Damn, is our Defense THIS good?

Thirdborn

I found this on Yahoo sports.

BEHIND EVERY GOOD COACH

A round of applause for Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Jerry Gray, who hasn't gotten enough credit for molding the Bills' unit into one that could be one of the best in league history. That's precisely the kind of pressure Gray put on the Bills in the preseason, when he talked to his players about rivaling the 2000 Ravens and 1985 Bears. Last year, Gray's defense led the NFL in takeaways with 39. In Sunday's 22-7 win over Houston, the Bills forced the Texans into five turnovers and held them to 120 total yards.

we had a chance to put ourselves in the playoffs by stuffing pghs. backups, and this defense could not do it. until we respond differently in similar circumstances i will call this defense good, but not earthshattering. i STILL have a bad taste in my mouth from game, and nothing i saw sunday has changed it. houstons offense is terrible.

we had a chance to put ourselves in the playoffs by stuffing pghs. backups, and this defense could not do it.  until we respond differently in similar circumstances i will call this defense good, but not earthshattering.  i STILL have a bad taste in my mouth from game, and nothing i saw sunday has changed it.  houstons offense is terrible.

441088[/snapback]

Agreed, jester. I do like the way they play and all, especially this early in the season, but to put them alongside two of the greatest defenses to ever play (BTW, no mention of the Steel Curtain of the 70s, THE greatest defense to ever play?) is a bit premature.

jester, jester, jester....nobody said the bills' defense is AT the level of those great defenses....just that this is what they ASPIRE to become.

such negativity...even the bills' players on D said after the game that they're not satisfied.

it was a great performance on sunday. i don't care how bad the texans are -- one rarely sees those sort of statistics coming out of an NFL game.

some fans just can't enjoy the moment...

Agreed, jester.  I do like the way they play and all, especially this early in the season, but to put them alongside two of the greatest defenses to ever play (BTW, no mention of the Steel Curtain of the 70s, THE greatest defense to ever play?) is a bit premature.

441091[/snapback]

I'm with you, but I hope for an improvement this season based on the health of our safeties, and the emergence of our DEs.

The guy on TV last night was saying how Schobel was the 5th DE drafted that season, and that he has more sacks than the other 4. What he didn't have time to mention was his pursuit, which is so good because of his blinding speed.

On the other side, Kelsay looks as if he will continue to develop.

As for our safeties, we all know how good Milloy is, but it is of great value to have someone back there as fast and smart as Vincent. The guy is "learning" the position, and is already making plays.

So, while I don't put them up there with the 85 Bears, I think that with a better secondary and more pass rush from the ends, this will be a better defense than the 04 version.

I hope that I'm correct.

It's stories like this that make me think the Bucs might light us up. Greatest ever? We beat the pop-gun offense Texans at home. It was only the first game of the season. I guess that KC can lay claim to being one of the all time defenses also. I seriously hope that our team isn't getting soft this week with all of the accolades being bestowed on them. I can see Chucky using this as motivation for his team in the Bill Parcells mold, "Hey men, these guys are coming into our house thinking they are the best ever." "Hey men, they're challenging our offense." I can definately see the Bills getting a wake up call in Tampa if they are buying into this greatest ever garbage. It's week 2 and no team can lay claim to anything but a win or a loss. Just because JP showed he can play a little doesn't mean they can start basking in their glowing reviews and end up stepping off the gas. They need to play just as hard or harder than they did against the Texans if we have a chance to win. As of now, I'm thinking we're gonna lose because I get a sense they're feeling too full of themselves right now. On paper we have the better team, no doubt in my mind. But last season this team showed severe lack of focus on many a football Sunday. That's what concerns me the most, lack of focus.

You can't make some people happy.  If an article says our D is over-rated we would scream bloody murder.  "We don't gety any respect"!  They get a compliment, and suddenly Tampa is gonna pound their heads in because they're over confident.

441180[/snapback]

exactamundo. we're a fickle group.

It's stories like this that make me think the Bucs might light us up. Greatest ever? We beat the pop-gun offense Texans at home. It was only the first game of the season. I guess that KC can lay claim to being one of the all time defenses also. I seriously hope that our team isn't getting soft this week with all of the accolades being bestowed on them. I can see Chucky using this as motivation for his team in the Bill Parcells mold, "Hey men, these guys are coming into our house thinking they are the best ever." "Hey men, they're challenging our offense." I can definately see the Bills getting a wake up call in Tampa if they are buying into this greatest ever garbage. It's week 2 and no team can lay claim to anything but a win or a loss. Just because JP showed he can play a little doesn't mean they can start basking in their glowing reviews and end up stepping off the gas. They need to play just as hard or harder than they did against the Texans if we have a chance to win. As of now, I'm thinking we're gonna lose because I get a sense they're feeling too full of themselves right now. On paper we have the better team, no doubt in my mind. But last season this team showed severe lack of focus on many a football Sunday. That's what concerns me the most, lack of focus.

441114[/snapback]

DOOMED!

No just you.  0:)

441207[/snapback]

at times, i'm sure. as a general rule, however -- not too high, not too low.

take JP's performance in the opener, for example. a great start, but not nearly good enough to win against the upper crust of the NFL. i'm happy, but not satisfied.

at times, i'm sure.  as a general rule, however -- not too high, not too low.

take JP's performance in the opener, for example.  a great start, but not nearly good enough to win against the upper crust of the NFL.  i'm happy, but not satisfied.

441208[/snapback]

You just hate JP.

You can't make some people happy.  If an article says our D is over-rated we would scream bloody murder.  "We don't gety any respect"!  They get a compliment, and suddenly Tampa is gonna pound their heads in because they're over confident.

441180[/snapback]

I just think that no one can say anything definitively after week one. Good or bad. This greatest ever thing is stupid right now. Can they play a few games first? 0:)

I hear this week that suddenly the Jets are one of the worst teams in the league. Week 1 evaluations and proclamations are almost as bad as preseason ones. We were 0-4 last season and were we the worst team? Record-wise yes, but reality proved we were a winning team after 17 weeks.

week one, fifteen more game weeks to go. After all that, then you can make comparisons to the Raven, Bears, Steelers..... or god forbid the Chiefs of the last few years <gulp>.

441217[/snapback]

I like to see guys make predictions of greatness early on. Argue if you like. But get out on a limb and predict greatness, medocrity, etc. Before any ole butthead can read the stats and say "gee wiz - this team has an awesome defense"

Same thing with JP. I hear everybody holding back and waiting till the end of the season. At the end of the season we won't need no opinions, by then we'll have facts.

Until then let's hear some opinions.

'cept Patsy opinions, though.

houstons offense is terrible.

441088[/snapback]

I beg to differ with you. David Carr is a #1 overall pick, Andre Johnson could be one of the top 5 receivers in the NFL, Domanick Davis was awesome last year. (scoring an average of 17 fantasy points a game)

This is not a terrible offense... it's not great... but nobody ever said it was. I'm just saying that this offense is FAR from terrible.