Backup QB scenario for this year...

LabattBlue

How do you see the Bills QB situation shaking out?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. How do you see the Bills QB situation shaking out?

• Losman, Holcomb & Matthews
    • Losman, Holcomb & Woodbury
    • Losman, Holcomb and a practice squad QB
    • Losman, Holcomb & a waiver pickup

I'm wondering if Matthews makes the team? Would the Bills consider going with just Losman & Holcomb and possibly pickup a QB off waivers and stick him on the practice squad? Or did the Bills promise Matthews a roster spot prior to him signing a contract. For Matthews it was pretty clear coming into camp that he was going to be a #3 at best.

I'm wondering if Matthews makes the team?  Would the Bills consider going with just Losman & Holcomb and possibly pickup a QB off waivers and stick him on the practice squad?  Or did the Bills promise Matthews a roster spot prior to him signing a contract.  For Matthews it was pretty clear coming into camp that he was going to be a #3 at best.

412070[/snapback]

From the sounds of things, I say this Woodbury kid lands on the PS, with Matthews as the #3.

From the sounds of things, I say this Woodbury kid lands on the PS, with Matthews as the #3.

412072[/snapback]

Woodbury cannot be placed on the practice squad due to his accrued time in the NFL...so we either keep him on the 53 man roster or release him outright...

I don't think there was ever even a hint that Matthews would be more than a mentor and an emergency QB. I do think there's a strong argument for keeping Woodbury (assuming he continutes to shine), and trying to retain Matthews in an assistant coach capacity.

I did just hear ini the last couple days (forget where) that AVP is currently doing that for the Bills, so maybe that position is already full.

The other thing we'd have to consider is whether Woodbury and Losman get along and communicate well. Even if Woodbury has "more of an upside," we should not retain him if he distracts/annoys/attracts?/confuses Losman.

Here's the problem with Woodbury, and it's a big one. If he makes the team as the #3, we really can't use him the way everyone would like to. If he is the designated #3 quarterback, he is not in the game and cannot be in the game unless you put him in there in place of your #1. So he could NOT be playing ST and could NOT be sent in to run options and could NOT be a guy who could play QB for a play or a series or in the red zone to take advantage of his physical gifts. If you make him the #2 QB then Holcomb cannot play, for the most part, and if JP is shaken up then Woodbury is our quarterback for a quarter or a half and I don't think we want that (unless we then put KH in and then JP becomes ineligible.

If we designate him as a WR then he can play, but then he cannot line up as QB behind the center as there are rules against that. He could line up in the backfield and get direct snaps or pitchouts but is that really going to fool anyone? I really like his talent and agressiveness and he could make this team, but it is not going to be easy to use him, and probably not the way we envision him, taking a couple snaps as a QB.

Agreed that the most likely scenario is JP, Holcomb. Matthews with Woodbury as a an ST player who can sub at QB in a slash role and in a real pinch. The decison will come down to the degree Matthews adds the highest value in terms of tutuelage of JP ask Holcomb's role is to be a sounding board for JP but also to improve him by breathing down his neck as a competitor while disaster QB Matthews can be a more co-operative sounding board or there is a higher value to be found in keeping Woodbury on the active roster as a slash player and ST guy who can be disaster QB if necessary.

In a perfect world we would keep both, but actually it is a player like Drew Haddad forcing himself onto the roster as an extra WR with ST chops or Leonhard forcing himself onto the active roster as an extra safety with ST chops that would force us to make a choice between Woodbury and Matthews

Right now Woodbury is behind because he has not established himself as anything more than a good ST player and we have a bunch of those. however, if he establishes himself as being a usable slash player or better than out LB ST aces, then if AVP can actually play the mentor role at QB Woodbury stays.

This is no answer to the final question because there are too many options and variables right now.

I'm wondering if Matthews makes the team?  Would the Bills consider going with just Losman & Holcomb and possibly pickup a QB off waivers and stick him on the practice squad?  Or did the Bills promise Matthews a roster spot prior to him signing a contract.  For Matthews it was pretty clear coming into camp that he was going to be a #3 at best.

412070[/snapback]

After the prodding management and the coaching staff to get Matthews back, I seriously doubt that they would cut him. Kelly is the clear #2, IMO.