Buccaneers: Was today a fluke OR

Mark Vader

I saw the highlights of the Vikings-Bucs game. Did the Bucs dominate this game or did the Vikings just blow it?

I saw this game against Tampa Bay as a good learning experiene game, but now I think we may actually get a game from this team.

Should we be concerned or will we bring the Bucs back to Earth?

I saw the highlights of the Vikings-Bucs game. Did the Bucs dominate this game or did the Vikings just blow it?

I saw this game against Tampa Bay as a good learning experiene game, but now I think we may actually get a game from this team.

437082[/snapback]

I doubt very much that any of us die-hards really paid deep attention to that game since in was on opposite of ours, I sure as hell didn't ...

We have a horrible record against Tampa Bay down there no matter the quality of the teams they've fielded, especially losing to

them by a 10-5 score in 1988 shortly after we clinched the division at home to the NY JETS in OT.

That loss to them cost us Home Field advantage throughout the playoffs and we paid dearly for it by having to play the BENGALS

in Cincinnati in the AFC Championship Game when we could've had them at RICH .. We lost of course, and the BENGALS went to

the Super Bowl against the 49ers ...

:angry:

437082[/snapback]

It will be a test no doubt. The Bucs still have one of the leagues best defenses, and being JP's first road game shouldn't make it any easier.

That said C. Williams and the Bucs offense don't make me nervous. On the stat sheet Williams looked like he had a huge day in Minnesota. In reality he had about 75 yards in 26 carries before he broke a 75 yarder late in the 4th. The Bucs offense won’t put up more then 10 on us so it will be up to JP to limit turnovers, and keep the Bucs defense from becoming its best offense.

Cadillac Williams is one of 5 on ESPN's poll for top performers. While the final stat line looks impressive, a closer look reveals that it's a bit misleading.

His final run was a 71-yard TD which owed more to the situation than anything special he did. It was 3rd and 1 with 1:30 left and the Vikings selling out completely to stop the run and get the ball back in a 17-13 game. A first down in that situation ends the game, so the Vikes basically had 11 in the box. Once he popped past the line there was nobody to stop him. Prior to that final drive, in fact, Cadillac had 24 carries for a mere 68 yards - less than 3 yards a carry against a defense that isn't nearly in the class of the Bills.

That the game was still a contest after Culpepper's 4 (he finished with 5) turnovers bodes well for us, I think. Also that the NFC is top to bottom a weak conference. A workmanlike performance and minimized mistakes should do the job. Improvement in the red zone and fewer penalties would be nice too.

437082[/snapback]

It was a close game, and Culpepper gave the game to Bucs.

I watched the game. Bucs' defense looked pretty good, Losman will have quite a challenge next week. Their offense was ok, it's Griese and Galloway won the game, not C.Williams. Other than Williams' 71-yard TD run when the game was basically over, he didn't impress me at all.

I expect a low scoring game next week.

I watched the Bills game at a sports bar here, and the TB-Minn game was on the TV right next to ours, so I saw a bunch of it.

Basically, Tampa played a hell of a game on both offense and defense, and I'd be wary of them. That said, Minnesota really blew a bunch of chances. It's hard to say how much of it was Minnesota really sucking, or Tampa really forcing them to suck. I got the impression that it was basically some of both.

I, for one, would be very wary of them next week.

437082[/snapback]

We should be concerned. Take one week at a time baby. Use JP to set up the run like today, then pound the damn ball with McGahee.

Use the same blueprint this week as next week - but we better damn well be concerned. If we aren't concerned, well, "Any Given Sunday"

!@#$ the Bucs

One factor that often gets overlooked is the heat down there in Florida. I went to the Bills games the last two times they were in San Diego, and in the game that Flutie started it was balls hot. The team tired out toward the end of the game. I remember something similar happening in Miami when we've played there in early September.

I just hope our boys don't party too hard and stay hydrated this week or the heat will definately be a factor in the final outcome.