Never Prouder To Be A Bills Fan

Bills fans seldom change allegences when they leave Buffalo.

That's what makes the difference. Not that there's anything wrong with people changing which team they root for, just rare in Bills fans. Also see: Steelers, Packers, maybe a few others. It's a small(er) town thing. Big city teams may have the same core number of die-hards, but that's also where most of the team-swapping W's come from.

Seldom heard words: "I used to be a Buffalo Bills fan, but..." or "I used to root for the Bills, then..." - I've heard those types of comments in reference to quite a few other teams.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seldom heard words: "I used to be a Buffalo Bills fan, but..." or "I used to root for the Bills, then..." - I've heard those types of comments in reference to quite a few other teams.

449204[/snapback]

Well said. I've NEVER heard someone say they "used to be a Bills fan." Once a Bills fan, always a Bills fan.

If we can survive 4 consecutive Super Bowl losess :(  we can perservere through anything.

449075[/snapback]

Survive 4 consecutive Super Bowl losses ??????

Personnally, I choose to celebrate 4 consecutive AFC championships ......... being a fan from the 60's also, I've "survived" the miserable 70's ..... I've survived a decade worth of straight losses to the Dolphins ...... the SB losses may have hurt at the moment .......... but damn ..... those were some fun years to be a Bills fan.

I was at a tailgate party at the Tampa game with Boomjamhead and we met 3 people from Rochester who had on Buc's jersey's. I asked if they were ever Bill's fans, they said yes, but now we live here. :(

I couldnt believe my ears. I like the Buc's, but the Bill's will always come first with me.

I am glad that you are proud.  But with that being said I had season tickets to the Bills games for 15 years when I live in Buffalo. I can tell you our fans are just as fair weather. many a game I sat there with 20,000 other people. When the Bills were 2-14 it was hard to find anyone wearing Bills gear.

It is the same everywhere.

449094[/snapback]

I agree to a point, since the kelly years though the support has been very good and we have had some some below average teams but the Ralph has been 70k plus.

Survive 4 consecutive Super Bowl losses ??????

Personnally, I choose to celebrate 4 consecutive AFC championships ......... being a fan from the 60's also, I've "survived" the miserable 70's ..... I've survived a decade worth of straight losses to the Dolphins ...... the SB losses may have hurt at the moment .......... but damn ..... those were some fun years to be a Bills fan.

449221[/snapback]

And just like we celebrated that first time we beat the felons in Sept 1980 ( I have a piece of the turf from that one ) we will celebrate hugely when we will be crowned World Champs.

I was always proud of the 4 straight AFC Championships but loosing its luster with Pats winning 3 of 4 and walking away with the grand prize.

Imagine you knew little about NFL football and the Bills.

If you read these message boards over the past few days, you'd think the sky was falling, the practice facilty was in flames, coaches were throwing themselves off the upper deck of The Ralph, and fans were tearing apart their Officially Licensed Bills Gear.

We in Bills Nation have vented, fumed, wrung our hands and analyzed everything but the soil chemistry during the Buccaneers game Sunday.  But even the most vicious critics of the game strategy and personnel last week will be at The Ralph; in rec rooms and home theaters; and in sports bars all over the U.S. this Sunday hoping against hope that the Bills will prevail.  (A dozen or so of us will be sitting in a small sports bar in Manchester, NH--in the heart of "Patriots Nation."  More on that later.)

We are unique among NFL fans.  Very few teams have fans with the same passion; Cleveland and Pittsburgh come to mind.

I've been a fan since 1965.  Some of you have been fans since the beginning of the franchise, and some of you came on board in the past few years.  What we all share is a willingness to believe (billieve) that some way, somehow we will prevail and will see that Lombardi Trophy at Ralph Wilson Stadium soon.

That's why, even in the darkest seasons during the past 40 years, Ralph Wilson knew that there's always be a contingent of faithful fans sitting in seats at home games.  Our attendance fell off, to be sure, but we were still there.

I'll close with some perspective on our AFC East rivals, the Patriots' fans.

I have watched "Patriots Nation" with a great deal of amusement over the past twenty years.  Back in '85, when I moved to New Hampshire, I was able to walk up to Foxboro Stadium on game days and get great seats to a Bills-Pats game.  The Bills would usually prevail, and Foxboro would be half-empty by the end of the 3rd.

You might see the occasional Grogan jersey around town, but the fans around here pretty much abandoned their team for years.  When they started winning, you could hear the "fans" pounding nails into the bandwagon they were building.  Now, it's practically lwritten into the law that you have to wear Patriots anything around here, and even Dunkin Donuts has the Official Breakfast Sandwich of the New England Patriots.

They are a great team.  Their fans, on the other hand, are the most capricious, mercurial, fair-weather group in the NFL.  On opening night, when Robert Kraft pronounced that they are the "greatest fans in the world," I had to laugh.  Kraft didn't own the team when the stadium was half-empty back in the day, but he will in a few years when the Pats start to decline and the Bills rise to the top team in the AFC again.  He can have all the pre-game fireworks and rock concerts he wants, but that won't fill seats.

That's why I have never been prouder to be a Bills fan:  I know, deep down, that even if the Bills lose some games this season in horrendous fashion, there will still be a core of loyal fans prepared to back this team.

Go Bills!

449044[/snapback]

Sound's like your living in hell.....Im a pat fan who lived in other area's of the country and enjoyed the rivalry with fan's of other team's.... In north carolina gotta love the pulled pork barbeque's and my new england recipe's I cooked up along with a great game and verbal jousting made it more entertaining, of course the pat's won .... A few year's before that I was in tennesse I had same goodtime in knoxville as I did in N.C, Pat's were just 9 and 7 that year, hell we lost that game...Tenneseean's are unbelievable volunteer's of their well, volunteer's..... That was impressive seeing those orange flag's everywhere... anyway I just enjoyed those type's of situation's more....Excuse the babaling like a babolonian,Im not your typical newenglandah who lived within 60 mile's of M.I.T and harvard and think IM smahht cuz of the proximity to those school's.... I think that what your hating is the people and rightfully so, there is some notorious attitude's in that area of the country....So enjoy the no income and sale's tax benefit and remember it's Newhampsha long dark winter's, and it took 86 year's year's for the sox and 40 year's for the pat's for these people to go nut's, so let em, someday you will too... And I will be cheering for ya team while Im chowing down chickenwing's and having genesee cream ale.... sincerely a patsy troll who will soon contribute a recipe, and oh yeah you apparentlyou have to deal withpressure to your son... man oh man, the kid will be dropping the r'sssssss and be hooking school and sitin in fenway before you know it... Hey goodluck this season .....

I am glad that you are proud.  But with that being said I had season tickets to the Bills games for 15 years when I live in Buffalo. I can tell you our fans are just as fair weather. many a game I sat there with 20,000 other people. When the Bills were 2-14 it was hard to find anyone wearing Bills gear.

It is the same everywhere.

449094[/snapback]

ah but how many games did we sell out a few years ago when we were 3-13? 6 or something like that. it was a lot.

Let's just hope that Ralph has the hootzbah to do what it takes to bring some winning mentality into the organization soon. We all want a winner, but so much negligence ain't gonna bring one. It's nice and fun to "keep waiting" or "keep hoping" but there are formulas for success and they aren't being followed in Buffalo now.

Good post, but facts are facts.

Imagine you knew little about NFL football and the Bills.

If you read these message boards over the past few days, you'd think the sky was falling, the practice facilty was in flames, coaches were throwing themselves off the upper deck of The Ralph, and fans were tearing apart their Officially Licensed Bills Gear.

We in Bills Nation have vented, fumed, wrung our hands and analyzed everything but the soil chemistry during the Buccaneers game Sunday.  But even the most vicious critics of the game strategy and personnel last week will be at The Ralph; in rec rooms and home theaters; and in sports bars all over the U.S. this Sunday hoping against hope that the Bills will prevail.  (A dozen or so of us will be sitting in a small sports bar in Manchester, NH--in the heart of "Patriots Nation."  More on that later.)

We are unique among NFL fans.  Very few teams have fans with the same passion; Cleveland and Pittsburgh come to mind.

I've been a fan since 1965.  Some of you have been fans since the beginning of the franchise, and some of you came on board in the past few years.  What we all share is a willingness to believe (billieve) that some way, somehow we will prevail and will see that Lombardi Trophy at Ralph Wilson Stadium soon.

That's why, even in the darkest seasons during the past 40 years, Ralph Wilson knew that there's always be a contingent of faithful fans sitting in seats at home games.  Our attendance fell off, to be sure, but we were still there.

I'll close with some perspective on our AFC East rivals, the Patriots' fans.

I have watched "Patriots Nation" with a great deal of amusement over the past twenty years.  Back in '85, when I moved to New Hampshire, I was able to walk up to Foxboro Stadium on game days and get great seats to a Bills-Pats game.  The Bills would usually prevail, and Foxboro would be half-empty by the end of the 3rd.

You might see the occasional Grogan jersey around town, but the fans around here pretty much abandoned their team for years.  When they started winning, you could hear the "fans" pounding nails into the bandwagon they were building.  Now, it's practically lwritten into the law that you have to wear Patriots anything around here, and even Dunkin Donuts has the Official Breakfast Sandwich of the New England Patriots.

They are a great team.  Their fans, on the other hand, are the most capricious, mercurial, fair-weather group in the NFL.  On opening night, when Robert Kraft pronounced that they are the "greatest fans in the world," I had to laugh.  Kraft didn't own the team when the stadium was half-empty back in the day, but he will in a few years when the Pats start to decline and the Bills rise to the top team in the AFC again.  He can have all the pre-game fireworks and rock concerts he wants, but that won't fill seats.

That's why I have never been prouder to be a Bills fan:  I know, deep down, that even if the Bills lose some games this season in horrendous fashion, there will still be a core of loyal fans prepared to back this team.

Go Bills!

449044[/snapback]

Blah...Blah...Blah...Blah......

We are so special......

We are the best fans....

Either your with us or your against us......

Why do they hate us?

Blah..Blah..Blah...Blah...