Our weaknesses are obvious

jahnyc

I should rephrase that: our potential weaknesses are obvious. We have a second year qb who did not play last year, an oline that could be more talented and which lacks depth, a starting dt who may be better as a reserve than a starter and and a def line which lacks depth.

We have been discussing these things for months; there are no mysteries here. Opposing coaches understand our potential weaknesses and it is up to our coaches to compensate for them.

Please upgrade the oline next season. It will take some of the pressure off of JP and help the rbs and the defense.

I'll grant you that in run blocking at times they haven't been good, but overall I don't think our OL is that bad. JP had time to throw the ball today for the most part, he just wasn't connecting or perhaps, seeing the play develop. This is something that we have to live with for a while with a young guy under center.

I love Drew, but he and RJ the past several seasons made the O-line look a lot worse in pass protection than they actually were. Don't get me wrong, improvement can be made... it's a mediocre O-line, but I don't see it as amongst the worst in the league by any stretch.

I'll grant you that in run blocking at times they haven't been good, but overall I don't think our OL is that bad. JP had time to throw the ball today for the most part, he just wasn't connecting or perhaps, seeing the play develop. This is something that we have to live with for a while with a young guy under center.

I love Drew, but he and RJ the past several seasons made the O-line look a lot worse in pass protection than they actually were. Don't get me wrong, improvement can be made... it's a mediocre O-line, but I don't see it as amongst the worst in the league by any stretch.

445832[/snapback]

I agree....look, JP is just going to have to hit his passes. I know he's new and he needs time to get a feel for the speed of the game, but he's got to get it done. If he's going to miss this many throws, then we just need to suck it up with our running game and pound Willis, Shaud, and Gates over and over and over. We don't have a stellar line, but the talent there should be adequate when you have this many playmakers around them. There is no excuse for us not establishing our running game EVERY game. The offense just needs to find a way to get it done, keep our defense off the field, and win these friggin games.

I should rephrase that:  our potential weaknesses are obvious.  We have a second year qb who did not play last year, an oline that could be more talented and which lacks depth, a starting dt who may be better as a reserve than a starter and and a def line which lacks depth.

We have been discussing these things for months; there are no mysteries here.  Opposing coaches understand our potential weaknesses and it is up to our coaches to compensate for them.

Please upgrade the oline next season.  It will take some of the pressure off of JP and help the rbs and the defense.

445803[/snapback]

I was also surprised that we got stomped so bad today and overall I think we were simply outplayed and beaten by a team which performed better than us in their home grounds and just flat outplayed us in multiple facets of the game.

I thought it incredibly unlikely that the prediction of one pundit that our offense would not be able to score a TD and said so and I was flat-out wrong.

Perhaps it is merely adding mistakes to my mistake but some problems you saw as rather obvious struck me as not the main issue and other problems I thought were big you did not mention.

1. I was actually impressed by a number of things JP did that young QBs do not do (he repeated a great performance last week when he seemed to pull the Texans offside 4 times in a quarter by also having TB go offiside 3 times against the Bills and part of this was likely his cadence, hpwever it made no difference in the effectiveness of their D, he demonstrated some pretty good pocket awareness escaping when the pocket was collapsing but also hanging in there but getting off the pass before he was hit, the throws often were not accurate but I think he only had 1 sack this game).

JP sucked but it seemed to me he simply needed to be more accurate and the run game needed to produce and I am not sure more experience or a year of losing would have made the difference here.

2. The OL was no impressive in getting good push on running plays, but the pass pro for him did not seem to have him running for his life all the time or getting hit all the time either. I think there was little detectable drop-off after MW left so I'm not sure where your depth complaint comes from.

3. The DL was obviously unable to stop the run and the D looked nothing like the 85 Bears or the Ravens unit Gray challenged them to be. However, the jury is still out on how much of this was the real Bills run D shhowing up yesterday rather than the one that killed the Texans. It is tempting to say this was because Cadillac is the real deal, but even Pittman pealed off one nice run. I am not convinced that the difference here is simply PW being better than Edwards since Adams us still there and Edwards has shown some good stuff in some situations. We'll see but rather than being obvious this one needs more data before solid conclusions can be drawn.

In terms of problems:

1. I think the Bills need to adjust how they implement the scheme with the players they have. Adams will need to use his ample bulk to play the run if Edwards alone cannot hold the middle. We often use the quick first step of Adams as a blitz tool, we may need to get him to look at the run first and instead rely on the zone blitz for pressure.

2. The safety struck me as being the result of a couple of aggressive goal line plays that did not work and one of the key reasons they did not work was the failure of WM to be effective on blitz pick-up. The RB (I couldn't read the number but assume it was WM failed to engage effectively or cut down the rushing DL player when he escaped the OL block and blocked the JP pass. On 3rd down JP seemed for some reason to not read the all-out rush coming from the left side and WM clearly missed a blitz pick-up on the rush which pushed JP out of the back of the endzone. He simply needs to perform better.

On 3rd down JP seemed for some reason to not read the all-out rush coming from the left side and WM clearly missed a blitz pick-up on the rush which pushed JP out of the back of the endzone.  He simply needs to perform better.

445843[/snapback]

I think he saw the pressure just fine as he seemed to be looking behind the blitz for space to put the ball; but then when Willis whiffed his assignment Losman's only escape route was to his right. Then instead of just chucking it away as he was moving, his mounting frustration probably enticed him to hold onto the ball for a second too long, desperate to just make a play finally. By the time the stubborn little shlt belatedly gave up on the play and tried to get rid of it, he'd run out of the space that he'd (mis)judged that he had.

I think he saw the pressure just fine as he seemed to be looking behind the blitz for space to put the ball; but then when Willis whiffed his assignment Losman's only escape route was to his right. Then instead of just chucking it away as he was moving, his mounting frustration probably enticed him to hold onto the ball for a second too long, desperate to just make a play finally. By the time the stubborn little shlt belatedly gave up on the play and tried to get rid of it, he'd run out of the space that he'd (mis)judged that he had.

445860[/snapback]

I watched that replay a bunch of times. The defense had everyone covered big time on that play. He had no one to throw it too !

I watched that replay a bunch of times. The defense had everyone covered big time on that play. He had no one to throw it too !

445897[/snapback]

Actually, he did - all the way on his left, and it would've gone 99 yards for a score...

The line didn't play a bad game, folks. It wasn't the line's fault.

From what I understand (I was on a plane yesterday during the game), we had  no success running the ball yesterday.  Was that on the oline, JP, coaching, WM, or all of the foregoing?

445948[/snapback]

Hard to be successful in the running game when your back only gets 13 touches.