What would it take to elect a 3rd party president?

In all seriousness, with both the Republicans and Democrats being as strong as they are?

How would it be possible for someone to overcome the massive advantage the bipartisans have by holding all the political cards? Does anyone think this could happen one day? If so, how could this be achieved?

Please discuss....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all seriousness, with both the Republicans and Democrats being as strong as they are?

How would it be possible for someone to overcome the massive advantage the bipartisans have by holding all the political cards? Does anyone think this could happen one day? If so, how could this be achieved?

Please discuss....

411621[/snapback]

Everyone is going to talk about a "grass roots" effort. I dont see it happening in my lifetime. Maybe a complete meltdown of the Gov. Or maybe a couple of Nukes going off in this country, dont know........

Please discuss....

411621[/snapback]

You start by:

"Sitting on a park bench"

Seriously, without going into details I think the first right step would be to go with two serious candidates as prez and vice from the two established parties. A Rep picks a Dem for a running mate, or vice versa. The more neutral folks from either party could be introduced into the administration, effecting more neutral policies -maybe even using wisdom over partismanship. Were the electable, and also successful, I don't see any other way to introduce a third party in our lifetimes.

I think we need a ticket that comprises both the Democrat and the Republican party. That blurs the line. We can't have a viable third option without blurring that line.

(No, McCain is not the man)

a celebrity with $200 Million to burn

411645[/snapback]

Didn't work for the celeb with billions to burn in Ross Perot.

It would take a sitting president who is has high poll numbers to switch parties to a 3rd party right before the election.

I don't know that it will ever make a difference in any way, but I don't see myself ever voting for another R or D again. Or a meet-in-the-middle R/D ticket.

In February 1992, someone declared they were running for president as an independent on "Larry King"; just nine months later, after dropping out and re-entering the race (!) he received 19% of the popular vote (19,722,042 votes!).

I'm just saying, it could happen.

It would take a sitting president who is has high poll numbers to switch parties to a 3rd party right before the election.

411649[/snapback]

Perot wasn't really a celebrity, just a well known executive.

by celebrity i meant a media (tv, movie, music) celebrity.

411649[/snapback]

Ah, but some alledge that he could have won had he not dropped out of the race...

411649[/snapback]

He made a pretty fair run at it though. He got more than 20% of the popular vote if I recall. Still well short of enough to win, but if you started with two people on the ticket who were more well known and more respectable (Ross had a little bit of that crazy thing that scared people), it might be possible.

But yes, it would take a mountain of cash.

He made a pretty fair run at it though.  He got more than 20% of the popular vote if I recall.  Still well short of enough to win, but if you started with two people on the ticket who were more well known and more respectable (Ross had a little bit of that crazy thing that scared people), it might be possible.

But yes, it would take a mountain of cash.

411731[/snapback]

You guys are all missing it. I don't think a third party could win no matter his/her cash.

I think the only way to make it happen is to have a well liked sitting president switch to a 3rd party right before the election. It would keep a lot of his "original" party votes, plus some of the other party and the "middle of the road" folks would probably swing towards him.

411649[/snapback]

If he hadn't dropped out and then re-entered the race.....

You never know.

You would need a crazy left win democrat (Hillary) vs. a Crazy right wing republican (Newt).

Then a third party has a chance.

The biggest problem is the perception they have no chance. I voted for bush in 04, not because i liked him, but because virginia was close and I didnt want to throw my vote away because kerry scared the hell out of me. The Nader Syndrome (or Perot Syndrome) is the problem. If people voted for who they actually wanted, yes a 3rd party has a chance. The key is convincing the electorate that there is actually a viable chance of the 3rd party winning.

Please discuss....

411621[/snapback]

I think that the people who would be interested in a third option are a fractured bunch politically. They have no dominant view that could weld them together. Many would disagree with eachother even more sharply than they do with either established party.

Some sort of cataclysm could do it maybe. A depression, that kind of thing.

I think that the people who would be interested in a third option are a fractured bunch politically. They have no dominant view that could weld them together. Many would disagree with eachother even more sharply than they do with either established party.

No, I disagree. I agree with the republican philosophy (or at least their campaign philosophy). Smaller Government, Lower Taxes, strong defense, less government involvement in our daily lives, etc. etc.

However, they get in office and its more of the same old crap. Its troublesome. A 3rd party candidate (who stood for my values) would get my vote, if for no other reason but to send a message. Its not that I have no political backbone, far from it....its just that neither side of the isle is doing what I want them to be doing as my elected representatives.

You would need a crazy left win democrat (Hillary) vs. a Crazy right wing republican (Newt).

Then a third party has a chance.

The biggest problem is the perception they have no chance.  I voted for bush in 04, not because i liked him, but because virginia was close and I didnt want to throw my vote away because kerry scared the hell out of me.  The Nader Syndrome (or Perot Syndrome) is the problem.  If people voted for who they actually wanted, yes a 3rd party has a chance.  The key is convincing the electorate that there is actually a viable chance of the 3rd party winning.

411764[/snapback]

I agree- the thing that irks me about last year's election is when you hear people say if you vote independent that your vote doesnt count. Those people did not learn to count in grade school, nor do they understand what America is about. Every vote counts- whether its for someone who has a chance or not- it still affects percentages, and can make the race that much tighter.

No, I disagree.  I agree with the republican philosophy (or at least their campaign philosophy).  Smaller Government, Lower Taxes, strong defense, less government involvement in our daily lives, etc. etc. 

However, they get in office and its more of the same old crap.  Its troublesome.  A 3rd party candidate (who stood for my values) would get my vote, if for no other reason but to send a message.  Its not that I have no political backbone, far from it....its just that neither side of the isle is doing what I want them to be doing as my elected representatives.

411776[/snapback]

Have you considered the Libertarian Party?