Hockey is Off ESPN

plenzmd1

And that's EXACTLY what Comcast wants people to say.

Screw 'em.

CW

410966[/snapback]

What sucked was...the ONE game I wanted to see most when I owned the dish when it came time for hockey season was the Sabres vs. the Flyers.

AND I COULDN'T.

The dish sucked wind yet again.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What sucked was...the ONE game I wanted to see most when I owned the dish when it came time for hockey season was the Sabres vs. the Flyers.

AND I COULDN'T.

The dish sucked wind yet again.

411084[/snapback]

That's not really Dish/DirecTVs fault...

Besides, would you rather watch a hockey game or the NFL? :D

CW

I have it and love it sooo much. I can watch any team and be entertained. After football was over last season I was in sports hell(don't like basketball). GAME ON!

Now, I NEED SOME INFO ON CENTER ICE!!!!!!!!!!!! Jonesing to watch some hockey, only about 7 weeks away

411011[/snapback]

Agreed - I really despise Comcast.

Want to hear more Comcast crap?  When they bought AT&T broadband a few years back, the first thing they did was raise the price of their internet access to $65/month for people without cable TV.  If you subscribe to their cable TV, it's only $50.  They were trying to convince me to purchase the $8/month cable package because that would still make my monthly bill cheaper.  How dispicable is that?  I told them to get lost because I wasn't going to help pump up their subscriber numbers to help their stock price.

I actually dislike Comcast more than I dislike Microsoft if you can believe that...

CW

410814[/snapback]

I despise monopolies, Fez, but I'd rather have Comcast here than what we currently have. Overpriced analog/digital cable service that doesn't carry all the new hip channels and cable net for $40 at 768 kb/s!!! :D

At least for a little bit more, I'd have more viewing choices and a whole lot faster net.

Now, I NEED SOME INFO ON CENTER ICE!!!!!!!!!!!! Jonesing to watch some hockey, only about 7 weeks away

411011[/snapback]

Any DirecTV subscribers care to comment on pricing? I heard that DirecTV sent a letter out saying it would be $129 this year. There is no info yet from In Demand on how much it will cost. Its an extra $4.95 a month to get OLN on my cable, so I might as well pay the extra to get every game....

Any DirecTV subscribers care to comment on pricing?  I heard that DirecTV sent a letter out saying it would be $129 this year.  There is no info yet from In Demand on how much it will cost.  Its an extra $4.95 a month to get OLN on my cable, so I might as well pay the extra to get every game....

411190[/snapback]

No info yet; their webpage still lists $129, but that's for the '04 season. I wouldn't be surprised if they reduced it to get more fans. Then again, maybe not. Not sure.

CW

I will miss John Bucigross (sp?) and Barry Melrose. But I will never ever miss those a$ sclowns Bill Clement, Gary Thorne and Darrin Pang. Even former Sabre Brian Engblom. God, those guys were so annoying. How many times did they state the obvious and overemphasize the play when any fan with hockey knowledge already knew? So I won't miss them or ESPN's no highlights of the games. Go suck up to your baseball spring training even more now!

I'm happy the NHL is going elsewhere and hopefully in the USA, we will be able to subscribe to the NHL Channel.

I have Dishnetwork in the Buffalo area and we don't currently get MSG which is going to broadcast the Sabres this year. They are supposedly working on it, but as of now we get Fox Sports Pittsburg. :D Also we don't get NFL network, which also sucks.

I would hate for dish and Cable tv to get like satellite radio where XM and Sirius have exclusive rights to different sports. It would certainly suck if you had to have both a Dish AND cable to get everything.

OLN appears to be like ESPN was in their infancy. This will be a good deal for the NHL and sports fans in the long run. Another sports channel cannot be a bad thing.

If you ask me ESPN is turning back into what they once were. I have never seen so many billiards, poker, and eating contests on TV. Freakin' eating contests? You have to be f'n kidding me.

At least the sports networks don't own entire distribution methods. :D  I see your point though, and big companies in general are just making things bad all around :doh:

True, although I don't think they should be allowed to have their own channel AND their own distribution method.  Not going to change though (at least, not for the better, only for the worse).

Yes, I'd still refuse to get cable.  I guess I just wouldn't get to watch any of the Sabres games.  I was fine without it last year... :doh:

CW

411057[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure if you live in Buffalo you can get the Canadian channels with a decent ant. At least see some hocky & some Sabre games, am I right?

I'm pretty sure if you live in Buffalo you can get the Canadian channels with a decent ant. At least see some hocky & some Sabre games, am I right?

411307[/snapback]

Yes, that's true -- I lived in Niagara Falls growing up, and I got channels 5, 9, and ... 22? I don't remember, but there were 3 of them. I used to watch the Eskimos win the Gray cup all the time. :lol:

CW

OLN appears to be like ESPN was in their infancy.  This will be a good deal for the NHL and sports fans in the long run.  Another sports channel cannot be a bad thing.

If you ask me ESPN is turning back into what they once were.  I have never seen so many billiards, poker, and eating contests on TV.  Freakin' eating contests?  You have to be f'n kidding me.

411241[/snapback]

...and the spelling bee, tractor pulls and bowling. :lol:

I must say i am very pleased with this deal. the NHL gets a stronger deal then they had offered to them by ESPN. they also will be the cornerstone for the OLN channel. thus high priority will go to the league and the sport. unlike on ESPN where i felt the sport was considered second rate. with the NHL having marquee players going form one team to another and a slew of roster turnover in general. and with the leagues fresh new landscape, fresh new system of parity, new logo, etc. i think changing stations will be a clean sweep of the old and huge step into the new. i am loving this deal.

i just hope that the real hockey guys like melrose, darren pang, bill clement, gary thorne, jon bucigrose all (or at least some) make the trip to OLN. cant wait for the puck to drop.

I will miss John Bucigross (sp?) and Barry Melrose.

411219[/snapback]

I was watching the Jays game last night on ESPN2, when the decision came down from ESPN. Buccigross was the one reading the announcement, and he didn't sound all too happy. It had a kind of end-of-an-era feel to it. I wonder how many guys from there Comcast will steal to cover hockey?

First off, ripping on soccer vs hockey is retarded, whatever the heck you feel personally, soccer is the most popular sport worldwide. Hockey on the other hand, will NEVER launch a sports empire. Its a sport now played only by a handful of people and was having all kinds of problems with ratings BEFORE they cancelled the season, sparking the launch of a new ad campaign focusing on hockey made in the USA. I enjoy watching hockey, but you guys need to realize that it is losing appeal, say whatever you want about it being a real sport, but the truth of the matter is most Americans can't relate to it or are bored by it save when there is an injury, freak accident or huge hit. NHL is DOOMED

There are still a core of US cities that care. BOS, BUF, CHI, PHI, NYR, NYI, NJD, DET, MINNY, AVS, LA, SJ.

Apparently, people would rather watch reality, poker, cop/sci dramas, and eating contests. Hockey is the fastest sport there is without machines. The Total Best!