Official - let's give Tory Woodbury a shot thread

Of his little time on the field, he looked pretty good (albeit against backups). Haven't seen a lot of comments on the board about him, but the few that have been posted were positive.

Someone has suggested we jettison Matthews and keep Tory as our 3rd QB. If he continues to play good, I think that's a great idea. He looked like a big fast dude (what's his 40 time?)

Any thoughts?

Of his little time on the field, he looked pretty good (albeit against backups).  Haven't seen a lot of comments on the board about him, but the few that have been posted were positive.

Someone has suggested we jettison Matthews and keep Tory as our 3rd QB.  If he continues to play good, I think that's a great idea.  He looked like a big fast dude (what's his 40 time?)

Any thoughts?

400495[/snapback]

I could see Woodbury play a role other than QB just to have hime around. But he definitely looks interesting, very similar in style to JP.

PTR

When Matthews was in there I was thinking I am really glad we have him because JP can really learn a lot just watching him run the plays that JP knows. The same with Holcomb. We resigned Matthews simply to be a mentor and example to JP not because we needed a #3 or expect to get him in a game ever. And I still think that will help.

Woodbury though was interesting, and obviously looked great in the short time he was in. That's a tough call. A #3 QB though really would never be allowed to be used in a game like we may want him because of the quirky rules (if he comes in in the first half without an injury the other guy's are eligible to return and that kind of stuff)

When Matthews was in there I was thinking I am really glad we have him because JP can really learn a lot just watching him run the plays that JP knows. The same with Holcomb. We resigned Matthews simply to be a mentor and example to JP not because we needed a #3 or expect to get him in a game ever. And I still think that will help.

Woodbury though was interesting, and obviously looked great in the short time he was in. That's a tough call. A #3 QB though really would never be allowed to be used in a game like we may want him because of the quirky rules (if he comes in in the first half without an injury the other guy's are eligible to return and that kind of stuff)

400508[/snapback]

Of course Woodbury made the Jets roster a few years ago as a WR. It might be tempting to list him on the roster as a 5th WR and maybe use him at QB for a few select plays during the game ala when Kordell Stewart was Slash and a WR/Special Teamer during the majority of plays.

Of course Woodbury made the Jets roster a few years ago as a WR. It might be tempting to list him on the roster as a 5th WR and maybe use him at QB for a few select plays during the game ala when Kordell Stewart was Slash and a WR/Special Teamer during the majority of plays.

400525[/snapback]

I don't think you can do that. I think only those three designated quarterbacks can line up behind center. You could put him in as a RB but not a QB. Kordell was always a QB that they used to put out at the other positions. But he was their #1 or #2QB in those games.

He showed some nice ball handling, and threw a bullet for that TD.

I would like to see him get more PT in the pre-season games, for sure.

Kelly said:

"I don't think you can do that. I think only those three designated quarterbacks can line up behind center. "

You mean you can't run a play without a "listed QB" on the field?

Any rules-hounds out there who know the answer for certain?

I think I would like to see Woodbury as the #3 qb. Mathews is a decent stopgap. But a guy with upside is always nice to have. I see the Bills trying to sneak Woodbury onto the Practice Squad though.

He showed some nice ball handling, and threw a bullet for that TD.

I would like to see him get more PT in the pre-season games, for sure.

Kelly said:

"I don't think you can do that. I think only those three designated quarterbacks can line up behind center. "

You mean you can't run a play without a "listed QB" on the field? 

Any rules-hounds out there who know the answer for certain?

Tom Tupa was (is?) a punter who is also an emergency QB. I don't see why Wodbury couldn't do the same (i.e. play another position outside of QB during the first 3 quarters). And again Kordell did it at #2 (I think), and if that's the case, make Woodbury #2 to allow him to play elsewhere during the game, but go to Holcomb (who would be #3) if JP went down.

I've been one of the people calling for woodbury at #3, but after tonite, i tihnk we should onyl carry only 2 QB's plus woodbury, and just list him as another position...

As per the rules, i remember in p-burgh, hines ward would line up behind center on 2pt conversions, so i tihnk you can line up anyone there and not hafta worry...

I don't think we should keep Matthews just to have an experienced mentor for Losman. After all, Losman's experienced QB mentor is clearly Wyche, and Kelly Holcomb is still there. Woodbury has also looked strong in practice. Let's give him a shot at #3...He's young, smart, quick, and is mobile.

I was impressed.  Let's get a plan in place.

2005 Practice Squad

2006 NFL Europe

2006 3rd string guy

2007 back up

The guy is just oozing with athletic ability.

400632[/snapback]

I'd say let's throw him on the practice squad as well. Although, I don't pretend to know how the squad works. Everytime I think I know the qualifications, something gets changed.

But I do know that Tory Woodbury played Special Teams and WR for the Jets coming out of college. So I don't know if we could put him on the squad.

I'd say let's throw him on the practice squad as well. Although, I don't pretend to know how the squad works. Everytime I think I know the qualifications, something gets changed.

But I do know that Tory Woodbury played Special Teams and WR for the Jets coming out of college. So I don't know if we could put him on the squad.

400786[/snapback]

He has been in the NFL for 4 years either on active roster or practice squad. He has been active for 12 games as a Jet and none as a Bronco. Being in the NFL 4 years he can not go onto practice squad anymore.

Unless he is a real late bloomer I think this is his last chance.

BTW I think the last time he participated in a game it was a reception (he had one) during a loss to Buffalo. He might have played some mop up time on special teams other games.

Good idea to develop a player rather than having Mathews be #3 but I do not think he is the one.