(OT) 3rd grader problems

Frez

My son who is 8 years old has a bit of a problem with his 3rd grade teacher. First let me tell you about my boy. He's an outgoing, rough playing lots of friends type of kid. He's never been fearful of school until now. Here's the problem, he comes home from school with a tear in his eye saying how much his 3rd grade teacher yells at the class. He eats dinner at night with tears in his eyes worrying about school the next day. He goes to bed at night and wakes in the morning with tears in his eyes worrying about his teacher yelling and screaming. This teacher has been teaching for at least 30 years. She has always taught the older children until now. Now she is teaching the 3rd graders. I was worried from the start that the younger kids would fear her. She has always been known to be a screamer and many children have had problems with her in the past. My question is what do I do first? Do I go right to the principal and ask for my son to be in a different classroom or do I go see the teacher first? I just don't think the teacher is going to change now for my son. My son does not respond to screaming teachers. I feel it would be best for him to have another teacher. I would like to hear your thoughts please.

Thanks Frez

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to the principle, then go to the board of education and file a complaint.

I had a creep for a first grade teacher. What she used to do to the not so rich kids.

She shoved my friend Susan Sieleckia in a closet cause she had a problem adding.

My mother and other mothers took it to the board. Surely this whale was fired.

Maybe you should talk to the other parents first. From what I know of teachers or administrators, they are likely to dismiss the concerns of any one parent. You will have a higher chance at addressing the problem if a group of parents confronts the principal or the Superintendent's office.

If this teacher has been around a while, than her style should be well known to the school, but you should let them know if her style is causing that level of discomfort in your child (and likely other children as well).

Good luck.

I would go directly to the principal so, that in case the switch cannot be made for some reason, the teacher may not know about your request and harbor ill will towards your boy for the rest of the year.

Not seeing the teacher will also prevent the overwhelming temptation to beat her with a large stick.

If the principal is unwilling/incapable of doing anything, only then would I go in and do my very best to have a friendly, honest, congenial meeting with the overbearing shrew. If the problem continues after that I would go in and tell her very quietly that from now on every single day that your boy comes home in tears, you are going to show up at her home screaming like a wildman to see how she likes it.

Cya

I would check with the other parents first, see if they are having the same responses from their kids. If you have a group of parents who present the same case, they could reassign the teacher. If your guy is the only one affected then I would check with the Principal about changing teachers for your guy. In either event I would go through the principal first, but try to get a consensus of the other parents first.

one example- Little "Johnny" was writing a paper in her class, she came by and looked at it and then crumbled it up on his desk and told him it was not neat enough. My son said the kid put his head down on the desk and cried.

Go to the principle, then go to the board of education and file a complaint.

I had a creep for a first grade teacher. What she used to do to the not so rich kids.

She shoved my friend Susan Sieleckia in a closet cause she had a problem adding.

My mother and other mothers took it to the board. Surely this whale was fired.

31571[/snapback]

True story.....when my oldest brother was in first grade, the nasty old nun (Catholic school in the 60s of course) sat the kids according to how

"smart" they were (how she determined that is anyone's guess). Smartest kid sat in the first seat of the first row...second smartest in the next seat and so on. My brother was put in the dumb row (in the back). Unfrigginbelievable.

Well, there is your first parent, get on the phone... This teacher may be able to get away with this with 7-th graders, but with the younger ones it won't cut it. Call some of the parents get a controlled argument for her reassignment, and then present your argument to the principle or board. Keep the pitchforks in the car for the first meeting.

FREZ- I had the same problem when i was in 4th grade. I had my parents go and talk with the teacher with me. Then with the intention that if things were not better we were going to go to the principal and then to the priest/school board. It stopped and she changed her attitude and the way she taught.

If it was me, I would go to the principal and have my kid switched. It sounds like the teacher is too old to change her style. Also, by talking to other parents, they may beat you to switching teachers and your kid may be stuck.

Tell the principal all of your reasons to switch and don't take no for an answer. They might try to talk you into giving the teacher another chance. Your kid comes FIRST! Get him out of that environment before you go postal.

Is the yelling directed at your son? Or the class in general? If it is at your son, then find out what he is doing wrong, and fix it so she stops yelling. If she yells at the class in general, and not to a specific kid, have your kids suck it up.

Actually, I find most public schools to be nonresponsive to parents. They dismiss all concerns as if it is your childs issue, and not the school or teacher. My experience with a private is slightly better, but still not very good.

Take a day off and make an appointment to observe the class. Whether or not she is willing to have you in will say a lot about her methods. My mother has taught 1-5th for about 30 years and has appreciated occasional parental help...

Thanks for the opinions, I will keep you posted. Still haven't decided which way we are going with this.

31933[/snapback]

Get in there ASAP. Your child needs you to act now. Sounds like a real winner of a teacher with an attitude of untouchable tenure. Call the other parents to consult, go in as a group and just drill the Principal.

Always go to the teacher first. She just may be frustrated where she is and needs some help realizing that she is taking it on the children. She may not realize she is doing it. I know teachers like this and I always think it is better to see them first, then if you are not satisfied then see the principal. You don't want to alienate the teacher if you don't see her first.

Good Luck!