(OT) 3rd grader problems

Frez

Parent teacher first , then based on your assessment of that discussion you either give it time or go directly to the principal. Good teachers at this age can captivate children, bad ones can have a detrimental affect for years .

31569[/snapback]

I second this action. You almost have to go the teacher first even if it doesn't change anything. This will give you more credibility with the principal and school board, if it goes that far.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why I suggested observing the class.  I very well may be that something is happening that the teacher is oblivious about.  If you have enough interest to take time off and spend it in a classroom, you'll accomplish two things.  The teacher will give more attention to your son.  You will also have a better idea whether or not your son is too sensitive.

32100[/snapback]

Totally agree. You have to be a "player" first.

Parents have to take active interest in the workings of the class first. If your life is too busy... Then there is a partial problem.

Another thing could be to volunteer for field trips. Get innvolved to look at the situation.

Just my two cents.

The first thing I would need to do is keep my wife from bodyslamming (former GLOW wrestler) this woman through a window.......so parent teacher is probably out of the question......

I would go to the principle immediately and first ask nicely.....if he says know then I would threaten a law suit against the school district for mental abuse by this a hole teacher

But...in the back of my mind I would probably really enjoy the 1st option.......watching my wife get physical gets me hot.....

These things can be a pain in the but.......my 8 year old daughter was getting picked on and even slapped once by this group of girls in her class last year.....after school was over we decided to let her join into a karate class (mostly because she loves dance and those classes are really expensive...the Karate was much cheaper)

She took to it immediately and very quickly the teacher of the class had taken her under his wing......well about a week ago those same girls caught up to my daughter on the playground thinking it was open season again.  My wife gets a call from the office and sure enough my daughter had kicked one of the girls in the stomach and she started cryin.....the school was actually mad at MY daughter even though she was defending herself against 3 girls......

Needless to say I went right to the mat for her with the principal....."where was all this concern when my girl was getting slapped around last year?....it isn't like we didn't report it"

The principal asked me to have a talk with my daughter.....I told her I definately would....the next time make sure to go for the face instead of the gut so they can have a shining reminder of why you should bully other people.......

To the principal..... :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

32458[/snapback]

YAWN

First of all, I would not wait to see if it resolves itself. I think if you know any of the other parents in the class it might be an easy step to compare notes. I think going in to observe is certainly an option. The teacher may or may not be open to that. If she is not open to it, then I would tell her what you're having a problem with. Give it no more than a couple days. My guess is that it's going to be tough to teach this old dog new tricks. I think it would be a rare teacher who can adapt after thirty years, and she's probably not highly motivated to do so. I think screamers are often lazy teachers, putting in time until they can retire. She may be angry that the school isn't offering a retirement incentive and taking it out on the kids. Go up the chain of command: principal, superintendent, school board. If you don't get satisfaction at any level, either getting your son transferred to another class, getting the teacher switched or dismissed, you have a tough choice. You can pull your son and send him to a private school or do home schooling, or you can consult with a lawyer about taking legal action. All of these are serious steps, but if everything is as you say she could be causing emotional damage to a lot more kids than your son, and she needs to be stopped if at all possible.