From ESPN.com on TO

Adam

I laugh at that quote. I hate TO, and his attitude and grandstanding. The "its part of the business" trash is getting old. Report something once, then update when there is new news. Bring this information over load $%$%^#%$ to an end. Intelligent people are very sick of it.

"This situation has mushroomed far beyond what should be considered adequate coverage, and Terrell has become the media's favorite whipping boy. While this is discouraging, Terrell knows this is part of the business. To the fans he simply says that this was an isolated incident that was not premeditated. Terrell in no way wishes to be a disruption to the ultimate goal of winning the Super Bowl. In fact Terrell has gone out of his way to diffuse the tension by keeping to himself in all non-practice related affairs. During practice and work related situations he has been and will be attentive and responsive; Terrell only asks what every other worker in America asks for, respect and dignity."

I laugh at that quote. I hate TO, and his attitude and grandstanding. The "its part of the business" trash is getting old. Report something once, then update when there is new news. Bring this information over load $%$%^#%$ to an end. Intelligent people are very sick of it.

"This situation has mushroomed far beyond what should be considered adequate coverage, and Terrell has become the media's favorite whipping boy. While this is discouraging, Terrell knows this is part of the business. To the fans he simply says that this was an isolated incident that was not premeditated. Terrell in no way wishes to be a disruption to the ultimate goal of winning the Super Bowl. In fact Terrell has gone out of his way to diffuse the tension by keeping to himself in all non-practice related affairs. During practice and work related situations he has been and will be attentive and responsive; Terrell only asks what every other worker in America asks for, respect and dignity."

408436[/snapback]

So says the puppet master?

408436[/snapback]

That has to be drafted by Rosensh!t. The Eagles have a chance to destroy his act and his feckless puppet in one fell swoop. Hope they hang tough.

Even if he does get traded, he still needs his contract to be restructured by the new team he goes too. No one is going to trade for a 30+ disgruntled receiver. The eagles want a top receiver and a 1st round pick. TO will either sit out or be himself: Unhappy & Selfish.

I think TO is getting the short end of the stick here. Granted his behavior last week on the practice field was a little bizarre (reminds me of David Boston a couple of years ago with San Diego) but trying to go off and get more money even though he is under contract is acceptable. GMs renegotiate contracts in a heartbeat when a player has a bad season. It's like there is a ceiling and that's it. Philly needs TO. They won't trade him and I guarentee you that they won't make him inactive before games.

Renegotiate his contract and be done with it (he'll get injured again and then the GM will finalize an injury settlement). (That's what a lot of fans don't get. Most of the time, the players never see the amount of money they sign for unless of course it's guarenteed.)

Philly knew this when they got him from Balitmore. TO is just leveraging the situation. As long as he is one of the best, he can get away with the s hit he is pulling.

What would he be doing? Probably making a rap album. Every other player here in Atlanta seems to do that in their spare time.

I think it's more of the principle that TO is a giant Jack@ss and the eagles dont want to give him his way.  I think they should sit his @ss for 4 years - which won't happen.  Basically,  What would TO do if he wasn't in the NFL?

408661[/snapback]

He'd make more money and have a longer career in the NBA, probably.

SHOW HIM THE MONEY!!!!! YEAAHHH BABY YEAH!!

I'm probably one of the few who thinks the Eagles should renegotiate his contract. Performance speaks...

who cares if he's eccentric, borderline skitzo....the man can flat out play and he's one of the best...

Philly couldn't renegotiate TO's contract now even if they changed their minds and wanted to, to do so would severely damage their leverage in negotiations with future players, especially mega-ego superstars like TO. Their only options now are to trade him if they can get enough value or to make him play for his current contract and make him follow some rules, which is what it looks like their doing.

At the end of all this, TO holding out and then creating this circus is going to cost him MILLIONS in future earnings. Very few if any of the other teams will bring him in with a multi-year huge signing bonus contract and risk this happening to them. If he had just played one more year and put up similar or better numbers he'd have gotten his contract redone with no problem. Rosenhaus convinced him to hold out a year too early.

Oh well, couldn't have happened to a bigger ****...

They won't trade him and I guarentee you that they won't make him inactive before games.

408656[/snapback]

Who would have ever thought the Vikings would trade Moss, and he is a BETTER WR than Owens will ever be. Anything is possible and I am sure the Eagles are looking at all angles in order to rid themselves of TO FOREVER!

This situation will not get better even if TO returns to the team...once an !@#$, always an !@#$! :blush:

I think TO is getting the short end of the stick here. Granted his behavior last week on the practice field was a little bizarre (reminds me of David Boston a couple of years ago with San Diego) but trying to go off and get more money even though he is under contract is acceptable. GMs renegotiate contracts in a heartbeat when a player has a bad season. It's like there is a ceiling and that's it. Philly needs TO. They won't trade him and I guarentee you that they won't make him inactive before games.

Renegotiate his contract and be done with it (he'll get injured again and then the GM will finalize an injury settlement). (That's what a lot of fans don't get. Most of the time, the players never see the amount of money they sign for unless of course it's guarenteed.)

408656[/snapback]

Here are a couple of thoughts to consider:

1.) When have teams cut a star player 1 year into a long-term deal, even when said player stunk up the joint? It rarely happens because of the cap hits the teams would take.

2.) When have teams cut a player after he played "somewhat worse" than expected? When they are cut it is when they grossly underperform for their salary. Again, there are salary cap implications on such moves, so teams look for ways to avoid cutting players who fall short of expectations. Would they have cut him if he came in and ended last season #2 in yardage and TD's? No. That goes the other way as well. After spending the time balancing a contract over 7 years to ensure that it would fit into their salary cap structure for the next 5, they are not going to rejigger the numbers unless a player's performance well exceeds expectations. No matter what way you cut it, TO was given top 5 money in his contract. He came in feeling he was the #1 receiver in the league, and signed a contract that he felt was fitting him. They signed him figuring a top received would be the missing key to help them get over the hump and into the Super Bowl. He came in and put in a season that was on par with his best seasons in San Fran, which, to me, meets the expectations from both sides, and may even exceed them by a marginal percentage. But the performance, IMO, did not substantially exceed the expectations set at the point the contract was signed, and so no renegotation. He had an "average TO" season, why reward him when you were already paying to get "average TO?"

What I just don't get is:

TO nixed the trade to Baltimore last year

TO signed a brand new 7(?) year deal upon arriving in Philly

TO now says that contract (only 14% gone, some of which he was injured for) is inadequate

He had more bargaining power last year. Period.

No question the guy is a top-class jerk, but I wonder if the Eagles would consider guaranteeing some or all of his contract, and if this would make him change his mind at all. I've heard this is a major problem for a lot of NFL players, i.e. the responsibility for loyalty in the relationship is placed entirely on the players, and skirted by the ballclubs. If some of the problem here is that T.O. could get injured or have an off year and the Eagles could cut him or try to force renegotiations, then perhaps they could guarantee the contract and it would be worth what he signed for, no concern on that end. If it's ALL about getting more money, it's probably more difficult, and he should be faulted for signing a contract that he had no interest in honoring.