Not Feeling Law School Right Now, Advice?

Law School was something I was kind of back and forth on for awhile while in college. When I graduated from college in 2004, I took a year to consider my next step in life. After some consideration, I decided to go ahead and go through with it.

Now that I am here it doesn't feel quite right. The subject matter doesn't seem interesting like it used to. For example, I feel lost in completely lost and bored in my Civil Procedure class. People seemed friendly at first during orientation, but now it seems like this whole place is rather insular. My life story comes off rather lame as far as where I go to school and where I am from and I am regretting that choice as well and that of course is the typical ice-breaker around here.

I kind of wish I had gone further away for law school than I did and additionally, I am worrying that the career is not for me and that I will neither succeed nor enjoy my time here. (My local school was a top 14 and I got a great tuition benefit because of family working at broader university.)

I want to stick this out and see what I think after the first semester is over at least, but I am starting to worry that as time goes on messing up by going to law school, if it is indeed a mistake, will be a black mark on me when it comes to a different career.

I know this is lame to bring up here, but family members and my fiancee and others sort of have relied on my decision and don't really want to burden them with stuff until I think I am settled on what to do. Since I know there are some lawyers or at least people who went to law school here, I thought I would ask for advice.

Thanks a lot.

My son graduated from Law School and the only thing I could tell you is, if your heart is not in it, then it is not the place for you. We had always told him to do what he thought was right and if Law School was not, then do something else. Good luck with your decision.....

I want to stick this out and see what I think after the first semester is over at least, but I am starting to worry that as time goes on messing up by going to law school, if it is indeed a mistake, will be a black mark on me when it comes to a different career.

419567[/snapback]

If you want a different career later, would law school really be a black mark on your record? (Try not to insert lawyer joke here...) I know attorneys have a bad reputation in the general public, but wouldn't some law background be a good basis in business or marketing?

If it really feels like the wrong field for you, maybe it is. Don't let family and friend pressure sway your decision. It's your life, dammit.

College is a discovery process, anyhow. My brother had 7 different majors in his first 7 semesters. Then, he dropped out! He got a BA about 15 yrs later, though.

Good luck with it. Changing direction need not be a bad thing.

School is for suckers. Get a job as a Mater Dei and the world will be your oyster.

Seriously, you need to consider if you want a career in the law, or if you can start there and transition into something related that you like. If so, it's worth sticking it out for a few years. If not, you should move on to something else.

If you want a different career later, would law school really be a black mark on your record? (Try not to insert lawyer joke here...) I know attorneys have a bad reputation in the general public, but wouldn't some law background be a good basis in business or marketing?

I know two people with law degrees. It took my wife's cousin a year or so to get a job (not sure why) - this was in Madison, WI.

Another friend from high school got her law degree, worked in the field for awhile, and hated it. This was in NY somewhere (probably around NYC, but I'm not 100% sure). She went back to school, got her degree in library sciences, and now works at the UB library. Didn't sound like her law degree was any sort of problem.

I'd say that if your heart isn't into it, you should probably find something else, but that's a decision you're going to have to make on your own.

CW

Dude, suck it up and stick it out. Long term you'll be much better off. Just remember the hard work you do now will translate into an easier and more comfortable life down the road. Not that lawyers don't work hard, they do, but they are well compensated for it and it opens up a lot more doors than you would imagine as far as careers go.

School is for suckers.  Get a job as a Mater Dei and the world will be your oyster.

419606[/snapback]

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. :D

It's all up to you though. If you don't want to do it, get out while you can!

I originally wanted to plan for law school (I'm still in HS), but I said to myself, "Why the hell would I want to do that?" It's all boring now.

A law degree opens many doors. I'd say stick it out - it's only three years. IF you take time off - there is a good chance you may NEVER go back. Trust me.

Most of my friends have their law degree's and most of them no longer practice. They have found really good jobs - and their degree is not a hinderance. A law degree is VERY good thing to have.

The first year is always tough - but you'll get through it.

Maybe look into a JD/MBA?

Good luck.

as others have already advised, stop thinking that a law degree might be a "black mark" on your resume later on. that's ridiculous. if you just don't enjoy being in school, that's something entirely different. there are so many areas of the law in which to practice -- it's not all criminal defense, personal injury, or real estate (although each of those practice areas can be very stimulating and rewarding). you can also use your law degree in non-traditional areas. it's a door-opener, not a restriction.

my $.02, anyway. feel free to PM if you'd like to discuss further.

A law degree would be great, but if you are not having fun, and if you are not enjoying the subject matter then go do something you will enjoy. Life is too short to suffer through something just to have a chance at making more money.

Do something you'll love, and something that feels right.

I've been practicing for 4 years and have realized that I don't want to practice longterm. Although people say a law degree is useful for a number of jobs, I'm not sure that's true. It definitely does not hurt you but I'm not sure it's as much of an asset as people think - if you want a non-law job. So I wouldn't spend the money and the time if you are pretty sure you don't want to practice.

There are many areas of law that folks don't think about. Communications Law is something I had thought about. Working in the radio business, I see them all the time. These lawyers only practice before the FCC and are concentrated in Washington DC, for obvious reasons. No life-or-death stuff. No representing scumbags. But oh so much $$$!

PTR

I've been practicing for 4 years and have realized that I don't want to practice longterm.  Although people say a law degree is useful for a number of jobs, I'm not sure that's true.  It definitely does not hurt you but I'm not sure it's as much of an asset as people think - if you want a non-law job.  So I wouldn't spend the money and the time if you are pretty sure you don't want to practice.

419714[/snapback]

I go with her. What do you want to do? I work with a navy commander who is a bar member in California. He's an intelligence guy. He's a called up reservist. A lot of the skills he's picked up as a practicing attorney have been helpfull personally in the field, but in the qualifications part no one cares. What do you ultimately want to do?

I'll defer back to DC Girl.

Three years go by pretty damn quick. And you said you don't have that much risk w/r/t $$ because of your family tuition break. I'm also guessing that you're single without kids. With those factors in mind, I'd say suck it up and finish. You're still very young and can always do something else later. Just be careful not to fall into the trap of thinking you HAVE to practice law for the rest of your life because you invested three years in law school. It ain't true.

And yes, I'm a lawyer.

P.S. if you weren't bored in your Civ Pro class, I'd worry about you. :D

I originally wanted to plan for law school (I'm still in HS), but I said to myself, "Why the hell would I want to do that?"  It's all boring now.

419616[/snapback]

I got ten bucks says you'll be posting here in seven or eight years bitching about your Civ Pro class. :D

Law school SUCKS, but it's nothing like practicing law. I hated law school, but I love being a lawyer (commercial litigation). My advice: stick it out and try working for a small firm this summer - see if you enjoy practicing law more than studying it. I certainly did. I wasn't sure I wanted to be a lawyer until my first summer associate gig - and then I was sold.

PM me if you have more, specific questions.

It's a tough question. If you hadn't started yet I think I'd tell you to give some consideration to doing something else. Unless you are going to a state school or someone else is paying your way, the three year cost of law school is enormous. If you finance it (which most people do now), the payment becomes a huge burden on your income after you graduate, especially as a young lawyer when you aren't going to make much. The general public has a misunderstanding as to what the average lawyer makes. While there are certainly some lawyers who do very well, most new lawyers outside of major metropolitan areas are only going to make about $50k. While that's not poverty level, if you throw in a monthly loan payment of a grand or so, you're not going to get rich either. There are a lot of other jobs you could do, that don't require that level of education, where you could net the same amount.

I usually tell people who ask about law school, don't just go to go. If it's something you always wanted to do, that's great, pursue it. But if your not sure what to do with your life, and you think law school might be "interesting" or might buy you some time, think about some other less expensive and time consuming options. The other thing to consider is that in addition to the cost of going to school, you are going to give up three years of your life/career/income that you would otherwise be devoting to something else--and which you would be that much farther along in by the time you graduate.

But given that you've already started I think I'd stick it out for a while, especially since you've probably already paid tuition for the semester. I also think having some initial concerns about being at a new school, and the general stress of first year law school is natural. Don't give up on it for that reason alone. I'd give it some more time (and agree that finding some legal work outside of school will give you a more realistic look at what it's like to be a lawyer.) But if you still have serious reservations a few months down the road then think more seriously about what else might be better for you.

Good luck.