Bumper Sticker I saw today. Ironic?

stevestojan

There is a lower class school disctrict around here (well, there are many, as west palm beach has some areas that arnt the greatest). Anyway, I saw a bumper sticker that said "Proud Parent of a honor student at Lake Worth High".

Now, its been a while since I've been in school, but when a word starts with a vowel, or any letter with a soft sound, such as HONOR, shouldn't the word prior to it be AN, not A? I might be off here, but I dont think I am.

That was the exact time when a camera phone would have been handy.

There is a lower class school disctrict around here (well, there are many, as west palm beach has some areas that arnt the greatest). Anyway, I saw a bumper sticker that said "Proud Parent of a honor student at Lake Worth High". 

Now, its been a while since I've been in school, but when a word starts with a vowel, or any letter with a soft sound, such as HONOR, shouldn't the word prior to it be AN, not A? I might be off here, but I dont think I am.

30072[/snapback]

Since the h is slient, then yes, it should be an not a. You are correct sir!!!

30072[/snapback]

What does the fact that it's a "lower class school district" have to do with this story exactly?

What does the fact that it's a "lower class school district" have to do with this story exactly?

30180[/snapback]

nothing really, i guess. you're right.

But, if your gonna brag about being an honor student, using proper grammer would be nice. It's almost like that bumber sticker is a joke. Since it is "Lake Worth" and not "Wellington" (a rich disctrict) some irony comes from it. It is almost like "well, my kid is on the honor roll, but since they only pay his teachers in shillings, he still doesnt know how to speak or use the language."

(and please don't check my grammer here trying to make a point, Im on a message board, those stickers were printed professionally to be used on hundreds of cars).