Universal Orlando

stevewin

Making an annual trip to Florida in Sept. - this time will line up w/ Bucs game - will be visiting my brother in Sarasota for part of the time who will be getting us tickets for the game.

Instead of Disney this time around we were going to check out Universal in Orlando for a change of pace. Anyone have any feedback/opinion on Universal? Also - anyone stay at any of the 3 on-site hotels (Portofino Bay, Hard Rock, Royal Pacific) and have any comment on them? Any info appreciated.

Making an annual trip to Florida in Sept. - this time will line up w/ Bucs game - will be visiting my brother in Sarasota for part of the time who will be getting us tickets for the game.

Instead of Disney this time around we were going to check out Universal in Orlando for a change of pace.  Anyone have any feedback/opinion on Universal?  Also - anyone stay at any of the 3 on-site hotels (Portofino Bay, Hard Rock, Royal Pacific) and have any comment on them?  Any info appreciated.

415303[/snapback]

Universal/Islands of Adventure is a great pair of parks with some excellent rides...they also have citywalk which is a ton of fun (especially if you are 21 or over) As opposed to Disney, (and i dunno if you have kids) i'd say these 2 parks are geared a bit toward the older crowd moreso than the Disney parks...

Instead of Disney this time around we were going to check out Universal in Orlando for a change of pace.  Anyone have any feedback/opinion on Universal?  Also - anyone stay at any of the 3 on-site hotels (Portofino Bay, Hard Rock, Royal Pacific) and have any comment on them?  Any info appreciated.

415303[/snapback]

Actually I can help you out a little. I live in West Palm and have been to the Orlando area more times then I can count. Universal is great but the Islands of Adventure are better. If you can arrange to do both or if you had to choose one, Islands is the the better choice.

Also as far as the Hotels go I think Portofino is the best all around choice.

My wife and I went to Universal/Islands of Adventure while on our honeymoon. I loved it. Islands of Adventure has some really nice rides and attractions. I loved the Spider-Man 3D ride, the Dr. Doom's Fear Fall, the Hulk coaster, and the Dueling Dragons. I also liked the different areas of the park, like the one area that had old cartoon characters like Betty Boop and Popeye plus the Dr. Seuss area, complete w/ psychadelic colors from the ground up.

Universal is cool and, like someone else mentioned, does have more of an adult feel to it. You can go to Emeril's and catch him doing his show (if you're lucky and he's there) or you can walk around and see all the characters out on the street. They had a Sherman Klump (from the Nutty Professor remake w/ Eddie Murphy) out there that wasn't that far off of the Eddie Murphy character.

Overall, I really like Universal/Islands of Adventure and would gladly recommend it to anyone.

I would hit Sea World instead...

415323[/snapback]

Been to Sea World - wanted to try something different.

My kids are both 7 - they will do any ride as long as they are allowed to go on it (meet height req). Both are over 48" and my exp. is that that will get them on most decent rides.

My wife just started looking at some of the Universal on site hotel stuff. Apparently there is a fastpass type thing to not have to wait in regular lines if you stay at one of them? Also there's some packages now where kids get free park admission and get some free meals at the park

Kids free

I know a way to get into Universal for free!!!!! :o:D:huh::P

415303[/snapback]

415303[/snapback]

Universal is great for slightly older kids.

The rides there are much better then at Disney IMHO.

415303[/snapback]

Universal is our favorite in Orlando. We as a family stay away from Disney stuff (I know - sacrilege). Highly recommended - ET, Mummy, Shrek, Jimmy Neutron, Terminator.

My wife just started looking at some of the Universal on site hotel stuff.  Apparently there is a fastpass type thing to not have to wait in regular lines if you stay at one of them?

Kids free

415343[/snapback]

Tip on saving money - you can take advantage of the Fastpass thingy without staying at their hotels or paying more at the gate. Every ticket is eligible for one 'appointment' at a time. If you do a good job of always having one pending appointment, you can maximize your rides. Start early and get the popular rides done early. The crowds really start coming in around noon.

Tip on saving money - you can take advantage of the Fastpass thingy without staying at their hotels or paying more at the gate. Every ticket is eligible for one 'appointment' at a time. If you do a good job of always having one pending appointment, you can maximize your rides. Start early and get the popular rides done early. The crowds really start coming in around noon.

415529[/snapback]

Yeah - we are familiar w/ the fastpass concept from Disney. My wife is a fastpass virtuoso.

I know you can save money by staying offsite - but usually I am willing to lay out the extra dough and stay on site - esp if there are deals/packages which make it more reasonable.

Dueling Dragons has got to be one of my top 5 roller coasters ever.

As said before, Universal is more for rides, especially Islands of Adventure. If your kids love thrill rides, hit it up. Jurassic Park will also be a hit for you and your family.

Wiggles Roadie?  :devil:

415384[/snapback]

He's probably talking about sitting down in front of a time share sales person for an hour and a half to two hours. They give free tickets out to all the parks down here if you can make it through the beating they give you. Have fun. :lol:

IMO I think Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure are the better choice. With all the different rides at Universal... MIB, The Mummy, Jimmy Nuetron, and Shrek and Islands of Adventure with the Hulk, Dueling Dragons, Spiderman and others you and your family can't go wrong. Not to mention, you can walk around both Parks and CityWalk drinking ice cold Bud Lights...

City Walk has a really cool night life geared for adults (kids welcome) plus Emeril's Resturant

We have only stayed at the Portofino, we enjoyed it. Look on the internet to see if there is any inernet specials for Park tickets or hotel specials.Universalstudios.com

Good Luck..Enjoy your vacation where ever you end up going and

we'll see you at the Bills/Bucs game....Go Bills!!!

If you have anyone in your party that is hearing sensitive bri9ng some kind of protection. Not kidding, the biggest complaint that i have is some of the rides are too loud, I am not alone on this, i have heard it from several others. Children should wear hearing protection during shows such as the terminator, and Jaws, because of the loud explosions. Otherwise have a great time, and Orlando thanks you for your business.

I used to live in Orlando, and Islands of Adventure is the only park that I can say that I still like to go visit, even though I've been there a few times. The roller coasters make it fun, and the other rides (spiderman, jurassic park, etc) give you a nice break from the good coasters they have.

Their hotels are pretty expensive though.