A couple second half observations

AKC

Just had a chance to run through the second half. If I hadn't ever seen the first half I'd probably be in fear for our offensive lives- not real pretty or very effective, in fact for the most part out of synch on most fronts.

34-78-83 mentioned Big Ben making a couple of good plays on Willis runs- I do have him sealing the interior on a 11 or 12 yarder very effectively but I believe the other good run over that side was Big Mike's work.

On the reverse that gets stuffed it appears Duke misplays the Texan's line shift and leaves Big Mike out to dry by blocking up instead of the down player. It's hardly a worry, more like a simple rookie misread. He was less effective in gaining position though than I first gave him credit for. An understandable work in progress gaining huge experience in a win. I'm coming to agree with others who have speculated he'll close out this season as a starter.

Edwards was lucky enough to have finished his game in the third quarter due to Denney getting the reps in pass packages. Big Sam on the other hand remains our every down lineman as he started 2004. Edwards will apparently be taking the PWilliams role from last season and seeing maybe 40 percent of the snaps on that side of the game.

Teague and Neufeld cost Willis a TD from the Texan 5 by losing their position and allowing their assignments into the excellent short yardage hole created by their teammates.

I thought Neufeld stunk my first viewing. I think even less of him now that I see how many times he gets knocked off his center or simply glances defenders run blocking. "Stunk" was a little too mannerly.

Reed seems to back down after JP points out the route on the missed pass. I'm not crazy about QBs who too frequently make a big deal gesturing after a missed pass- it gets old real quick for everyone. Hopefully JP controls his obvious demonstrativeness in the near future better than he controls his willingness to get on his butt and slide (that is if he'd like to play this season out on the field). If Losman insists on exposing his head to safeties we should consider sitting him in favor of KHolcomb when the game is getting away from our opponent.

Is this a mixed review of this & last year?  Travis isn't on the team, and Euhus was inactive.

439540[/snapback]

It's Happy Hour somewhere. And I understand he likes to be referred to as Travis McGahee.

It's Happy Hour somewhere. And I understand he likes to be referred to as Travis McGahee.

439547[/snapback]

;)

Unfortunately, Neufeld's planned replacement is still on the P.U.P. list....

Reed seems to back down after JP points out the route on the missed pass. I'm not crazy about QBs who too frequently make a big deal gesturing after a missed pass- it gets old real quick for everyone.

439526[/snapback]

just an FYI- As he came off the field, Reed was pulled aside by the OC for a few seconds and then went to the bench w/ his head down. JP walked up, slapped JR on the back and sat down next to him on the bench.

just an FYI- As he came off the field, Reed was pulled aside by the OC for a few seconds and then went to the bench w/ his head down. JP walked up, slapped JR on the back and sat down next to him on the bench.

439563[/snapback]

That's great, the thing though that lingers is the stuff on film and if JP does the same thing 10 or 15 times a season I can tell you that I won't be the only one cringing when it comes. That leadership thing includes giving it out privately in most circumstances. The kid's a gamer, I'm not trying to take the wind out of his passion, I'm just hoping that the maturity at his spot comes sooner rather than later.

Just had a chance to run through the second half. If I hadn't ever seen the first half I'd probably be in fear for our offensive lives- not real pretty or very effective, in fact for the most part out of synch on most fronts.

34-78-83 mentioned Big Ben making a couple of good plays on Willis runs- I do have him sealing the interior on a 11 or 12 yarder very effectively but I believe the other good run over that side was Big Mike's work.

On the reverse that gets stuffed it appears Duke misplays the Texan's line shift and leaves Big Mike out to dry by blocking up instead of the down player. It's hardly a worry, more like a simple rookie misread. He was less effective in gaining position though than I first gave him credit for. An understandable work in progress gaining huge experience in a win. I'm coming to agree with others who have speculated he'll close out this season as a starter.

Edwards was lucky enough to have finished his game in the third quarter due to Denney getting the reps in pass packages. Big Sam on the other hand remains our every down lineman as he started 2004. Edwards will apparently be taking the PWilliams role from last season and seeing maybe 40 percent of the snaps on that side of the game.

Teague and Neufeld cost Willis a TD from the Texan 5 by losing their position and allowing their assignments into the excellent short yardage hole created by their teammates.

I thought Neufeld stunk my first viewing. I think even less of him now that I see how many times he gets knocked off his center or simply glances defenders run blocking. "Stunk" was a little too mannerly.

Reed seems to back down after JP points out the route on the missed pass. I'm not crazy about QBs who too frequently make a big deal gesturing after a missed pass- it gets old real quick for everyone. Hopefully JP controls his obvious demonstrativeness in the near future better than he controls his ability to get on his butt and slide (that is if he'd like to play this season out on the field). If Losman insists on exposing his head to safeties we should consider sitting him in favor of KHolcomb when the game is getting away from our opponent.

439526[/snapback]

I thought this was a really good post. I have to agree with everything you mentioned. But, the part about JP, was he really exposing himself to the safties? It didn't look like he really threw a poor pass, but I could be wrong. AKC- What about Cieslak coming off of the practive squad to replace Neufeld?

I thought this was a really good post.  I have to agree with everything you mentioned.  But, the part about JP, was he really exposing himself to the safties?  It didn't look like he really threw a poor pass, but I could be wrong.  AKC- What about Cieslak coming off of the practive squad to replace Neufeld?

439571[/snapback]

When I'm saying exposing his head to the safeties I'm referring to running head first downfield with no intention of sliding. A QB's helmet is an awful tempting target to some fringe-of-the-whistle player like Rodney Harrison. It's reckless to offer yourself up like that before the whistle stops the play when a simple slide offers you so much protection.

JP did have at least two awful passes I recall, both of which could have been picked easily. One was to Antwan Peek and the other was downfield into double coverage, if I recall correctly Lee Evans broke up a pick on the deep pass.

I never formed an opinion on Cieslak in the pre-season, I don't recall him getting anything in the way of quality reps against first teamers. I wouldn't be surprised though for the team to start looking at ways to help the running game by getting stronger at the position.

That's great, the thing though that lingers is the stuff on film and if JP does the same thing 10 or 15 times a season I can tell you that I won't be the only one cringing when it comes. That leadership thing includes giving it out privately in most circumstances. The kid's a gamer, I'm not trying to take the wind out of his passion, I'm just hoping that the maturity at his spot comes sooner rather than later.

439568[/snapback]

I agree. Yell at your opponent, whisper to your teammates.

;)

Unfortunately, Neufeld's planned replacement is still on the P.U.P. list....

439553[/snapback]

Did you catch the fake reverse/screen last night? McNabb is harldy the kind of guy to deliver it fluidly yet it still went for 25 IIRC.

My "best new play design from week 1 of the 2005 season".

thanks for the thoughtful analysis. i'll look for what you describe when i watch the replay -- during the game i was a little "tipsy" and just happy to be watching a game that was not really in doubt after the first 5 minutes.

i don't share your concern with respect to JP calling out a receiver for a bad route, however. you talk about this "getting old," but if receivers are consistently running the wrong routes then we've got $hitty receivers.

i love the way JP is already a "buffalo guy." i don't want anyone to do anything to change his attitude, his competitive fire, or the way he interacts with his teammates. he'll mature and learn as a part of his natural progression.

439568[/snapback]

I agree and hope this stops very soon. A little goes a long, long way.

I wonder if this kind of behavior is where some of the 'arrogant JP' knocks came from. JMHO.

439568[/snapback]

I give him a pass as it was his first real game and he was certainly over-amped the first few series. Hell, he was already sweating like a pig when he walked on the field for his first series.

While that's usually a good sign for any player, it might have shown as much nerves as pregame prep on his part.

Why such worry about JP chewing-out JR? It's not like he chewed-out Moulds or Evans, or chewed-out more than 1 WR, or that JR hasn't been a disappointment to this point in his career. And the fact that JR got it from Clements, and both he and JP were yukking it up soon afterwards, tells me that JR was wrong, realized it, and both players moved-on. Frankly I think it ONLY shows great leadership from JP, not a red flag.

Is this a mixed review of this & last year?

439540[/snapback]

Holy frijole GG, I thought the aliens stole you.

Glad to see you've been returned safely to Earth and hope you're back for good now that the season has started.

Cya

Holy frijole GG, I thought the aliens stole you.

Glad to see you've been returned safely to Earth and hope you're back for good now that the season has started.

Cya

439906[/snapback]

He did make an appearance @ the tailgate, Simon. I guess the aliens didn't mind if he partied w/ us.

Now, as for you...