OT: NEWS FLASH: PETER JENNINGS DIES

Talonz

I knew he didn't have long. My father had the same type of lung cancer. He lasted 18 months after his diagnosis, but they were agony. The survival rate is only about 5%.

In my opinion, Peter Jennings was the epitome of what a professional journalist should aspire to be. Too few like him anymore.

R.I.P., Mr. Jennings.

That is a huge loss. For someone who has always been a little news obsessed, Peter Jennigs was the best. He is missed...

Back in the late 80's, while living in NYC, I worked at a music store across from the ABC studios. I had a handful of opportunities to meet him. He was never too stuck up to talk with people (unlike some of his ABC colleauges) about whatever the biggest news of the day.

I just read that while he was still at ABC, he refused to do a single story, on the nightly news, concerning Lacy Peterson. His only mention of the story was in passing, saying that stories like that are what 24 hour "news" networks are for.

I always thought that Jennings did, by far, the best coverage on issues concerning the middle east.

Sad day....it seems like cancer is wraviging so many lives right now...

My favorite memory of Jennings...

JENNINGS (Discussing rankings by presidential historians]: They gave you a forty-first in terms of moral authority - after Nixon.

CLINTON: They're wrong about that. You know why they're wrong about it? They're wrong about it.

JENNINGS: Why, sir?

CLINTON: Because we had $100 million spent against us in all these inspections. ... In spite of it all, you don't have any example where I ever lied to the American people about my job, where I have let the American people down. And I had more support from the world when I quit than when I started. And I will go to my grave being at peace about it. And I don't really care about what they think.

JENNINGS: Oh, yes you do.

CLINTON: They have no idea ...

JENNINGS: Excuse me, Mr. President. I can feel it across the room. You care very deeply.

CLINTON: No, no. I care. I care. You don't want to go here, Peter. You don't want to go here. Not after what your people did. And the way you - your network - what you did with Kenneth Starr. The way your people repeated every little sleazy thing he did. No one has any idea of what that's like.

It is a very sad day indeed. I worked with Peter at ABC News for a number of years in the early 90s.

After Cronkite retired I watched ABC and Peter was one of my heros. It was a thrill to get to know him. He was really and truly a nice guy. There are plenty of egos in the news world, but Peter was not one of them.

I remember doing a remote shoot with him in Nashville once - the broadcast was focused on healthcare and Peter was to anchor the live newscast with teh Vanderbilt University Medical Center in the background.

Peter was famous for coming to the set with only a minute or so to spare. Everyone rushing around and he would calmly stroll in at the last minute, sit down and do the broadcast.

Fortunately in nashville he showed up almost 30 minutes before air. This was very lucky because shortly after he arrived the Life Flight helicopter about 200 feet away from the set took off to go to a serious accident - the noise was deafening. Peter went to the set and even yelling into a hand-held microphone he couldn't be heard over the whirl of the chopper.

We ran up to the dispatcher who estimated that the helicopter would return at about 6:45pm, right in the middle of the live broadcast. Few things can't be put on hold for live TV, but life saving medical flights fall into that category. We were in deep trouble.

Peter knew what to do - tape the second half of the broadcast and then go right into the first part live. It worked superbly - Peter started the broadcast live on air and we cut to tape in NY just as the helicopter could be heard returning in the distance. Nobody ever knew. Peter was angrier than I've ever seen for being put into that situation and not to long after the senior producer who picked the shoot location was fired. We spent the 6 hours after the broadcast looking for a new shoot location - no way was Peter doing that again. To this day I still have a Vanderbilt Life Flight helicopter pin that reminds me of that trip.