Article on Sam Cowart

Fezmid

Poor Sam...he looked destined for great things when he came into the NFL. Injuries can be a cruel mistress. Watching him play the last few years with the Jets was pretty painful, it was clear he was just a shell of what we remembered him to be.

I remember the day he signed with the Jets and watching the board freak out with masses of people running to the nearest bridge, screaming that we replaced Sam Cowart with this midget, personal-foul collecting guy named London Fletcher who'll never fit in our system.

Whoops!

Poor Sam...he looked destined for great things when he came into the NFL.  Injuries can be a cruel mistress. 

Injuries suck, and are a part of the game. What sucks in this case was that Tampa Bay player INTENTIONALLY injured him and ruined his career. :devil:

CW

Injuries suck, and are a part of the game.  What sucks in this case was that Tampa Bay player INTENTIONALLY injured him and ruined his career.  :devil:

CW

412203[/snapback]

Oh man I forgot all about that...Well, here's hopin' that Sam gets something of a career back now that he's in Minnesota.

What a great D we had those few years in the late 90s.  Cowart, Wiley, BRUCE, Ted, and a bunch of underrated guys that were great for us - Gabe Northern, Kurt Shultz, and the almost forgotten Henry Jones.

We were friggin solid!

412218[/snapback]

Or how about the forgotten one, John Holecek? He was the man for us at MLB for a few years, I remember reading The Sporting News Preview one year and they called him one of the elite LBs in the NFL. Wha' happened?

Poor Sam...he looked destined for great things when he came into the NFL.

412186[/snapback]

Yeah, I think people forget how good he was. For a few seasons he was right up there with Ray Lewis as the top LB in the game. It's a shame how his career turned out.

I know Cowart got hurt in that game against Tampa, but I thought it was an injury on opening day against the Saints in Greggo's first season that messed his career and not the game against Tampa.

412275[/snapback]

Thats true, but both Sam Cowart ans Sam rodgers knocked out on the same drive agaisn't a Tampa team we were physicaly dominating up to that point. And Fez is dead on, the one that took out Cowart was a cheap shot by Frank Middleton.

Holochek went with Butler to SD, got cut a year later, and i think played a year in NO as a backup

I know Cowart got hurt in that game against Tampa, but I thought it was an injury on opening day against the Saints in Greggo's first season that messed his career and not the game against Tampa.

412275[/snapback]

I assumed (incorrectly?) that the injury in Tampa derailed him and that he wasn't fully recovered when he hurt himself later on. Could be wrong though.

CW

Thats true, but both Sam Cowart ans Sam rodgers knocked out on the same drive agaisn't a Tampa team we were physicaly dominating up to that point. And Fez is dead on, the one that took out Cowart was a cheap shot by Frank Middleton.

Holochek went with Butler to SD, got cut a year later, and i think played a year in NO as a backup

412284[/snapback]

And up until then, Coward was having as good a game as I have ever seen from any linebacker ever (LT included). I remember, just before he was injured, him forcing Tampa to go 3 and out blowing up three straight plays (with at least one, and maybe two sacks in that series). Damned shame injuries cut short his career (particularly since the one in Tampa was intentional).

...underrated guys that were great for us - ... Kurt Shultz

412218[/snapback]

He may have had some interceptions, but otherwise Kurt was what Coy Wire is today. Only, Kurt hurt teammates when he dove on the pile five seconds late. I remember when he did that to Phil Hansen once, drove his helmet right in his lower back and Phil turned around looking like he was going to jump Bogart all over someone.

He may have had some interceptions, but otherwise Kurt was what Coy Wire is today. Only, Kurt hurt teammates when he dove on the pile five seconds late. I remember when he did that to Phil Hansen once, drove his helmet right in his lower back and Phil turned around looking like he was going to jump Bogart all over someone.

412539[/snapback]

I disagree! He was alot better than Wire will ever be and he made a PB with the Lions to boot.

412275[/snapback]

This is something that we will never know, but the first game of GW's career as a coach was the Saints game. The Bills defense, with Cowart in there, played perhaps the best half of football a defense a Bills team has ever played, as well as the game last year against the Browns. I am not sure the Saints even made one first down until a couple minutes left in the half and they were shut out. When Cowart went down, the entire defense faded, and for the entire season, for the most part. Granted, we were a crappy team. But I honestly think that Cowart healthy that year could have been the difference in 3-4 games. That is what you call an MVP for a team.

This is something that we will never know, but the first game of GW's career as a coach was the Saints game. The Bills defense, with Cowart in there, played perhaps the best half of football a defense a Bills team has ever played, as well as the game last year against the Browns. I am not sure the Saints even made one first down until a couple minutes left in the half and they were shut out. When Cowart went down, the entire defense faded, and for the entire season, for the most part. Granted, we were a crappy team. But I honestly think that Cowart healthy that year could have been the difference in 3-4 games. That is what you call an MVP for a team.

412584[/snapback]

Certain players can elevate the performance pf their teammates on a limited basis.

At the LB position Chris Spielman and Darryl Talley fulfilled that role in the past.

The difference maker in 3-4 games ? Probably not - but the concept exists

Leonard Smith was used up by the time the Bills had him - but his charisma was an intangible - and sometimes that works

Certain players can elevate the performance pf their teammates on a limited basis.

At the LB position Chris Spielman and Darryl Talley fulfilled that role in the past.

The difference maker in 3-4 games ?  Probably not - but the concept exists

Leonard Smith was used up by the time the Bills had him - but his charisma was an intangible - and sometimes that works

412590[/snapback]

Perhaps not 3-4 games but maybe. I was only thinking of how terrible our defense was that year and we were 3-13. With Cowart, in my mind, we could have been 6-10. Big wow, I know, but still a sign of how good a player he was at the time before he ruptured his achilles. It changed the entire defense.

I strongly believe that had Cowart not been injured we were going to the playoffs, once he got injured the season fell apart. if I had a vote he would have been the Defensive player of the year. I was hopping he would recover, even in NY, but he never did.

I am hoping for a Vikings/Bills super bowl, just to see Winfield, Cowart, Irvin, and Williams again, oh not to mention Newman. and to beat them for ever leaving buffalo, except Irvin, who left a year to late. not to mention both teams are lifetime 0-4 in the super bowl. stranger things have happened

as for JH, he actually lives in orlando, in the Dr Phillips area, I went to his house a few years ago post buffalo, real nice guy.