Dudes... I say let him walk: Clements

DeeRay

He's a very good cb... no doubt about it... but why would you want to pay the guy top cb money when he's not a lock down cb? With McGahee, Evan, Losman... and still the need for a top flight tackle... and maybe a RT in a couple of years, I think Greer/King or drafting one next year should suffice. With McGee and Parrish and Fast Freddie... the Bills really don't need Clements return skills.

Sorry... I just don't see Clements as the most valuable player on the team... and if they re-sign him, he will be the highest paid player on the team... probably around $8 mil. I'd rather see Teflon slap the transition tag on him and get a #1 for him. The Bills would have considerable flexiblity in next year's draft with an extra #1 and an extra #3. With that extra #1 pick they couls also set themselves up for the following draft.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a very good cb... no doubt about it... but why would you want to pay the guy top cb money when he's not a lock down cb?  With McGahee, Evan, Losman... and still the need for a top flight tackle... and maybe a RT in a couple of years, I think Greer/King or drafting one next year should suffice.  With McGee and Parrish and Fast Freddie... the Bills really don't need Clements return skills.

Sorry... I just don't see Clements as the most valuable player on the team... and if they re-sign him, he will be the highest paid player on the team... probably around $8 mil.  I'd rather see Teflon slap the transition tag on him and get a #1 for him.  The Bills would have considerable flexiblity in next year's draft with an extra #1 and an extra #3.  With that extra #1 pick they couls also set themselves up for the following draft.

412116[/snapback]

You don't think Nate's a lock down CB? I'd disagree with that.

I'm not sure we should spend that much money either, but he IS either one of the best or possibly THE best at his position... Can't refute that.

Quick correction to your post -- if Buffalo puts the transition tag on him, all that gives us is the right to match another team's offer. If we don't match, we don't get anything. TKO was given a transition tag, for example. We'd have to franchise him (average of the top 5 CBs in the league) and hope someone wanted to trade for him or sign him outright (signing outright would give the Bills two first rounders, and that rarely happens).

CW

Nate is a very talented corner. Is he a shutdown corner? I'd say he could be, but he does have lapses from time to time. That said, I'd put him among the top CBs out there, though I still say Champ Bailey and Chris McAllister are the top corners in the business. Clements isn't that far behind them in ability though.

There is a HUGE step down from our #1 (Clements) to our #2 (McGee), #3 (Thomas), #4 (Greer), and #5 (King). Losing Clements next year would be very detrimental to a defense without a dominant pass rush. Sure we'd be ok, but only ok in the sense that we wouldn't fall out of the top half of ranked NFL D's.

If TD can sell me on the idea that he can land a dominant pass rusher with Clements' $$$, then I'd be ok with losing Clements. But otherwise, I say now is the time to end the vicious Buffalo Bills cycle of drafting 1st round CB's and letting them walk 4-5 yrs later.

You don't think Nate's a lock down CB?  I'd disagree with that.

I'm not sure we should spend that much money either, but he IS either one of the best or possibly THE best at his position...  Can't refute that.

Quick correction to your post -- if Buffalo puts the transition tag on him, all that gives us is the right to match another team's offer.  If we don't match, we don't get anything.  TKO was given a transition tag, for example.  We'd have to franchise him (average of the top 5 CBs in the league) and hope someone wanted to trade for him or sign him outright (signing outright would give the Bills two first rounders, and that rarely happens).

CW

412119[/snapback]

Quick correction to your post -- if Buffalo puts the transition tag on him, all that gives us is the right to match another team's offer. If we don't match, we don't get anything.

In that case, I'd say use the FT instead and still wind up with a number one. And no way is Clements in the class of Bailey and Law. I wouldn't dare leave Clements out there one on one with a top 10 receiver for a whole game.

Nate is definitely a top flight CB in this league, but if he is a true "shut-down" corner then he knocks down that damn pass on 4th and forever last year against the Jags and we likely go to the playoffs. He is still prone to lapses like that every now and then.

Nate is definitely a top flight CB in this league, but if he is a true "shut-down" corner then he knocks down that damn pass on 4th and forever last year against the Jags and we likely go to the playoffs.  He is still prone to lapses like that every now and then.

412141[/snapback]

Those "lapses every now and then" are what ALL of the best CB's have. CB is the toughest position in the NFL, next to QB.

Those "lapses every now and then" are what ALL of the best CB's have. CB is the toughest position in the NFL, next to QB.

412151[/snapback]

Amen. the guy is a shut down corner but that doesn't mean recievers aren't going to make some catches on him. That stupid catch people keep referring to was a career catch made by a solid reciever. 9 times out of 10 that catch never happens. Nate was a hair away from picking off that ball. Nate is 25 years old, just entering his prime.

Amen. the guy is a shut down corner but that doesn't mean recievers aren't going to make some catches on him.  That stupid catch people keep referring to was a career catch made by a solid reciever. 9 times out of 10 that catch never happens. Nate was a hair away from picking off that ball. Nate is 25 years old, just entering his prime.

412180[/snapback]

9 times out of 10 that catch never happens if you try to intercept it. 10 times out of 10 that catch never happens if you try to knock it down.

He's a very good cb... no doubt about it... but why would you want to pay the guy top cb money when he's not a lock down cb?  With McGahee, Evan, Losman... and still the need for a top flight tackle... and maybe a RT in a couple of years, I think Greer/King or drafting one next year should suffice.  With McGee and Parrish and Fast Freddie... the Bills really don't need Clements return skills.

412116[/snapback]

Crack open another beer please.

Sorry... I just don't see Clements as the most valuable player on the team... and if they re-sign him, he will be the highest paid player on the team... probably around $8 mil.  I'd rather see Teflon slap the transition tag on him and get a #1 for him.  The Bills would have considerable flexiblity in next year's draft with an extra #1 and an extra #3.  With that extra #1 pick they couls also set themselves up for the following draft.

412116[/snapback]

I agree. I'd rather take the money, and spend it on a pass rushing DE. You put heat on a QB, coupled with Milloy and Vincent playing at the safeties, and you can work with almost any kind of CB's. Ask the Eagles.

I wouldn't dare leave Clements out there one on one with a top 10 receiver for a whole game.

The Bills coaches who have been doing exactly that for the last two years may disagree with you. But hey, what do they know. :devil:

while Nate is very good, he's not a shut down CB.

Then according to your definition there's no such thing as a shutdown CB, because no other corner in the NFL gave up less than Clements did last year.

The Bills should do all they can to keep Nate. He is very young and getting better year after year. He really impressed me last year when we played the Bengals and he completely shut down Chad Johnson. Even though he does have a lapse here and there, he is still a great player. I hope he stays with the Bills for his entire career.

The Bills coaches who have been doing exactly that for the last two years may disagree with you. But hey, what do they know. :devil:

Then according to your definition there's no such thing as a shutdown CB, because no other corner in the NFL gave up less than Clements did last year.

412214[/snapback]

Wasn't Nate a Pro Bowl alternate last year? But I may be wrong.

412214[/snapback]

Right you are. Good thing our coaches are held in the highest esteem, especially around here. I never see any of their moves questioned, and why would I?

412214[/snapback]

Good thing we turned down Ozzie Newsome's player-for-player trade for Chris McAllister then.

Hey, I think Nate is w/out a doubt one of the top CBs in football right now. Do I believe he's the best? No. Even though I'm a diehard Bills fan, I still recognize McAllister and Bailey as the cream of the crop. Nate could very well edge these guys out in the next year or so, which is why I feel it is important to work out a deal to try to keep him here. It would suck if his best years were spent in another team's uniform.

CB is the postion they throw anybody with speed at. You can get ten very good CBs before you get ONE really good DE or LT. In terms of sheer value to a team they are at the bottom of the list. In terms of ability to obtain good ones, they are at the top of it. There are so many other postions that the big money should be devoted to for this simple fact. It would be great if they could sign and keep him. But this is the salary cap era. Youve got to pick your spots on where youre going to spend the big money and make the big comittments.

CB is the postion they throw anybody with speed at. You can get ten very good CBs before you get ONE really good DE or LT. In terms of sheer value to a team they are at the bottom of the list. In terms of ability to obtain good ones, they are at the top of it. There are so many other postions that the big money should be devoted to for this simple fact. It would be great if they could sign and keep him. But this is the salary cap era. Youve got to pick your spots on where youre going to spend the big money and make the big comittments.

412226[/snapback]

The market that is the NFL teams would disagree with you with the big contracts they have given top-flight cb's. I don't think a deal is going to get done before the season starts, but I think TD is going to use the franchise tag after the season is over or use it as leverage to get a deal done.