best pizza in WNY?

grammer_police

Ahh, the jug shuffle board, won a lotta beers on that thing. Worked at the fort summers of 80-82 as a lifeguard.When were you there?

442754[/snapback]

I was a soldier from '83-'85. I dated the Park rangers daughter for one of those summers, little hottie!

Jeff

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhhh the Stone Jug!  Was there a couple months ago.  Youngstown just ain't the same w/o Commerfords.

As for Honeys, the reason nobody mentioned it is because it SUCKS!  Now, if you get the pizza there (well, the old Pine Ave location) at 3AM...drunk...and eat it there...then, it's just bad. They used to bring Honey's pizza to school events all the time (North Junior...RIP, NFHS), for fund raisers and such.  Freakin' cardboard with red goo on top.  Yeech!

442742[/snapback]

WOW, I remember it being real good in the early '80's?? They were the ones with the big elephant holding the tray out front right?

Jeff

Mark's Pizzeria for thick slices.

I love the Big New Yorker from Pizza Hut for thin slices.

442775[/snapback]

You know the biggest problem isn't that you actually like it, it's that you admit it in a public forum. I'd keep embarrasing stuff like that to myself, if I were you. :(

I have traveled very extensively for my job the last 8 yrs or so, and generally I agree with you. However, the one city with absolutley no good pizza is DC. And thats where I lived for 14 yrs. Couple places okay, but nothing outstanding. Now, here in Richmond, several places much closer to a true pizza(thinNY style crust)than I could ever find in DC, especially in the district itself.

442613[/snapback]

Which places do you like here?

Okay,

I'm an out of towner, but visited epic Buffalo this past July. I went to the Italian Fest in North Buffalo. I tried many slices of pizza. . . and I can safely say that Buffalo has the best pizza (and Italian food) in the entire freakin' world. Everyone of those pizza slices was way better than what I ever got in Southern Cal or Denver (where I am now).

Also, cold cuts, hot dogs, and cheeses are always best in Buffalo, for whatever reason.

I grew up in West Seneca and as a kid I loved Santoras pizza. Then I moved to CT and learned what great pizza was(Wooster street in New Haven). Anyways my first return trip to Buffalo was 10 years later. I checked into a hotel room with an old girlfriend and was psyched to see Santoras delivered. First thing I did was order one and I bragged to the girl how good Santoras was. Man that pizza was awful..

I was born and raised in WNY and have lived in Indiana, Nevada, and Wisconsin.  I have found phenomonal pizza in all those locales.  WNY is good, but really, WNY did not invent nor master the pizza.  I have even visited SoCal and found great pizza there. 

Those that think WNY is the mecca of pizza probably really do not give other locations a chance - an immediate bias with no chance of a favorable outcome.

By the way, Columbus OH has some great pizza.

442593[/snapback]

I am not disputing that...but Papa Johns??

If you like turd in a box I guess?

Which places do you like here?

442795[/snapback]

Two places.

Jo JOs on main street downtown. Go for lunch once a week when in town. As close to NYC style pizza as I've had in 17 yrs in the mid-atlantic. They may only be open during the day though. Two slices and a coke $4.99 with tax, bargain as well as great tasting. The white is excellante!!!!!

Franks West on Patterson in the West End. Also, very good, but you need to tell them to lighten up on the cheese just a tad and ask for it well done

I'm suprised at this thread. Ninos, Bocce etc are all decent, but there'e the rest. The best is, by far, the one and only...La Nova. I used to drive from Orchard Park to the West Side of Buffalo, just to get La Nova. MMMMMMMM...La Nova......now I'm hungry & I live in a city where they serve pizza on cardboard :(

I'm suprised at this thread.  Ninos, Bocce etc are all decent, but there'e the rest.  The best is, by far, the one and only...La Nova.  I used to drive from Orchard Park to the West Side of Buffalo, just to get La Nova.  MMMMMMMM...La Nova......now I'm hungry & I live in a city where they serve pizza on cardboard  :D

442902[/snapback]

As far as Buffalo pizza goes, I always considered La Nova pedestrian. Not thin enough to be a great thin-crust pizza (AKA pizza), but not sicilian either...not brick-oven...not corn meal bottom,,,just your basic old pizza. But, not bad. I always liked Mr. Pizza better ("His" pizza).

Bocce's was great....but, I burnt out on it. Milanos I did for awhile, too (Bocce's clone, in a way) but I tired of it.

Pizza Junction in NT (and there used to be one in Clarance) was always terrific...but, I prefer thinner pizza (did I mention that?).

I know there's a great pizza that I'm forgetting...and I keep waiting for someone to mention it and jar my old addled brain. :(

Please keep naming pizza joints! :(

I just moved back to WNY from Binghamton and better food was one of the reasons - that and my son, Jack, needed to grow 1) as a Bills fan, 2) in the city of Good Neighbors, 3) with the best pizza, weck, and wings in the nation. My choice for best pizza ...

Pizza Junction in North Tonawanda - their sheet pizza weighs a ton ... never, and I mean never, order double cheese! :(

You folks back in Western NY should appreciate the fact that you have so many great pizza options. I really miss going to many of the places already mentioned.....not to mention missing the wings and beef on weck!

Here in Indy, we have mostly chains with cardboard crusts and pizza ovens that look more like "conveyors"....needless to say it sucks having to settle for Pizza Hut, Domino's, Donato's, etc.

Two places.

Jo JOs on main street downtown. Go for lunch once a week when in town. As close to NYC style pizza as I've had in 17 yrs in the mid-atlantic. They may only be open during the day though. Two slices and a coke $4.99 with tax, bargain as well as great tasting. The white is excellante!!!!!

Franks West on Patterson in the West End. Also, very good, but you need to tell them to lighten up on the cheese just a tad and ask for it well done

442865[/snapback]

I'll give them a shot. Always looking for a good slice! Thanks.