The Mike Williams Injury

Bill from NYC

Does anybody think that the weather may have had something to do with him not going back in?

Before this gets out of control, I am NOT calling him a slacker. My point is that players have died in training camp from the heat, and MW probably weighs 375. Yes, I would rather have him come out than to have risked a heat stroke if he or the trainers thought it possible. The weather was said to be unbearable by those in the stands.

To be perfectly honest, I AM thinking that the heat MAY have played a part in his staying off the field vs. the Bucs.

I hope I am correct, because we need him in there this week against the Falcons.

Yeah our Big Guys suffered in that heat...

It is early season after all and we need our best guys available all year. So if MW was faced with going in now and getting heat stroke or staying out and being healthy the rest of the season, I know what I want him to do.

449099[/snapback]

Precisely why London Fletcher didn't go back in, IMO.

Does anybody think that the weather may have had something to do with him not going back in?

Before this gets out of control, I am NOT calling him a slacker. My point is that players have died in training camp from the heat, and MW probably weighs 375. Yes, I would rather have him come out than to have risked a heat stroke if he or the trainers thought it possible. The weather was said to be unbearable by those in the stands.

To be perfectly honest, I AM thinking that the heat MAY have played a part in his staying off the field vs. the Bucs. 

I hope I am correct, because we need him in there this week against the Falcons.

449092[/snapback]

I always felt that Football season starts too early. If the season started a few weeks later, lets say the first full weekend after Autumn, then we wouldn't have to worry about these types of problems. Yes I know that October is still hot in Florida, but maybe starting the games a few weeks later and make the southern teams home games start at 4PM may help. It may make a better game for both the players and fans.

Precisely why London Fletcher didn't go back in, IMO.

449103[/snapback]

Players with single-digit body fat percentages (probably everyone who's not a lineman) are prone to cramps/muscle pulls in the heat; the fat guys weaken from losing 10-20lbs. Short of getting an IV during the game, there's not much you can do at that point. Strength and conditioning coaches usually get on them 1-2 days in advance to get hydrated. One player cramping up is not bad; if there were a bunch of them, someone's not getting the job done.

Hopefully that's all it was, and he'll be back this week.

This is funny:

The Texans left the roof to Reliant Stadium open on Sunday realizing it was going to be hot. They hoped that the heat would help wear down the Pittsburgh Steelers. It wound up just upsetting the fans though. The temperatures reportedly topped 100-degrees during the game, and many fans complained that the conditions were unbearable. The Texans plan to consider the ticket holders in their decisions prior to their next home game on Oct. 9 against the Tennessee Titans.

-- Houston Chronicle

Man, I hope Fletcher is ready to go this week.  We need him against Vick.  His speed is a big key.

449126[/snapback]

I think the key guy is going to be Jeff Posey...He will have to play the "spy"

position and keep Vick in check.....I hope Jeff will come with his A game.

Normally, that would be a very valid question and perhaps a legitimate problem.

However, since Sunday it would have only required him to go out 3 plays in a row and exert himself for about 4-5 seconds at a time b4 he would be back on the bench, it probably wasn't much of an issue. :(

449092[/snapback]

Nope. Same rationale as to why LF didn't return. You mess with an ankle on a big guy like MW in the second game of the year and you're setting up a problem that might last all season. In LF's case, a hammy "tweak" could become a hammy rip. Why take the chance in an intra-division road game in mid-September.

Nope.  Same rationale as to why LF didn't return.  You mess with an ankle on a big guy like MW in the second game of the year and you're setting up a problem that might last all season.  In LF's case, a hammy "tweak" could become a hammy rip.  Why take the chance in an intra-division road game in mid-September.

449263[/snapback]

You are probably right, but I would start limping too if I thought that sitting out would save me from getting a heat stroke.

Either way, I hope that he and London are OK.

I don't THINK it was the heat... Williams's injury looked kinda serious... I didn't see Fletcher's... however, either way, as long as they are both okay that's better than anything else. Like everyone else, I'd rather see them sit than play in a game and risk their health, especially this early in the season.

I always felt that Football season starts too early.  If the season started a few weeks later, lets say the first full weekend after Autumn, then we wouldn't have to worry about these types of problems.  Yes I know that October is still hot in Florida, but maybe starting the games a few weeks later and make the southern teams home games start at 4PM may help.  It may make a better game for both the players and fans.

449140[/snapback]

Right playing at 4PM makes it so much cooler, Dallas was 100 degrees on field at 9PM. I think the NFL seriously needs to look at scheduling games in the south this early in the year or teams like Buffalo need to rethink training camp to be in someplace like Raleigh were we havent had a day below 85 in weeks and humidty in the AM is around 100%

The heat in southern area stadiums is an early season advantage for the home team just as snow and cold in the late season benefits the teams from the North.

I knew heat would be a factor Sunday...but heat was not the primary factor. The primary factor was the offense's inability to get a 1st down until the 4th Qtr (exagerating). This cause our D to be on a hot and humid field trying to chase down that Caddilac SOB.

Consider how much whining happened here on the board this past summer because of the hot weather in B-lo...Now factor in all the gear these guys wear and you should be able to comprehend the issue.

Why do you think the President sent us into Iraq when he did? He knew the weather was rapidly getting hotter and was advised he had to go when he did...but that's a story for the PPP board...