Buffalo Sabres Free Agency Thread

I can't believe we are griping about $125k for Mckee. Just give it to him already. Gheessh.

Campbell is horrible. We are doomed with him back there!

Sopel woulda been nice. All they gave was a draft pick. What the hell are we doing? Wake UP DARCY!!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget we let Brad Brown walk too. Doug Janik is the only other guy in Roch that could be a 7th d-man on an NHL team. Unfortunately for the Sabres, Fitzpatrick, Tallinder, Campbell and Jillson are all 7th defensemen as well. So I guess we throw out Kalinin and McKee till they puke, then give em a 30 second break. That's this year, McKee will definitely bolt next year after Cheapskate Darcy found that $125K loophole.

397492[/snapback]

Jillson and Tallinder I'd give a little more credit, though I think you're right-on with your assessment on the other three.

I do wish the team would step up and treat the gamers like McKee a little better. He's the kind of guy who should be a Sabre for life.

Jay McKee, Dimitri Kalinin, Rory Fitzpatrick, Henrik Tallinder, Brian Campbell, Jeff Jillson.

I'd ok with these guys, but there's no one of interest to be the 7th or 8th.

We definitely need to sign one or two guys.

397467[/snapback]

Fitzpatrick is slightly below average in his own end, Campbell and Jillson are completely unacceptable. Therefore IMO, the Sabres have 3 defensemen who can take care of business in their own end. That's not going to cut it. Let's see what Darcy has up his sleeve.

I am pretty confident that is not the case. However, there are some bonuses some guys can earn from the league, like Rookie of the year, goals in your first contract etc that do not hit your cap.

However, like I said before, you cannot even restructure a guy and take a lesser cap hit

397353[/snapback]

Where are you getting your information on the CBA? I'm interested in some of the actual formulas being used - particularly how the Player's Escrow will work. I believe all of the players will be putting about 15% of their salaries into an escrow in case the salaries end up exceeding 54% of revenues, in which case the money will go back to the teams. Do you know if this is league wide or per team? I think that some of the new contracts the players are signing are too high because the agents are factoring a 15% reduction based on missed revenue targets.

It also means that the $39 million cap may actually end up costing the owners less than $34 million in actual salaries.

These are mostly rumors but...

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

LEETCH signs with Boston

Modano rejects offer from Dallas (may be headed to Boston..or minnesota) Nooo! No BOS!!

Satan to Montreal NOOOO!!!

Forsberg to Vancouver..trade Sopel to NYI to clear cap space

Pallfy could soon be an Islander again

Berard to Columbus (DONE and Confirmed)

Cujo to Pittsburgh

Burke to Pitt

STILL NOTHING FROM DARCY & CO. The Sabres division foes are racking up guys like crazy. This is gonna be one hell of a tough division. Plus NYI is on a terror too. C'mon Sabres, get in the fight!! :blink:

STILL NOTHING FROM DARCY & CO. The Sabres division foes are racking up guys like crazy. This is gonna be one hell of a tough division. Plus NYI is on a terror too. C'mon Sabres, get in the fight!! :blink:

397562[/snapback]

Yeah, Toronto and Ottawa have really been going crazy lately. :blink:

2/5th of the division has made a couple of moves and all of a sudden everyone in the Northeast is "racking up guys like crazy" except Buffalo?

Well Im sure they are in the hunt for guys. What are the Sabres doing? I haven't heard a peep. Do you like the thoughts of Campbell and Fitzpatrick and J Patrick?? I sure as hell don't. TOR and OTT will get someone before we strike a deal. Gheesshh!

Yeah, Toronto and Ottawa have really been going crazy lately. :blink:

2/5th of the division has made a couple of moves and all of a sudden everyone in the Northeast is "racking up guys like crazy" except Buffalo?

397594[/snapback]

Face it, Buffalo is on the 25 year plan, will always have "potential" and go NOWHERE. Period.

Lots more news. Seems like the Sabres are in a totally different league than the NHL with all the deals going down and the Sabres sitting on their behinds.

Actual deals-

Miroslav Satan signs with NY Islanders

NY Islanders- Mike Peca traded to Edmonton for Mike York & a draft pick

Vancouver- Brent Sopel (D) traded to NY Islanders for a draft pick

Brian Leetch (D)- one year deal w/ Boston

Bryan Berard (D)- signs with Columbus

Mathieu Dandenault (D)- signs with Montreal

Mathieu Schneider (D)- signs with Detroit

Martin Rucinsky- signs with NY Rangers

Martin Skoula (D)- signs with Dallas

I hear Jason Woolley and Richard Smhelik are available- cheap.

Rumors- Modano rejected Stars offer. Still trying to squeeze every dime out of someone (Boston?)

First it was Forsberg to Vancouver, than it was Forsberg to Philadelphia. Stay Tuned. Apparently, Jeremy Roenick was traded to Los Angeles to make room for Forsberg

Detroit is taking a pounding as is Colorado because they are already close to the cap limit.