Losman Quote

I don't believe anyone should expect miracles from JP and thus am willing to be patient, near term, with him. However, I find his post-game quote that "Things never go as planned" disturbing.

Is JP's attitude that the whole game should be improvisational because the game plan will most likely not work? Is the game plan thus a secondary consideration? I hope that's not where he is coming from. That's more the way you play the game in high school or earlier. JP's mindset and commitment should clearly be to do everything possible to ensure that the game plan is carried out and works. When all else fails, improvise. Hopefully, the comment is grounded on JP's experiences at Tulane, where he had an awful OL and improvisation was therefore a must, and that the Bills OL will (pray) afford JP the opportunity to settle down and settle in

That's not to say that improvising cannot be effective; watch your Steve Young or even Flutie videos. But it should obviously not be your first priority. If it is and remains to be for JP, we are, and JP is, in big trouble.

Speaking of discipline, if the penalities don't decrease substantially, we're undoubtedly in big trouble, no matter what JP does.

I don't believe anyone should expect miracles from JP and thus am willing to be patient, near term, with him.  However, I find his post-game quote that "Things never go as planned" disturbing. 

428110[/snapback]

I interpret that as meaning, "we're not going to perfectly execute our gameplan," not so much as dispensing with the gameplan. In other words, "we're going to make (unplanned) mistakes." I think it's a good attitude to have--I don't like seeing Losman coming off the field visibly upset at every little mistake he makes. That bad body language is terrible for the team.

I don't believe anyone should expect miracles from JP and thus am willing to be patient, near term, with him.  However, I find his post-game quote that "Things never go as planned" disturbing. 

Is JP's attitude that the whole game should be improvisational because the game plan will most likely not work?  Is the game plan thus a secondary consideration?  I hope that's not where he is coming from.  That's more the way you play the game in high school or earlier.  JP's mindset and commitment should clearly be to do everything possible to ensure that the game plan is carried out and works.  When all else fails, improvise.  Hopefully, the comment is grounded on JP's experiences at Tulane, where he had an awful OL and improvisation was therefore a must, and that the Bills OL will (pray) afford JP the opportunity to settle down and settle in

That's not to say that improvising cannot be effective; watch your Steve Young or even Flutie videos.  But it should obviously not be your first priority.  If it is and remains to be for JP, we are, and JP is, in big trouble. 

428110[/snapback]

jiminy christmas, we need the regular season to get here. when folks begin over-analyzing a simple comment such as "things never go as planned" it is clear that we're doing too much thinking about the subject.

a "robotic" view towards the gameplan is not what is needed. the best teams, coaches, and players adapt to changing circumstances. what JP is saying is "schitt happens" and the good players and teams adapt. he said that he learned something from trying to "baby" a pass into the wind. i don't know why anyone would take issue with his post game comments.

I think you are reading too much into the quote.

It is getting to be the preferred method arguing points to try to over intepret opposing views into the most extreme version of waht might have been said and then to argue that an opposing view is outlandish but I think one is more likely to be accurate interpreting JP's comments in a more moderate light.

I don't think JP was saying that because things do not go according to plans that then one should throw our whole gameplan out the window and only improvise each and every play.

That would be stupid and I do not think it is what he meant from what he said.

JP I think was merely saying that you are facing other professional athletes who have their own plans and also make some great plays.

I have no problem whatsoever with him improvising but improvising on an episodic basis and within out gameplan.

We have yet to even see a real gameplan so I do not think it is worth getting one's panties all up in a wad over a rash interpretation over something he said.

As the season develops if he shows a tendency to go off plan and improvise. If he improvises unsuccessfully and particularly if the gameplan is working out as well as it worked out during the winning streak last year then one should be worried or even panic.

Yet mere concern over his poor performances so far (balanced with happiness over some great escapability he has shown and no INTs before last night) would seem to be warranted here rather than worry and not panic.

Is JP's attitude that the whole game should be improvisational because the game plan will most likely not work?  Is the game plan thus a secondary consideration?  I hope that's not where he is coming from.  That's more the way you play the game in high school or earlier.  JP's mindset and commitment should clearly be to do everything possible to ensure that the game plan is carried out and works.  When all else fails, improvise.  Hopefully, the comment is grounded on JP's experiences at Tulane, where he had an awful OL and improvisation was therefore a must, and that the Bills OL will (pray) afford JP the opportunity to settle down and settle in

That's not to say that improvising cannot be effective; watch your Steve Young or even Flutie videos.  But it should obviously not be your first priority.  If it is and remains to be for JP, we are, and JP is, in big trouble. 

Speaking of discipline, if the penalities don't decrease substantially, we're undoubtedly in big trouble, no matter what JP does.

428110[/snapback]

Your reading too much into a cliche !

I don't care about any of this stuff until the real bullits start flying in the regular season. Its all bs until then. Overspeculation, overanlyzing, overboard. Seen too many preseasons in which I thought,"Man the Bills are going to kick a$$ this season" and they fall flat. Or "$hit, Bledsoe looks awsome, our season is going to be fantastic"

I'll wait for the season before I get upset or happy about the Bills.