Did Mel Kiper see the same scrimmage I did?

The completion percentage was the least of my concerns, it really doesn't matter.

The completion percentage was (in reality) 60%. Again HOW can anyone be critical of that? :blink: If you're throwing for that rate, you're doing VERY well. Yes he missed some passes, but that would have taken him to 70, 70, or 90%. If that's the expectation, people need to readjust their expectations.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody and their mother including Mel Kiper and his are reading WAY, WAY, WAY too much into one scrimmage. Mel Kiper is an idiot. So is John Clayton. You can make an argument that every single QB ever to play in the NFL is "iffy". He was 6-11. That's better than 50% yet he threw 5 incompletions, so he is streaky? Are QB's supposed to distribute their incompletions evenly? Mel's hair is on too tight.

I heard Mel Kiper & John Clayton on ESPN radio today

"I saw the Green Bay scrimmage.  JP Losman looked real "iffy" out there.  The Bills have other pieces in place - good D, 3 WRs, RB, but QB is weak link.  JP will make some good throws, but will several bad throws in a row.  you cant have a bad quarter in a game & win consistently in the NFL

401035[/snapback]

Mel and John, explain exactly how this is different from Drew Bledsoe last year? Some good throws, some bad throws, inconsistent.

JP is GOING to be up and down this year, the dimension he brings that Bledsoe didn't is his running ability, he showed a lot of mobility in the scrimmage, and not just scrambling, he stepped up to avoid the outside rush very well. The way see it is in terms of throwing Bledsoe and Losman are a wash, but JP can run when things get ugly out there and Bledsoe would curl up and get crushed. *pat* *pat*

If those guys expected anyone to come out in the 1st scrimmage and light up anyone they're nuts. As others have said Favre didn't look that great either and he's a HOF QB.

I'm looking for development, JP needs to be a little better next week than this week and so on. Will he have at least 1 horrible game, probably, will he make at least one comeback in the last 2 mins, probably. Such is life with a young QB.

I agree with Kiper's and Clayton's analysis is partly correct. Green Bay's defense is weak and Losman made some bad throws down field. One thing I noticed on the 20 yard pass up the middle was Losman threw on the edge of his heel not getting enough umpf...into the ball. It was thrown short. The second issue I saw (and this may be the coaches telling him to resist) was not running into the end zone when there was no defender (maybe was resistant because of the coaches again (we don't need another broken leg)) and the third was the poor decision on the throw to the side (where it almost got picked off). It looked like he was throwing off his heel again. He also made a rookie mistake of running on the one play when Josh Reed was open.

On the flip side, I thought his slant passes and hooks to Reed, Moulds and Parrish were excellent. They were crisp and precises passes. I think he had butterflies and he should be fine in the long term.

I did spend a week at the camp last year, and I can tell you that Losman does not have Bledsoe's arm. On the other hand, if he can play smart, we'll win a lot of games.

If he does have problems, I have no issue with Holcomb taking over. He was the most impressive QB on either side. That guy can throw.

Let's see how Losman does this weekend. I think we'll have a better insight when he can actually take some hits.

Any thoughts?

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/p...330/1007/SPORTS

"(August 7, 2005) — GREEN BAY, Wis. — Buffalo Bills quarterback J.P. Losman impressed his teammates with his quick reads and quick release during Friday night's scrimmage against the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field.

What had players buzzing afterward, however, was Losman's presence in the huddle and how the screams of 62,000-plus enemy fans didn't seem to faze the first-year starter."

No mention of being shaky, twitchy, confused, lost, or making mental errors.  How do you explain that?  Everyone from Mel Kiper to Sterling Sharpe, to the Jets fan board (we know how objective THOSE guys are!) said JP sucked out loud!

I guess being Bills fans, we would all rather believe the sky is falling rather than have anything good happen.  Even when we see it with our own eyes, we won't believe it.

PTR

401317[/snapback]

I don't put much store in that kind of soupy, abstract observation. He had "presence"???? He wasn't fazed by screaming fans? He has played many years now in front of screaming fans, I wouldn't have expected him to be "fazed". "Presence" is one of those meaningless, trite phrases that sportswriters and broadcaster like to gush about.

I saw one play where he clearly looked the defense right off of Moulds helping him to get wideopen and then he hit him between the numbers. I also saw him stare at a reciever for 4-5 seconds and then throwing to him anyway. It would have been a quick six for GB but the defender dropped the ball. Those are the kind of observations I wish we would hear more of from the writers and broadcasters, not a bunch of garbage about having "presence". That is the kind of thing you come up with when you want to say something positive but don't have much to work with in terms of what actually happened.

JP looked good here and there and also had a few goofs. That is, I would think, just about what everyone expected. No reason to call Kevorkian and no reason to schedule a parade either.

I don't put much store in that kind of soupy, abstract observation.  He had "presence"???? He wasn't fazed by screaming fans?  He has played many years now in front of screaming fans, I wouldn't have expected him to be "fazed".  "Presence" is one of those meaningless, trite phrases that sportswriters and broadcaster like to gush about.

401355[/snapback]

And yet people say he looked "iffy" or "deer-in-headlights" like that is any more tangible than "presense in the huddle." Your just making my point: if it's good news, it's BS...if it's bad news, then it must be true.

PTR

And yet people say he looked "iffy" or "deer-in-headlights" like that is any more tangible than "presense in the huddle."  Your just making my point:  if it's good news, it's BS...if it's bad news, then it must be true.

PTR

401358[/snapback]

Please find a post by me where I used the term "iffy" or "deer-in-headlights"??

When you look and don't find it, please have the decency to apologize for lumping me in with those who are being overly critical of JP's performance.

What I said about him was that he did some good things and some bad and I presented specific examples of both without using any soupy crap like "presence". He looked off the defense allowing Moulds to get wide open and then hit him in the numbers but later he stared at a reciever right from the snap and it would have resulted in a pick for six the other way if the guy hadn't dropped it. Some good, some bad.

What does everyone think he's the second coming of Elway? How many games does this guy have under his belt. He gotta be better than that stiff #11 from last year.

401563[/snapback]

It's not that we think JP is the second coming of Elway...it's that some people think he's the second coming of Todd Collins!

PTR

I heard Mel Kiper & John Clayton on ESPN radio today

roughly paraphasing, Mel said:

"I saw the Green Bay scrimmage.  JP Losman looked real "iffy" out there.  The Bills have other pieces in place - good D, 3 WRs, RB, but QB is weak link.  JP will make some good throws, but will several bad throws in a row.  you cant have a bad quarter in a game & win consistently in the NFL

Clayton then agreed, stating Bills have other pieces in place, with Defense and Skill positions on O, but there are real questions at QB

Did anyone else hear this?  My quote is not exact since it was several hours ago, but he did say his play was "iffy" and the tone was that he was a weakness.

First I thought Kiper loved JP based on his draft comments.  Second, JP mostly looked good for a first scrimmage (6 completions and 4 fist down throws on 2 drives)  There were a couple of bad throws and no TD passes.

If I had not seen the game and was listening to Kiper today, I would have thought JP stunk it up.

401035[/snapback]

If that is what Kiper said, I think, at this EARLY point, he's dead on. Losman looked like he didn't want to make a mistake instead of just going out and playing football. He should be trying to cut loose, in scrimmage games IMO. You get coached during the week, and if you do it enough, you should be cutting loose and just playing during games. He's not near that point yet.

Doesn't mean he's not gonna be good by any means, but yes he looked "iffy" for sure. Most people should expect that however.

Man, almost all the other parts of this Bills team look pretty damn good, and we have some pretty good depth. I hope it doesn't totally hinge on JP or we could be blowing a chance to win now........because this seems like a strong group of football players, and a pretty stacked an deep roster elesewhere.

I don't put much store in that kind of soupy, abstract observation.  He had "presence"???? He wasn't fazed by screaming fans?  He has played many years now in front of screaming fans, I wouldn't have expected him to be "fazed".  "Presence" is one of those meaningless, trite phrases that sportswriters and broadcaster like to gush about.

I saw one play where he clearly looked the defense right off of Moulds helping him to get wideopen and then he hit him between the numbers.  I also saw him stare at a reciever for 4-5 seconds and then throwing to him anyway.  It would have been a quick six for GB but the defender dropped the ball.  Those are the kind of observations I wish we would hear more of from the writers and broadcasters, not a bunch of garbage about having "presence".  That is the kind of thing you come up with when you want to say something positive but don't have much to work with in terms of what actually happened.

JP looked good here and there and also had a few goofs.  That is, I would think, just about what everyone expected.  No reason to call Kevorkian and no reason to schedule a parade either.

401355[/snapback]

Puff piece. His play was not good, but it was just one scrimmage. I don't mind them padding the story, it would be nice if the media was somewhat supportive of JP to help him along.

Right, but according to PTR, everyone who doesn't think he was great is stupid and didn't really watch the scrimmage.  :blink:

That's pretty much what I said -- he was below average Friday night, but we're not even at the first preseason game.

CW

401283[/snapback]

Fezmid, you are just so negative... :P

They didn't say he was bad, but that he was inconsistent. They said (according to the paraphrase) some good, some bad, but you don't win consistently by playing streaky. You can debate the importance, but you can't deny the fact that he started off 3/3, and then went 3/8 the rest of the way. At the end of the day he was 6/11. I didn't see the game, but those sound like iffy numbers to me.

401072[/snapback]

mostly good with some streaky bad stretches will still be better than the pemament limitations are prior QB forced the O to operate under. :doh:

He was a turnover waiting to happen