What makes the Offensive Line?

SDS

After 18 games, I'm a bit disappointed that our OL has not made greater strides under MacNally.

San Diego, Pittsburgh, New England, Denver, Carolina... I don't believe anyone of these teams is loaded with 1st/2nd round talent on the line. SD has an undrafted FA and a 7th rounder on the right side.

Yet those teams have solid run blocking OLs year after year. That implies coaching. We haven't had a real good line since Jim Ringo left over a decade ago...

So, is it coaching or players that make the line?

445998[/snapback]

It is a little of both. A coach can only take things so far. The players need to take it from there. You can drill discipline all you want, but if the player's mind is not in the game, you will see penalties.

Both the coach and the player share responsibility for successes and failures.

Scott, I think you mean Coach Bresnahan.  Ringo has been long gone for more than two decades

446053[/snapback]

February 6, 1989 JIM RINGO RETIRES

Bills offensive coordinator and offensive line coach Jim Ringo retired, ending a 21-year coaching career, which followed a 15-year Hall of Fame playing career with the Green Bay Packers and Philadelphia Eagles.

Ringo is the man that set us up for our Super Bowl run...

February 6, 1989 JIM RINGO RETIRES

Bills offensive coordinator and offensive line coach Jim Ringo retired, ending a 21-year coaching career, which followed a 15-year Hall of Fame playing career with the Green Bay Packers and Philadelphia Eagles.

Ringo is the man that set us up for our Super Bowl run...

446066[/snapback]

Maybe DeeRay was counting using the VABills math: 16 years equals 2 decades. :doh:

It is a little of both. A coach can only take things so far. The players need to take it from there. You can drill discipline all you want, but if the player's mind is not in the game, you will see penalties.

Both the coach and the player share responsibility for successes and failures.

446059[/snapback]

Maybe it is the talent evaluation abilities of the coaches then? Certain teams pump them out every year with players we could have easily obtained, while we are still waiting 15 years later.

Maybe it is the talent evaluation abilities of the coaches then?  Certain teams pump them out every year with players we could have easily obtained, while we are still waiting 15 years later.

446073[/snapback]

IMO, TD's talent selection leaves MUCh to be desired.

Our first two picks this year have done NOTHING to contribute.

Maybe it is the talent evaluation abilities of the coaches then?  Certain teams pump them out every year with players we could have easily obtained, while we are still waiting 15 years later.

446073[/snapback]

Talent evaluation also plays a part. You need to find people who can keep their heads in the game. They may not have the best technique, but if they play smart and concentrate, you will be in good shape. You also need a QB with pocket awareness.

This subject is too complex to boil it down to one or two areas, IMO.

I did not realize Ringo came back for a couple years in the lte 80's...my bad...

Anyway, take a look at the line in that era. Wolford, Ritcher were #1 picks. Parker was a 1st or 2nd. Hull was the best C in the USFL, John Davis (plan B FA), and Howard Ballard were pretty good talents. They brought in Fina as a number one a couple years later and Ruben Brown three or 4 years later.

Bills Mgt. haven't placed much weight in drafting linemen high in the last 5 drafts... except for Mike Williams... who has turned out to be average, at best. Jennings was a 3rd rounder, Pucillo a 7th. I think Preston and Geisinger were 3rd and 5th rd. picks. Instead they bring in guys like Villarial, Anderson, Teague, Tucker, Price, Smith, and Gandy... all, except for, perhaps, Villarial are considered below average performers (journymen types) around the league.

Sure, I think you can certainly find good Olinemen in those rounds, but rarely do they get plugged right in in their 1st or even 2nd year. They sort of "season" and evolve and move in when the frontliners either get injured or contracts expire.

I think if you say you're going to build a smash mouth offense, you better start up front and invest in the first two rounds. In the past 5 drafts, the Bills have only done that once. On the other side of the ball they've done it thrice in 5 years. This shows me that what the Bills brass says and what the Bills brass do are two different things. If they were serious they'd eaither lay out serious cash for solid free agent olinemen or draft them higher. It does absolutely no good to draft skill players like Evans, Losman, McGahee, Reed, and Parish with high picks and then not provide the horses up front.

This team won't get over the hump until they start placing a higher value on the Oline and investing in higher picks on the o line.

446073[/snapback]

Too much emphasis on sprint times, leverage, etc. They are all big fast and talented.

Sit the prospect in a chair next to 2 others in a chair. Chew up a bunch of newspaper spitballs. Start flinging them, and pick the potential draftee that reacts the quickest to BOTH deflecting the ones directed at him and defelecting those aimed at his chairmates.

You can work on the physical details. Draft the ones that have a quickness of mind - what the armed services call "situation awareness".

IMO, TD's talent selection leaves MUCh to be desired.

Our first two picks this year have done NOTHING to contribute.

446075[/snapback]

Maybe because they're both injured? :(

Or is it your assertion that only untalented players get hurt? :)

After 18 games, I'm a bit disappointed that our OL has not made greater strides under MacNally.

San Diego, Pittsburgh, New England, Denver, Carolina... I don't believe anyone of these teams is loaded with 1st/2nd round talent on the line.  SD has an undrafted FA and a 7th rounder on the right side.

Yet those teams have solid run blocking OLs year after year. That implies coaching. We haven't had a real good line since Jim Ringo left over a decade ago...

445998[/snapback]

I think McNally needs to start learning the blocking technique deployed by the Pats, but than again we might end up getting flagged every play for holding. Its amazing how the Pats plug in OL men and can pass protect and run the ball, we plug in guys with someone considered best OL coach of all time and they cant open a decent hole to save their lives.

I know many would like to see Nate retained next year but damn we need to get focus on fixing this OL ASAP.