The Bills, Canada and Passports

30dive

I just confirmed air tickets to Buffalo for the Denver game. FYI- Southwest from BWI $106 roundtrip includes all taxes and surcharges. Anyhow, we usually stay at the Marriot Falls View, nice hotel, etc. So here is the question, should I go ahead and get a Passport for my travel between the US and Canada? And can anyone explain the process, timeline etc.

Thanks!

I just confirmed air tickets to Buffalo for the Denver game.  FYI- Southwest from BWI $106 roundtrip includes all taxes and surcharges. Anyhow, we usually stay at the Marriot Falls View, nice hotel, etc.  So here is the question, should I go ahead and get a Passport for my travel between the US and Canada? And can anyone explain the process, timeline etc.

Thanks!

414522[/snapback]

I believe the proposal that requires a passport to go between the US and Canada, has been tossed in the garbage can. A birth certificate will suffice.

I just confirmed air tickets to Buffalo for the Denver game.  FYI- Southwest from BWI $106 roundtrip includes all taxes and surcharges. Anyhow, we usually stay at the Marriot Falls View, nice hotel, etc.  So here is the question, should I go ahead and get a Passport for my travel between the US and Canada? And can anyone explain the process, timeline etc.

Thanks!

414522[/snapback]

Passports are not required...yet. If you have one, bring it along. Otherwise any valid picture ID will do. Hard to predict the border. Going to Canada always easy. Coming back is tougher. If you have a border guard who wants to ask your life story, deal with it. Just give yourself, at worst, 30mins to get over the border. 99% of the time, you'll breeze through.

Few other pointers:

> Don't call your buddy in the back seat "Osama"

> Bring nothing you would not want to be caught with

> Sit up straight, smile, and no jokes. All your sense of humor will get you is a cavity search...although some of the female Canadian border guards can be flirty.

PTR

whether or not one is needed, my wife and i recently obtained ours and plan to take them when we're in the area for the opener. we're going to toronto for a couple of days and didn't want to take any chances.

the process to get one is pretty simple. go here for details. it took about 3 weeks to get ours once the applications were turned in.

When they ask if you have anything to declare, say "War" and speed off.  They love that.

414531[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

I've taken to bringing my birth certificate with me. If you have kids, it's always a good idea to bring theirs.

Came back from Toronto last night after we bailed on the ferry (it blew out three windows docking in Toronto and I didn't feel like waiting hours for them to fix it, especially since all they would tell us was "it'll be another half an hour or so" ... every time I asked). Made the trip to Pittsford in just under three hours thanks to (1) EZPass and (2) maybe six minutes in line at the Lewiston-Queenston bridge. NEVER take the Rainbow Bridge if you can help it.

Oh and if the border guard asks you if you're carrying any firearms, don't pause before answering.

Happened to me once. My mind was wandering (perhaps it was already on Lundy's Lane) and the guard asked "Are you bringing any firearms?" I vapor-locked for a second before saying "No." Guy goes "Had to think about it for a second, eh?" I said, "No, just surprised at the question." Nice recovery, I guess... he let me go.

My family (mom, dad, sister, and brother-in-law) and I ventured into Canada yesterday after staying in Buffalo on Saturday night.

We went prepared w/ birth certificates/passports, but were not asked for any identification of any kind. The Canadian border was easier - we sat in traffic for the US border for ~1 hour.

This is from the US Gov link from above. Looks like a good idea to have a passport by the end of next year for all US citizens. I've been thinking about a 3-4 day cruise to the Bahamas and will need a passport by the end of this year to do that.

The travel initiative requirements will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines.  The proposed implementation timeline is as follows:

December 31, 2005 – Passport or other accepted document required for all travel (air/sea) to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America.

December 31, 2006 – Passport or other accepted document required for all air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada.

December 31, 2007 – Passport or other accepted document required for all air, sea and land border crossings.

Current Requirements for Entry Into Canada

Visas are not required for U.S. citizens entering Canada from the U.S. You will, however, need:

Proof of your U.S. citizenship such as your U.S. passport (For information on obtaining a U.S. passport, check with one of the regional passport agencies located throughout the U.S.) or certified copy of your birth certificate issued by the city, county or state in the U.S. where you were born. If you are a naturalized U.S. citizen and do not have a passport, you should travel with your naturalization certificate. A driver’s license or Social Security card is NOT valid proof of citizenship.

photo identification, such as a current, valid driver’s license.

All U.S. citizens entering Canada from a third country must have a valid passport.

Alien permanent residents of the U.S. must present their Alien Registration Card, commonly called a “Green Card.”

If you are a dual U.S./Canadian citizen you should always present yourself as a Canadian citizen when entering Canada. However, U.S. citizens should use their U.S. passports when entering or leaving the United States.

Due to international concern over child abduction, single parents, grandparents, or guardians traveling with children often need proof of custody or notarized letters from the other parent authorizing travel. (This is in addition to proof of citizenship as explained above.) Any person under the age of 18 and traveling alone should carry a letter from his/her parent or guardian authorizing the trip. Travelers without such documentation may experience delays at the port of entry.

Thanks!

414522[/snapback]

passports are not requiered yet, as mentioned above but let me give you a heads up. I would get one now, the soner the better because when they are mandatory I have been told that the price will be going way up, and the wait will be considerably longer.

Always loved when they asked purpose of your trip. you can just say  "Ballet" to the guys and they get a little smirk and wave you right on through

415140[/snapback]

Not necessarily...me and some buddies went when we were back in school, and coming back over at about 3-4 am, we told the border guard we went to the 'Downer...he proceeded to talk with us for 15 mins about which clubs were better than others, what specials they have and which dancers he liked/were the hottest...

Nope! Marriot Fallsview and Spa!

Are you sure you don't mean the Sheraton Falls View?

http://www.fallsview.com/NiagaraFallsviewHotel.shtml

For future reference, when traveling in and out of Canada by air definitely carry a passport.  In the past, I have used an expired passport without hassle but I suspect that this practice may end in the near future.

415362[/snapback]