices in the future, play him, otherwise bench him.

Just like kids, the cream always rises to the top. If he is cream, he will eventually rise. I just don't see it at this point.

Oh and before you guys start spouting off how bad Holcomb is remember he threw for like 500 yards at Pittsburgh in the playoffs a couple years ago and has had some huge passing days in very recent history.  I like JP's spunk but he couldn't throw for 200 yds if he passed 50 times in a game.

454193[/snapback]

Frank Reich brought us back from 32 points down- would you want him as your starter (in his prime)....it was 1 game

You bring up a valid arguement, but holcomb hasnt been as good as people think...people remember a few huge games he had, but on the whole, he's been simply ok... see my post here, which highlights holcomb's past performances...

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=29608&hl=

454233[/snapback]

I'll take ok.

A half a season like this - even to poor play with no flashes of brilliance - will do more to undermine his ability to lead the team when he is ready than sitting on the bench will.

Frank Reich brought us back from 32 points down- would you want him as your starter (in his prime)....it was 1 game

454264[/snapback]

Frank Reich is hundred times better than JP Losman. Frank Reich got us to our 3rd SuperBowl. He won the games against the Oilers and the Steelers and I thought he played beetter in that SB against the Cowboys than Kelly did. Reich could have started for half the teams in this league.

Frank Reich is hundred times better than JP Losman. Frank Reich got us to our 3rd SuperBowl. He won the games against the Oilers and the Steelers and I thought he played beetter in that SB against the Cowboys than Kelly did. Reich could have started for half the teams in this league.

454296[/snapback]

Reich didn't do much as a starter in Carolina.

PTR

If you yank Losman, then you better be ready to commit to Holcomb as your #1.  And if Holcomb tanks, then what?  Shane Matthews?  Put Losman back in?  How about spinning the Big Wheel of QBs to see who starts?

PTR

454303[/snapback]

Why not? Put the best QB that can win us ball games. If it's JP, I'll run with it. At this point, I don't think it is.