Detroit Radio Announcers Slam Buffalo!

Beerstm

I recently joined NFL field pass (the radio broadcasts on-line). I was listening to Detroit's coverage of last week’s game (wanted to see their reaction to Garcia’s injury) Late in the game, the announcers slammed Mike Mularkey and the city of Buffalo.

Mularkey had just called a time out, with like 40 some seconds left in the game. This angered the announcers for Detroit. They sent it down to the side line reporter and he made some dumb comment that the UN and Wayne Fontes was going to put him on trial (I don’t remember the details, but it was stupid). What caught my attention was what was said next. The announcers were making jokes back and forth about Mularkey and how stupid it was to call a time out when one of the announcers said the following:

Quote: “I got one for both of you guys. The punishment has already been dealt out. It has been decided by the powers that be that Mike Mularkey is now forced to live and coach in Buffalo.” (Approximately 3 hrs 3 minuets and 29 seconds into the broadcast).

I just don’t understand why Buffalo gets such a bad rap. Detroit is a dump of a city. And comparing the Bills to the Lions, I’d rather have the talent and fan base of the Bills fans. It just made me angry.

Thanks for letting me rant!

Beers

you are so right - I grew up in Buffalo and have lived in a detroit suburb since I went to U of M in ann arbor in 1990. these people think detroit is rosy but in buffalo there is more snow and beer is onlu $12 for a 30 pack (consumers beverages) vs here it is $18 plus they play football here in a dome like a bunch of wussbags - I go home every year for a december game in the snow - you should listen to a wings game and hear them whine about having only a $75million payroll when the sabres is $27million and the next day the tigers broadcast whines about Yankees having a $200million payroll buying all the best players - bunch of maroons no doubt

Everybody whines when things don't go their way.

If nothing else, being on this board has taught me that. :D

Do you expect people from Detroit being happy about it? No, but they cover it up by denigrating everyone else. I've known people from Detroit who make fun of Cleveland.

Pot, meet kettle.

Mike

you are so right - I grew up in Buffalo and have lived in a detroit suburb since I went to U of M in ann arbor in 1990. these people think detroit is rosy but in buffalo there is more snow and beer is onlu $12 for a 30 pack (consumers beverages) vs here it is $18 plus they play football here in a dome like a bunch of wussbags - I go home every year for a december game in the snow - you should listen to a wings game and hear them whine about having only a $75million payroll when the sabres is $27million and the next day the tigers broadcast whines about Yankees having a $200million payroll buying all the best players - bunch of maroons no doubt

432979[/snapback]

Yeah, I went to UM, too. I can tell you from experience that the only reason anyone goes to Detroit is when there's a football, baseball, or hockey game going on. They probably think it's hot stuff because everytime they've been there, there's been football, so logically...

You know what the worst thing about Buffalo really is? The negative attitude a lot of the people in Buffalo have. I grew up there. I live down South now. I promise you if the economy was better, I'd move right back.

Every time I try and show my wife (who is from GA) around and make a comment to local about how we're "thinking of moving back", they give me this long winded speech, something such as...

"You don't want to move here. This place sucks. This place will always suck. Nothing we do will ever make it not suck. We're doomed. Politicians suck. Laws suck. Taxes suck. Weather sucks. Hockey sucks. Bethlehem has closed. The waterfront sucks. The parks suck. Erie county sucks. Property taxes suck. We'll never dig out. They're killing us all slowly. Run. If I could get out I would. Go Bills!"

That defeated attitude *really* doesn't help anything. You need people moving back into the area!

/rant off.

-Jeff

You know what the worst thing about Buffalo really is? The negative attitude a lot of the people in Buffalo have. I grew up there. I live down South now.  I promise you if the economy was better, I'd move right back.

Every time I try and show my wife (who is from GA) around and make a comment to local about how we're "thinking of moving back", they give me this long winded speech, something such as...

"You don't want to move here. This place sucks. This place will always suck. Nothing we do will ever make it not suck. We're doomed. Politicians suck. Laws suck. Taxes suck. Weather sucks. Hockey sucks. Bethlehem has closed. The waterfront sucks. The parks suck. Erie county sucks. Property taxes suck. We'll never dig out. They're killing us all slowly. Run. If I could get out I would. Go Bills!"

That defeated attitude *really* doesn't help anything.  You need people moving back into the area!

/rant off.

-Jeff

433104[/snapback]

And in the time i spent there i found out that Christina sucks, Allison sucks, Sarah sucks, Cindy sucks, Cheryl sucks, Amber sucks... boy, i could go on for hours, i know they sure did.

And in the time i spent there i found out that Christina sucks, Allison sucks, Sarah sucks, Cindy sucks, Cheryl sucks, Amber sucks... boy, i could go on for hours, i know they sure did.

433209[/snapback]

:D:D

You know what the worst thing about Buffalo really is? The negative attitude a lot of the people in Buffalo have. I grew up there. I live down South now. I promise you if the economy was better, I'd move right back.

That defeated attitude *really* doesn't help anything. You need people moving back into the area!

/rant off.

-Jeff

Jeff... you need a dose of reality. All those things you stated that others say are true. Yeah, the weather ain't perfect, but if the economical and politcal climate were even avarage, the weather wouldn't be much of a factor. There is no fix... unless someone can figure out how to dismantle the political machine in this state. It is the most corrupt and disfunctional on the planet. It would take an act of God to change that. Yeah, folks would like to move back here. That's their heart talking, not their brain. You can't live well, where you can't earn (and keep most of what you earn) well. No business with big aspirations wants to come into this state? Why? High costs!!! Taxes, energy, EPA regs. Taxes are the highest in the country... the other two are in the top 3. Even though Niagara Falls provides about 1/4 of the nation's energy, plus we have 3 nuclear facilities (one of which isn't even used), and we sell power to other states for less than we sell it to the state in which it's generated (NYS). All of this directly controlled by the NYS political machine... they make the laws, they invoke the taxes, they set the rules. So, please don't take it as "negative" or a "slam"when someone tells you why they don't want to move NYS. They're just telling the truth. teust me, they wouldn't have ever left if it was peaches and cream. If you want to move back up here, do so. We'll welcome you back, but I guarantee you, it won't take you longer than 5 years of being here realize that you made a big mistake, and, it really does suck from a financial/economic/political perspective.

Yeah, Detroit is great.

"Suburbanites are taking the bodies of their relatives out of cemeteries because they're afraid to come to the city," Vogel said. "There are about 400 to 500 hundred (being moved) a year which shows you the depth of racism and fear."

It's pretty bad when even your dead citizens are leaving the city.

You know what the worst thing about Buffalo really is? The negative attitude a lot of the people in Buffalo have. I grew up there. I live down South now.  I promise you if the economy was better, I'd move right back.

That defeated attitude *really* doesn't help anything.  You need people moving back into the area!

/rant off.

-Jeff

433104[/snapback]

What do you suggest then? This city has problems man and they aren't getting any better. Problems are everywhere but you want these people to remain optimistic? This city's people are good and as fans they are top notch. The food here is amazing and there is a diverse artistic community.

But dude the city and all of it's problems suck.

Go Bills.

t-r