This is a tough one, folks.

stuckincincy

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The punt team could use him like a human cannon ball to block kicks by vaulting him over the protection to land on top of the punter.  <_<

449502[/snapback]

Penalties? altho I dont suppose they could flag him for "running into the kicker"...

Nice to see so many getting chuckles from a story such as this. The troll level at TBD is starting to get out of control. Also interesting that one of the biggest liberals on PPP (Campy) chooses to fall back on rules he assumes exist to justify the decision. I thought that to liberals, rules were to be set aside when they got in the way of doing the right thing.

This was the kid's fourth game. No issues with anyone in the first three. The Archdeacon article stated that the Ohio schools association confirmed over the weekend that the kid was indeed eligible to play and there would be no issues going forward. Someone asked how good a player he is. I don't know. He made the team, he gives his best effort, his teammates support him. Who is anyone to second-guess their decisions in this matter?

Nice to see so many getting chuckles from a story such as this.  The troll level at TBD is starting to get out of control.  Also interesting that one of the biggest liberals on PPP (Campy) chooses to fall back on rules he assumes exist to justify the decision.  I thought that to liberals, rules were to be set aside when they got in the way of doing the right thing.

449575[/snapback]

Aside from the fact that I haven't been on PPP in months, I'm not so sure it's entirely accurate to label me as a liberal (nevermind your twisted perception of liberalism) because I disagree with the current administrations policies on several issues.

In fact, most real conservatives agree with me on many of my beliefs.

Moving beyond you calling me out of the blue for no reason, I agree with you in that I fail to see the humor, but to each his own...

Nice to see so many getting chuckles from a story such as this. The troll level at TBD is starting to get out of control.

Seriously, since when is a little levity considered being a troll. Yeah, the kids story is touching but lighten up. Is this forum for serious talk only? Nothing annoys me more than the flagrant use of troll, troll, troll.

Someone asked how good a player he is.  I don't know.  He made the team, he gives his best effort, his teammates support him.  Who is anyone to second-guess their decisions in this matter?

449575[/snapback]

Like I said, I meant no offense by my question. I wondered if he was a contributing member of the team or someone they put in so that he can say he played. If he is intead a weekly player, that just adds to how impressed I am by this story.

Nice to see so many getting chuckles from a story such as this.  The troll level at TBD is starting to get out of control.  Also interesting that one of the biggest liberals on PPP (Campy) chooses to fall back on rules he assumes exist to justify the decision.  I thought that to liberals, rules were to be set aside when they got in the way of doing the right thing.

This was the kid's fourth game.  No issues with anyone in the first three.  The Archdeacon article stated that the Ohio schools association confirmed over the weekend that the kid was indeed eligible to play and there would be no issues going forward.  Someone asked how good a player he is.  I don't know.  He made the team, he gives his best effort, his teammates support him.  Who is anyone to second-guess their decisions in this matter?

449575[/snapback]

Troll? Bah! I was a bit upset at the ref's decision to not let the kid play especially after he played in the first 3 games. I am in not way making fun of the kid himself, because it takes a lot to go out and do your best, given the circumstances. And its not like we are making fun of him for not having legs.

The refs were a bit out of line not allowing him to play...after all, its not like the team asked the kid to take a knee at the end of the game...

Troll? Bah! I was a bit upset at the ref's decision to not let the kid play especially after he played in the first 3 games. I am in not way making fun of the kid himself, because it takes a lot to go out and do your best, given the circumstances. And its not like we are making fun of him for not having legs.

The refs were a bit out of line not allowing him to play...after all, its not like the team asked the kid to take a knee at the end of the game...

449595[/snapback]

Yeah MichFan, relax man. I'm sure everyone here admires this kid for his heart and ability to overcome a horrible deficiency. But you're in the wrong place if you thought there wouldn't be a few puns thrown in here or there...

As for his talent level, I'm sure he is decent. The coach wouldn't put somebody in if it gave the other team a leg up in the competition...

the same refs who booted him from the game threw a flag on him the next week -- for leg whipping. <_<

in all seriousness, i'm with backindaday on this one. this is a courageous kid to be sure -- and he deserves every opportunity that able-bodied kids enjoy. but there are just some things he can't (or shouldn't) do out of common sense. i would suggest that TACKLE football is one of them. doesn't his being in the game affect how it is played?

i wouldn't want to be the coach of the team playing against him. what do you tell your kids to do? block him? hit him? step on his hands? just leave him alone? i don't care how open minded you are; i don't think you can just say "treat him like everyone else." if you're an opponent, do you want to be the guy who has to block the kid with no legs? not only are there safety concerns, there are psychological concerns. if the friggin' refs don't know what to do, can you really expect kids to be able to deal with this stuff?

i'm glad he played in three games without incident. i'd like to hear what the opposing coach and players had to say about how they approached it -- perhaps they're far more enlightened than i am.

there are many sports in which he could participate freely -- FLAG football for example -- where the concerns associated with a violent sport like tackle football are greatly lessened or eliminated.

i'm all for open access and giving those with disabilities a chance to be as "normal" as possible. but sometimes you have to let common sense take over as well. i could be very wrong in my analysis, but i offer it with good intentions. the kid is obviously a pretty amazing individual.

Guest BackInDaDay
This was the kid's fourth game.  No issues with anyone in the first three.  The Archdeacon article stated that the Ohio schools association confirmed over the weekend that the kid was indeed eligible to play and there would be no issues going forward.  Someone asked how good a player he is.  I don't know.  He made the team, he gives his best effort, his teammates support him.  Who is anyone to second-guess their decisions in this matter?

449575[/snapback]

The opposing coaches.

The reality is, the only thing that kept him from being taken away in an ambulance in the first three games was the graciousness of his opponents.

The rest of these entities can play politics and wash their hands of the issue, but when the ball is snapped there is no way anyone - anyone! - can keep him out of harm's way but his opponent. He cannot be protected on a football field, he can only be avoided. Since when is the physical well-being of a football player the responsibility of the other team?