Madden on final list for HOF

envirojeff

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i totally disagree with you guys. he was the first (and maybe still the only?) coach to win 100 games in 10 years- and with a 14 game schedule, that is one hell of a winning percentage. year in and year out, he was a master at getting a cast of lunatics to stay sober long enough to pull together and play and WIN as a team. AND he has a super bowl ring, so as far as i'm concerned, madden the coach belongs in the hall of fame MORE than marv levy does!

ps...nothing personal, but i wonder how many of the people who don't think he was a good enough coach were actually watching football in the 70s??

Madden the coach doesn't belong there, nor does Madden the announcer

However Madden the game does

417149[/snapback]

Announcers technically dont go into the Hall fo Fame but there is that award they give out every year that Madden won, Van Miller won and Don Crique won as well. As far as madden the coach, he has one of the highest winning percentages of any coach in the past 30 years, maybe in history. He coached for exactly 10 years and won over 100 games. During that time the Raiders were always one of the best teams in the NFL. I'd say hes a good candidate for the Hall.

i totally disagree with you guys.  he was the first (and maybe still the only?) coach to win 100 games in 10 years- and with a 14 game schedule, that is one hell of a winning percentage.  year in and year out, he was a master at getting a cast of lunatics to stay sober long enough to pull together and play and WIN as a team.  AND he has a super bowl ring, so as far as i'm concerned, madden the coach belongs in the hall of fame MORE than marv levy does!

ps...nothing personal, but i wonder how many of the people who don't think he was a good enough coach were actually watching football in the 70s??

417166[/snapback]

ok, i will go with madden the coach , DON'T TELL ME LEVY SHOULD NOT BE IN THE HALL

Makes you wonder if Thurman or Andre even gets in this year...personally, I think Andre is going to have to wait a few years before he gets his ticket to Canton (although any wait longer than 2010 is very, very wrong). Thurman SHOULD be a first-ballot HOFer though. I think this is a year where we get the full 6-member class for the Hall.

My early prediction is: Troy Aikman, Reggie White, Thurman Thomas, Michael Irvin, John Madden (because one of the old-time choices ALWAYS makes it) and Bruce Armstrong.

Although I might add there is a good chance Irvin doesnt make it again...not only for his poor attitude when he was a player, but also because lately the Hall doesnt seem to like putting in HOF members who played on the same teams during an induction year. So it wouldnt surprise me if Irvin got dropped.

Hard to have a better ten year run than this. And this was during a period with some dominant AFC teams.

+--------------+----------+

| Reg. Season | Playoffs |

+----------+--------------+----------+

| Year TM | W L T | W L |

| 1969 oak | 12 1 1 | 1 1 |

| 1970 oak | 8 4 2 | 1 1 |

| 1971 oak | 8 4 2 | 0 0 |

| 1972 oak | 10 3 1 | 0 1 |

| 1973 oak | 9 4 1 | 1 1 |

| 1974 oak | 12 2 0 | 1 1 |

| 1975 oak | 11 3 0 | 1 1 |

| 1976 oak | 13 1 0 | 3 0 |

| 1977 oak | 11 3 0 | 1 1 |

| 1978 oak | 9 7 0 | 0 0 |

| TOTALS | 103 32 7 | 9 7 |

I don't have a problem with Madden getting into the Hall, but it just depresses me that Ralph continues to be overlooked.  He'll be there eventually, but I'd hate to see it be posthumous.  He deserves his day.

417190[/snapback]

that is absolutely true...he deserves to live long enough to either hoist the lombardi trophy or go to canton. preferably both!!

i totally disagree with you guys.  he was the first (and maybe still the only?) coach to win 100 games in 10 years- and with a 14 game schedule, that is one hell of a winning percentage.  year in and year out, he was a master at getting a cast of lunatics to stay sober long enough to pull together and play and WIN as a team.  AND he has a super bowl ring, so as far as i'm concerned, madden the coach belongs in the hall of fame MORE than marv levy does!

417166[/snapback]

Right on jester. Madden was the real deal.

And those 70's Raiders teams he won with were true classics.

However, this made me feel really old:

"Madden, chosen by the hall's seniors committee, will be joined by 13 other candidates from the modern era."

that is absolutely true...he deserves to live long enough to either hoist the lombardi trophy or go to canton.  preferably both!!

417195[/snapback]

I think that if Mr. Wilson ever did hoist that Lombardi Trophy, they'd pretty much have to put him in...

Right on jester. Madden was the real deal.

And those 70's Raiders teams he won with were true classics.

However, this made me feel really old:

"Madden, chosen by the hall's seniors committee, will be joined by 13 other candidates from the modern era."

417225[/snapback]

The fact that he needed to be picked by seniors committee tells you that the younger and maybe wiser voters did not want the baffoon in the hall many times but like lemings they will follow the lead of the pack over the cliff.