Enough about Clements

Dawgg

Yes, so he screwed up that final play on 4th down, but don't lose sight of the fact this his INT led to the Bills ONLY touchdown yesterday afternoon. If Moulds hadn't fumbled and if Henry was able to hit the endzone from the 1, it wouldn't have had to come to that.

I think Clements played a pretty solid game. If you want to cast blame, look elsewhere.

We don't need Terrell Buckley. It does a team no good to have a guy make plays, and have that same guy make just as many bonehead plays that lose games. That play lost the game for us. If it makes it we win. No other play or player was like that. It wasn't a tough play, it wasn't a superstar play, it wasn't a clutch, come up big play, it was an easy, simple, seventh grade play.

The sad thing to me is that folks simply seem to want to make changes for changes sake and not with an eye toward improving the TEAM's performance or much of a sense of football reality.

Clements made a bad play on Smith on the bomb and seemed to admit in interviews that he should have batted the ball down to win the game, but instead and instinctively he went for the INT. The older more experienced player undressed him and took the ball.

However, eliminating him and replacing him with whats available on the waiver wire would not improve this team. Moving McGee or Thomas up to #2 CB may prove one dat to be necessary (particularly with the extra danger of injuries Clements PR duties expose him to) but it will not improve the team.

In fact, even if a CB who batted the ball down could be found, it will help in the unlikely occurence that another game comes down to a 4 and 14 pass to that CBs side, but it will do nothing to address the numerous other specific failings (Villarial's holding call, Moulds' red zone fumble and Lindell's missed kick leading to MM having no confidence in him with the wind) and those would still be here.

Clements need to improve by making decisions like a vet rather than a rookie and he got an objecy lesson that had better stick yesterday, but railing about and against one of the few difference-makers on this team (he has been chosen to return punts for a reason) is simply not the case someone most interested in improving the team would make.

Likewise with Bledsoe. The O really fell short of adequate yesterday, but my sense if that if Bledsoe tried harder to be a difference maker given that his best days are behind him I think we would be less productive. While it is certainly legit and true to say well, we need a QB with more talent than Bledsoe, fine is that player on the waiver wire? Is that player Shane Matthews.

I don't even think that player would be the rookie Losman if he were able to play, but he can't so the rant that it is mosstly Bledsoe's fault (which one silly post claimed) has little to do with improving the TEAM's offensive productivity.

Bledsoe was not sufficient yesterday, but he was much improved over last year's model when he was simply horrendous trying to run the Kevin Kolldrive offense. Bledsoe needs to show more of the same in getting rid of the ball quickly, making good decisions to take small losses in bad situations where an outcome is not readily apparent rather than doing something stupid trying to make a big play, and overall be calm in the game. I loved the improved Bledsoe.

That praise being offered, there remain improvements he must make:

1. He still needs to make better quality reads- even I as an outsider could see Boldin was ready to jump the pass that turned into Moulds funble of a backward pass. Bledsoe should have read the situation and not made the pass.

2. I like that he played within himself, but he can push Clements a tad moe to open things up a bit- this is a dangerous path as to over-reliance on Bledsoe's arm by Killdrive is part of what got us into trouble last year. However, the total lack of downfield passes (I think the longest pick-up invovled some RAC after a relatively short pass to Campbell) is too much the other way and a little judicious prodding by Bledsoe for a few timely downfield passes would not br bad.

3. He needs to demand and get performance- leadership means inspiring good performance without shutting people down. Henry is ripe for this type of effectove leadership as he made some mental errors like going the wrong way on one run and I am told on one screen pass.

However, the poster is right in this thread, enough about Clements and enough about Bledsoe (for now) improvements of these two must happen but this improvement is a low priority for fixing what is wrong with our O.

30166[/snapback]

I think the thing that irritates me the most is the coverage was at least as good as the result was bad. Nate has all the tools but that play is Vince Lombardi level stuff. Kinda like taking 3-0, not making the first or last out of the inning at 3rd base, "Ball-U-Man," etc.

We don't need Terrell Buckley.

30057[/snapback]

Exactly, and Clements has been getting toasted on a semi regular basis for the last year and a game. I started calling him "toast" last year it got so bad.

As for the Moulds fumble at the 7, I keep saying this but nobody seems to listen. THAT FUMBLE HAD LITTLE TO NO IMPACT ON THE GAME! Reese got an INT a few plays later putting the Bills at the 3 yard line...Reese's INT never happens if Moulds doesn't fumble the ball...those turnovers pretty much negate each other out and the Bills actually ended up with better field position because of it. The offense should have put the ball in the endzone once they got the ball back.

Exactly, and Clements has been getting toasted on a semi regular basis for the last year and a game.  I started calling him "toast" last year it got so bad.

As for the Moulds fumble at the 7, I keep saying this but nobody seems to listen.  THAT FUMBLE HAD LITTLE TO NO IMPACT ON THE GAME!  Reese got an INT a few plays later putting the Bills at the 3 yard line...Reese's INT never happens if Moulds doesn't fumble the ball...those turnovers pretty much negate each other out and the Bills actually ended up with better field position because of it.  The offense should have put the ball in the endzone once they got the ball back.

30192[/snapback]

Exactly! The result was a net plus 4 Yards... B)

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

Are some of you stupid ?

I also don't care for Clements' dance show after every play he makes but he is the best d-back on this team. Would you like to bench him, cut him, and replace him with whom? You move McGee up and that weakens your nickel corner. Clements is a talent and a player which is more than you can say for some of the overrated "players" on this team. He would be one of the top 2 or 3 players taken by any general manager if they could grab someone off the Bills roster. Yes he should have knocked the ball down instead of going for the glory interception but the coverage was there and he played well outside of that one fluke play. There are many other players that deserve the wrath before Clements.

Yes, so he screwed up that final play on 4th down, but don't lose sight of the fact this his INT led to the Bills ONLY touchdown yesterday afternoon.  If Moulds hadn't fumbled and if Henry was able to hit the endzone from the 1, it wouldn't have had to come to that.

I think Clements played a pretty solid game.  If you want to cast blame, look elsewhere.

30044[/snapback]

You've got to make the RIGHT play at the right time. Sure, it was great that he got that interception. He should have; it was batted right to him by Smith.

The RIGHT play at the RIGHT time would've been to bat the ball down. It's 4th freaking down, why intercept a 45-yard pass when you can bat it down and gain 45 yards for your TEAMMATES by doing so? Don't be a hot dog; be a TEAM PLAYER.

No, I don't want to cut him or bench him. I realize he's a really good player, but he's got to make the right plays when they're called for. He didn't do that. I don't want him to be cut; I just want him to wake up and make the right play.

You just don't get it, do you?

Are some of you stupid ?

I also don't care for Clements' dance show after every play he makes but he is the best d-back on this team. Would you like to bench him, cut him, and replace him with whom? You move McGee up and that weakens your nickel corner. Clements is a talent and a player which is more than you can say for some of the overrated "players" on this team. He would be one of the top 2 or 3 players taken by any general manager if they could grab someone off the Bills roster. Yes he should have knocked the ball down instead of going for the glory interception but the coverage was there and he played well outside of that one fluke play. There are many other players that deserve the wrath before Clements.

30275[/snapback]

Someone here doesn't appear to be reading posts. I've seen nobody say they think he should be cut or benched...people are saying that he isn't as good as many would like to believe. So perhaps you should read the posts before you lash out with insults.

Clements is the type of player that kills GMs, he has all the talent in the world and he flashes it on occassion so you keep hoping he's going to put it all together and be a stud player...but all you get are those flashes mixed with inconsistant play.

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

Clements is the type of player that kills gm's ? Hardly. Gm killers are #4 picks overall that can't get in shape or commit to the game, and overrated d-ends that are paid big money and are average.

I'll take a whole team of Clements' without his flash and dance.

1. He still needs to make better quality reads- even I as an outsider could see Boldin was ready to jump the pass that turned into Moulds funble of a backward pass.  Bledsoe should have read the situation and not made the pass.

30166[/snapback]

I love the effort in ALL your posts FFS and enjoy the reads but this single point is the most petty and absurd made today in critique of Bledsoe's play. Is it that difficult to accept that maybe, just maybe, the man has taken his refined role and his recent teachings from Wyche and Co. to heart and has begun to run with it?

maybe, just maybe, the man has taken his refined role and his recent teachings from Wyche and Co. to heart and has begun to run with it?

30347[/snapback]

Sure looked that way to me on Sunday.

Yeah, I want more points too,

but above all I want NO bone-head mistakes...

so far, so good,the points will come.

Anybody who thinks Clemens is a bum, a garbage player just because he missed this one play doesn't know football; some dumb@$$ even has the nerve to say that Clemens was toast last year; we had the best pass defense in football last year. Clemens had always shown great coverage skills and is rarely beat or picked on.

Now if Clemens had been beaten badly on the play then maybe you could bash him but even then you can't discount the play he has shown the last few years. But face it: the catch was spectacular; the coverage was outstanding. It was more a great catch by Smith then bad coverage or technigue by Nate. Clemens should have tried to knock it down OK. But Smith's catch along with Wilford were unbelievable video game catch; a Madden 2003 special that I would swear that I had been cheated by the video game. Now I know how it feels to be cheated in real life!

Yes, so he screwed up that final play on 4th down, but don't lose sight of the fact this his INT led to the Bills ONLY touchdown yesterday afternoon.  If Moulds hadn't fumbled and if Henry was able to hit the endzone from the 1, it wouldn't have had to come to that.

I think Clements played a pretty solid game.  If you want to cast blame, look elsewhere.

30044[/snapback]

maybe, but his INT came when he got beat by the reciever, and the WR droped the pass, and it fell in his lap.

the reese INT was more impressive.

and if we are going to be a great deffense we have to stop them on 4th and 5, and not give up a 40 yard jump ball. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

the raiders have to GREAT DTs, but they didnt stop the run last week, and i dont think they will do it again. keep running 30+ times a game. if we dont turn the ball over, and if we can get in the endzone from the 1 yard line, we should be fine.