I am ready to move on

Fan in Chicago

As low as I was feeling yesterday and this morning, it is a bit better now. As several people have pointed out, this was the best game to lose - road, non-division, very good defense. Having agonized for about 24 hours now, I am ready to start thinking about Atlanta. Thoughts:

- Vick may or may not be injured but we should know soon enough. The game planning obviously changes based on who the QB is but I would like to see Vick playing. First because it feels bad that anybody is injured and secondly, we should play teams at their full strength to truly know what kind of a team we have

- Atlanta O doesn't do much of anything except for Vick rushing (111 yards in 2 games). Passing has been fairly pathetic (279 yards total in 2 games). JP has 283 so we are close.

- Defense may be the stongest part of Atlanta though this may not be saying much as Seattle gained a total of 428 yards.

- The Eagles game must have been a fluke considering that all points scored by Atl came in the first quarter and Eagles did not really do anything well on O that day.

All in all, this looks like a very winnable game and one in which our O needs to do about the same as in the Houston game - not too much but just enough with no turnovers. We will not have to play outstanding to get past them, but do need to make sure all units are showing up.

Can we please stop ruminating, b1tching about yesterday and start talking about the next game ?

Yes, thank you FIC, let's move one. The Bills have another real test next week. I don't think that the Eagles game was a fluke. From what I saw the Seattle O Line was unreal. This leads me to believe that we have a great potential to struggle because our Oline pretty much sucked yesterday.

Something that I would like to see corrected next week is that we "take it to" our opponent. We were clearly overmatched in intensity all day long against the Bucs. They pushed us around and we let them. We did not "power" run at all, and basically let them dictate the game to us. Much the same that we did to the Texans a couple weeks back. But again, our Oline has to show up. And JP has to settle down and make throws on target. Maybe he should watch some tape on Kyle Orton and see how a "rookie" should play

Atlanta's a very good team, but they're on a tough three-game stretch -

1. big emotional game Monday night at home against Philly, then

2. short-week travel to the west coast to play Seattle, then fly cross country back home to practice, then

3. travel to Buffalo for the game on Sunday.

Whew! Going on the road after a west coast road game has got to be tough. Good time to meet them.

Good time to meet them.

446651[/snapback]

Whole heartedly agree. But I would still like to beat them with Vick playing.

Nemhoff, what you are suggesting is that we need to play with more swagger. It appears that the team cannot believe it can win and are just shy of asserting themselves. Might be true. Also, the first week's win and subsequent +ve press went to their heads and this was just the game to remind them not to get too relaxed and cocky. Whatever the case might be, I think this is the timely wake-up call. Better this early in the season rather than late when playoffs invitees are decided.

Whole heartedly agree. But I would still like to beat them with Vick playing.

Nemhoff, what you are suggesting is that we need to play with more swagger. It appears that the team cannot believe it can win and are just shy of asserting themselves. Might be true. Also, the first week's win and subsequent +ve press went to their heads and this was just the game to remind them not to get too relaxed and cocky. Whatever the case might be, I think this is the timely wake-up call. Better this early in the season rather than late when playoffs invitees are decided.

446879[/snapback]

Matt Schaub is a pretty accurate QB and will not be a pushover...What we

need is our D to come up big again.....and have Losman not make mistakes...

I feel great about the Bills chances against the Falcons. I am not as impresed with the Falcons as most others are. I know the Falcons beat the Eagles, but if anyone watched that game from start to finish, they would see that it was not a dominant performance. The Falsons scored all their points in the 1st quarter, from that point on their offense went south.

Can anyone say that the Falcons have a legitimate receiving threat, besides Alge Crumpler? Until Michael Jenkins & Roddy White step up, you will see passes going to only Crumpler. Which leaves with their running trio of Dunn, Vick, & Duckett.

While Vick will make plays with his legs, it does not always mean he will score TD's. I think the Bills defense has what it takes to shut down the Falcons offense.

As far as the Bills offense goes, Losman will have to expect more blitzing, from a swift Falcons defense. Also a good DE in Patrick Kearney. Losman will have to exploit a Falcons secondary that can be had. Willis McGahee will have to step up and have a big day.

I think this is a very winnable game for the Bills.

I feel great about the Bills chances against the Falcons. I am not as impresed with the Falcons as most others are. I know the Falcons beat the Eagles, but if anyone watched that game from start to finish, they would see that it was not a dominant performance. The Falsons scored all their points in the 1st quarter, from that point on their offense went south.

Can anyone say that the Falcons have a legitimate receiving threat, besides Alge Crumpler? Until Michael Jenkins & Roddy White step up, you will see passes going to only Crumpler. Which leaves with their running trio of Dunn, Vick, & Duckett.

While Vick will make plays with his legs, it does not always mean he will score TD's. I think the Bills defense has what it takes to shut down the Falcons offense.

As far as the Bills offense goes, Losman will have to expect more blitzing, from a swift Falcons defense. Also a good DE in Patrick Kearney. Losman will have to exploit a Falcons secondary that can be had. Willis McGahee will have to step up and have a big day.

I think this is a very winnable game for the Bills.

447225[/snapback]

This is the key to the whole season regardless of opponent. As yesterday showed, if we can't pass we will struggle to win. Last season things started to turn around when Bledsoe found alternate targets to Moulds in the passing game. This year things will turn around when JP can prove he can make plays with his arm.

Yeah it looks like teams will shut down our run and force JP to beat them with his skills (sol). I actually hope Vick plays, because a wounded Vick could be more vunerable than a healthy Schaub. At least it's another non divisional opponent and a lose is not the end of the world. I have great confidence in our backup qb's.

The Falcons Seahawks game was shown on TV over here on Sunday - so I got a good look at the Falcons and what we can expect this week.

First things first, if Vick is in the game then we'll have a LB tied up spying him the whole game. It's really the only way to play him and the Seahawks did a good job of containing him to a point. We need to be really balanced and patient - sending too many on a Blitz just tempts Vick to look for gaps to run in. The DE's and OLBs need to stick to their assignments (which will be contain first and foremost) to the letter.

Second, the Falcons can really run the ball - and I will not be surprised to see them institute the Ron Edwards plan as well. Their OL can move and get down field so it's going to be essential to have Fletcher back in the middle but if we can stop Warrick Dunn getting to the outside or running off tackle (i.e. force them into the middle of the field) then we can mop up with the pursuit. Dunn didn't have loads of success taking it inside against the Seahawks. TJ Duckett will come in near the goalline, and with a back like that we just need to get to him hard and fast, but I don't think we'll see him between the 20s.

On D their skill lies at DL and LB, particularly on the left side (2 probowlers on the LDL). That said Patrick Kerney really was neutralised by Walter Jones by getting his arms out and being in good position. Kerney gets to the outside and doesn't show too much of an inside move at all, so Gandy will have to play big and wide.

The Seahawks had success in the first half getting Matt Hasselbeck moving laterally to just outside where the tackle lines up and their OL managed to get a really nice moving pocket for him to throw from. The soft spots in the Falcons D are going to be to the oustide/flats and down the seams. They will want to tempt JP into dropping some long. I also noticed they like to over pursue a little, only the DE on the backside has any type of contain, so some misdirection and playaction bootlegs might be a good weapon.

The main success for the Seahawks was running the ball over the guards. Their OL opened some big holes for Alexander who was really patient all day and hit the holes hard when they opened. Willis does not need to be timid against this D - they will start to wilt if we smack them in the mouth hard. The Sehawks really let the Falcons back in the game by going too cute...