LAMP- health issues

justnzane

.... an enlarged heart. I will find out how severe the stretching of my heart is, but from what i understand, my condition is pretty bad. It has left me, a college track athlete, having breathing issues and consistent chest pains. This probably means that i may never be able to work again too.

What really scares me is that many high school, college, and pro athletes have died over the years on the field or at random times because of this condition. Also, being only 21, i never thought i'd be having heart issues at such a young age.

Damn. Sorry to hear that. I'm sure all of us at TBD will be praying for you. I don't really know the medical specifics of that issue. All i can say is do your research, follow your doctor's advice, and have some faith. Being only 21, i'm sure that there are some good options for you. You're at least blessed to know about this condition now, as opposed to it being reported to your next of kin. Do what you can to get yourself fixed! Again, prayers are on the way.

.... an enlarged heart. I will find out how severe the stretching of my heart is, but from what i understand, my condition is pretty bad. It has left me, a college track athlete, having breathing issues and consistent chest pains. This probably means that i may never be able to work again too.

What really scares me is that many high school, college, and pro athletes have died over the years on the field or at random times because of this condition. Also, being only 21, i never thought i'd be having heart issues at such a young age.

428975[/snapback]

You'll get a lot of "I had a friend who" stories. Here's mine.

I have a friend who has enlarged heart syndrome and he is doing very well.

After 3 years he was able to return to limited sports activity. The 3 years was mainly to monitor things. Apparently enlarged heart can be tolerated very well in a good percentage of people and there are pharmaceutical solutions out there that can keep the effects pretty minimal.

Good luck to you. The mental attitude in any affliction is key.

428975[/snapback]

Damn...sorry to hear that. Take care of yourself kid.

Thank you all for your support. It really helps considering how much of a shock that this is to me

429005[/snapback]

Actually jzmack, you are the reason I decided to go ahead and join "The Wall." Hang in there and keep us posted. Sometimes life is scary and confusing, but we get through tough times with the help of friends and family. Be thankful you found out about this before it was too late.

Thank you all for your support. It really helps considering how much of a shock that this is to me

429005[/snapback]

yes def take care of yourself...what were some of your symptoms that caused you to get checked out...you should post them, so maybe, someone reading this thread, who may have some of the symptoms....may get checked out...

yes def take care of yourself...what were some of your symptoms that caused you to get checked out...you should post them, so maybe, someone reading this thread, who may have some of the symptoms....may get checked out...

429044[/snapback]

Well i started out of getting sick w/ bronchitis (3 times in a year), after the last time of having bronchitis in march i never fully regained the ability to breathe like i normally could. They beleived it was asthma all of this time. Meanwhile, in july i started experiencing some discomfort in the chest. They kept looking to see if i had a hole in the lung and stuff of that nature. Ultimately i had noticed marginal improvement in my ability to breathe and the only thing that has been able to help the pain was ibuprofen. Now that it is clear that this is a heart issue, i am no longer able to use ibuprofen, thus i am consistently feelin chest pain (damn docs)

My father had an enlarged heart, rheumatic heart, a leaky valve, and 2 heart operations, including a triple bypass. He lived until he was 83, was nationally ranked in table tennis, and got to play tennis with some of the greats. There's hope for you. Best of luck, bro.