Think You're Down ? Try Being There

Mark VI

Guest BackInDaDay
Thank you!  Give this man a harrrumph!

I cannot believe all this bullshiet about this team being populated with losers and having no heart.

The effort was definitely there throughout this game.

The offense will improve.  For crissake, this is a brand new offense with a brand new OC and a brand new philosophy.  I am as unhappy as anyone over the mistakes by the offense and the seeming inability to recover from them.  But like it or not, this is one of the hazards of a new HC and a new offensive coaching staff.  It is going to take some time for Clements to get comfortable with what this offense can do in what situations.  It is going to take Bledsoe time to know which options are likely going to be there under what circumstances.  It is going to take time for the individuals on the offense to become comfortable with what these plays look like against unpredictable live defenses as opposed to our defense.  It will take some on-field trial and error to work out kinks and adjust blocking when a defense does something unpredictable. etc. etc.

The problem with any offense is to find a rhythm of plays that are complementary and are particularly effective against defensive alignments.  In the second half, there was a definite opening up of the offense as time went on, but I still felt they lacked confidence when something went wrong from which they had to recover, such as Villarial's holding penalty.

Drew has clearly bought into this philosophy and offense, even though he is still not totally comfortable in it.  But I find it incredibly encouraging that he is getting that damn ball out of there quickly.  When the plays and their options become more second nature to him and the receivers, look out!

28274[/snapback]

Hey BuffaloBob, is it too soon to circle the wagons? :blink:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes you feel better to hear that your team has no heart?  <_<

Or do you presume his opinion to be the more credible one because his pessimism echos your own?

28222[/snapback]

Honestly, it is because BADOL always seems to have a clear perspective of what's going on. Of course, you can love or hate the "end of the world" posts, the "Insert Name Here sucks" posts or even the "Fire so-and-so" posts. But after an especially tough-to-stomach loss like this, BADOL put it in perspective and helped me explain what really is going on.

I don't really care if we have no heart today. I care instead to understand the problem and then watch to see if the staff is working toward finding a solution to the problem. That makes being a fan much more fun and entertaining.

This loss had NOTHING to do with Bledsoe. I am not a big DB fan (nor a DB basher) but I cannot understand how anyone who watched this game could put the blame for the loss on him!

'Splain it to me, Lucy!

28152[/snapback]

Rockpile---As I stated in a later post...a QBs job is to show leadership/savvy and to will his team into the endzone.Sure---DB didn't screw up today---but its ultimately HIS responsiblity as QB to get that ball into the endzone from the red zone and to do what it takes...to make the big plays.DB has NO ability to bring a team back or to make big plays...How many games do you need to see to know this???Drewis a passive QB .He is not an attcker..not a winner.

Thank you!  Give this man a harrrumph!

I cannot believe all this bullshiet about this team being populated with losers and having no heart.

The effort was definitely there throughout this game.

The offense will improve.  For crissake, this is a brand new offense with a brand new OC and a brand new philosophy.  I am as unhappy as anyone over the mistakes by the offense and the seeming inability to recover from them.  But like it or not, this is one of the hazards of a new HC and a new offensive coaching staff.  It is going to take some time for Clements to get comfortable with what this offense can do in what situations.  It is going to take Bledsoe time to know which options are likely going to be there under what circumstances.  It is going to take time for the individuals on the offense to become comfortable with what these plays look like against unpredictable live defenses as opposed to our defense.  It will take some on-field trial and error to work out kinks and adjust blocking when a defense does something unpredictable. etc. etc.

The problem with any offense is to find a rhythm of plays that are complementary and are particularly effective against defensive alignments.  In the second half, there was a definite opening up of the offense as time went on, but I still felt they lacked confidence when something went wrong from which they had to recover, such as Villarial's holding penalty.

Drew has clearly bought into this philosophy and offense, even though he is still not totally comfortable in it.  But I find it incredibly encouraging that he is getting that damn ball out of there quickly.  When the plays and their options become more second nature to him and the receivers, look out!

28274[/snapback]

I think your optimism should be commended, and admittedly it's tough to argue with your logic...After all, it is only Week #1...

But I also think that even though the panic may be illogical, after last Season it's definitely understandable from a group of Fans who are just waiting around for the next bad thing to happen...

It's strange because after Lindell missed that FG, I thought "here we go again," and immediately the idea that the Bills may figure out a way to lose this Game entered my mind. Even though at that point they were obviously dominating.

The Offense did show signs of improvement, but the net result was still only 10 points at Home...So I think for many, it's not easy to see the silver lining just yet...

The fact of the matter is quite simple. Either the Bills will improve on Offense this year and the optimists will be correct, or they continue to struggle and the pessimists are right. But as of now, most of players from last years debacle on the Offensive side are still on the Field. And even though it seems that almost everyone agrees the Coaching has improved, there is still the possibility that the overall talent on this Offense is just plain lacking. And I think deep down where no one wants to go, that is the real fear here. The fear that the Players are just not good enough (at least a lot of them). And based on Last years performance, added to the Game today (And lets not forget the Starting O scored 1 TD in Pre Season, I know... it's just Pre Season, but that did not exactly build confidence in the masses), it's impossible to drown out the fear of failure with this bunch just yet...

In summary, this looked too much like last year, and some Bills Fans are just preparing themselves for the worst. Premature...yes. Understandable...I think most certainly...

But as I always say in Posts like these, I hope you are 100% correct... B)

KOK, I realize my viewpoint is optimistic and it may be that they do struggle all year on offense (although I simply do not believe that is true).

But to make the statement that this team is made up of a bunch of losers with no heart is just too much for me to ignore. THey may have struggled on offense, and the defense may have run out of magic by that last drive, but it wasn't for lack of effort or a winning desire.

I do believe that this offense will improve, and I also beleive that any time you install a new offense, that it is going to take beyond 3.5 quarters over four preseason games to get things wired completely between QB, O-line, skill positions and play-calling from the OC.

The key will be how quickly this coaching staff can get itself and this team confident and comfortable in the offense. I mean, crap like Travis setting up on the wrong side for the screen really hurts a team's rhythm.

The key will be getting this offense to a point that it can overcome the occasional penalty or loss of yardage that will happen and still keep drives going. Also, an understanding of the scheme to the point of taking advantage of the defense. I think we started to see that some in the second half.

My observation is that this team has no heart.  The stars of the team are losers who come up small when it matters.  I repeat what I said a month ago, the team is not fun to watch and I would be happy if they could just blow it up and start from scratch because there isn't a player on the team who I would be upset to see leave.  Fans get attached to players who come up big when it matters, and guys like Moulds, Spikes, Clements and Henry repeatedly come up small in the clutch.  Everyone keeps trying to project victories upon this team based on talent and matchups, etc., but the reality is that they are losers who don't know how to win.  What's worse, they are established veteran losers, not young kids.    Gonna' be another long year of bewildered fans wondering how a fairly talented team can be so bad.

28046[/snapback]

You are entitled to your opinion but I dont agree.....this is a team that has gone through a unfortunate set of years with lousy coaching that had a flop of a draft the year before they came in.....when you have an entire draft as a bust....it has lingering effects on the team.....Tom D. is to blame for that....

But....I think we do have the talent....and I like MM's philosophy......I think this season is far from over......

KOK, I realize my viewpoint is optimistic and it may be that they do struggle all year on offense (although I simply do not believe that is true).

But to make the statement that this team is made up of a bunch of losers with no heart is just too much for me to ignore.  THey may have struggled on offense, and the defense may have run out of magic by that last drive, but it wasn't for lack of effort or a winning desire.

I do believe that this offense will improve, and I also beleive that any time you install a new offense, that it is going to take beyond 3.5 quarters over four preseason games to get things wired completely between QB, O-line, skill positions and play-calling from the OC.

The key will be how quickly this coaching staff can get itself and this team confident and comfortable in the offense.  I mean, crap like Travis setting up on the wrong side for the screen really hurts a team's rhythm.

The key will be getting this offense to a point that it can overcome the occasional penalty or loss of yardage that will happen and still keep drives going.  Also, an understanding of the scheme to the point of taking advantage of the defense.  I think we started to see that some in the second half.

28379[/snapback]

I hear you on the heart issue...I think generalizations like that are a little crazy...I do believe like Mark said at the beginning of this post that there may be a Leadership void, not that the Team does not have Leaders, but rather that Leaders are just not as effective as the Bills Captains we have seen in the past...But I don't question their heart, I know they want to win, I know they are busting their asses, it just has yet to come together...

I'm still hung over from my distain for what happened in 2004. I think MM will prove to be a great Coach, I really do...I'm just REALLY sick of losing, and the Bills are now 9-16 in their last 27 Games...Ugh... <_<

Guest Guest_usmc-mp_*

Looks like Gregg Williams is still the coach of the Bills. I don't see much difference from last year. If anyone is next in line to get fired, it should be Donohoe. First reason, getting a kicker who has only played in a Dome in his NFL career, with no experience in inclement weather was a very poor decision. Keeping that same kicker, is another poor decision. Wide Receiver, so far, another poor decision, drafting a rookie, instead of going for a veteran wide receiver who could help the team immediately, not 2 or 3 years from now. What impact did Lee Evans have in the pre-season, or even week 1....absolutely none!! Josh Reed over Bobby Shaw in the depth charts just blows my mind. Shaw proved last season that he is a much better receiver than Reed, and doesn't drop clutch passes like Reed. Hiring a rookie coach over an experienced coach, another bad decision. With the team the Bills have now, they have a win now team, history has shown us it takes 2 to 3 seasons for players and coaches to be successful under rookie head coaches. I can only hope that the Bills learn some valuable lessons from this game, and that they can make this season a decent one.

My observation is that this team has no heart.  The stars of the team are losers who come up small when it matters.  I repeat what I said a month ago, the team is not fun to watch and I would be happy if they could just blow it up and start from scratch because there isn't a player on the team who I would be upset to see leave.  Fans get attached to players who come up big when it matters, and guys like Moulds, Spikes, Clements and Henry repeatedly come up small in the clutch.  Everyone keeps trying to project victories upon this team based on talent and matchups, etc., but the reality is that they are losers who don't know how to win.  What's worse, they are established veteran losers, not young kids.    Gonna' be another long year of bewildered fans wondering how a fairly talented team can be so bad.

28046[/snapback]

Funny how you, Bob, myself and others see the same thing. <_< We are still there every week, every year, cheering them on. People think we're just smarting in defeat but we've been calmly talking about this for a while. You can just see it in this team. The makeup of bonafide leaders is lacking. We watch the bench and no one is going around firing up the rest of the team. This doesn't seem to bother them. They'll win their share but not nearly enough. The core players who are making the big $$ are small time in the clutch.

The purest definition of Mediocrity.

I'm really not sure which game you watched Rockpile or where your seats were, but the effort was there in spades. To see that commitment to the run against the best Run D in the league was a thing of utter beauty. It's a different offensive philosophy than some have seen here in a LONG time. Maybe that's it. I don't know. If you weren't impressed you're probably in for a long boring season. Me, I've been waiting to see this approach to our offense for a long time.  The D was all over the field except for 2 prayers and that is a lack of effort? Moulds looks like he's back in ProBowl form but the fumbles he had were indeed inexcuseable. I agree on the TE hands comments :-).

28159[/snapback]

Cheap shot? ;) Same game, good angle. B)

I was very impressed with the D for 58 minutes.

I loved 32 runs for 106 yards by Henry and McGahee. BUT - commitment to the run? 3rd and goal from the Jagwads 1 yard line? Bledsoe goes back to pass and get sacked. WTF? Great call! Where were the two TEs, RB, FB?? :doh:

They lacked the heart in the last few minutes to put the game away. Three 4th down conversions, the last to win the game.

I NEVER giveup on the Bills, but this game pissed me off! <_<

Cheap shot?  ;)  Same game, good angle.  B)

I loved 32 runs for 106 yards by Henry and McGahee. BUT - commitment to the run? 3rd and goal from the Jagwads 1 yard line? Bledsoe goes back to pass and get sacked. WTF? Great call!  Where were the two TEs, RB, FB?? :doh:

They lacked the heart in the last few minutes to put the game away. Three 4th down conversions, the last to win the game.

I NEVER giveup on the Bills, but this game pissed me off!  <_<

28481[/snapback]

Well put Rock.....it pissed me off also.

Im NOT one to argue with folks like Mark and Tom who have watching this team for MUCH longer than I have and were there (I wasnt).

BUT IMHO, YOU GUYS ARE WAY OFF HERE.

What was seen on TV was MUCH different. What I saw on my TV was a team that played hard. The playcalling was solid and the team gave effort. Mularkey and his new staff seemed to be in control. It got sloppy in parts and obviously, the defense on the last drive was not good. But the team WAS playing...the effort WAS there....at least where I was watching from, 300 miles away.  <_<

And frankly. Im a little sick and tired of the Chuck Dickerson-type "The Bills suck, fire everyone, the NFL is against us, bench the QB for ANYONE else, I wish it was 1991!!!" posts that seem to follow every_single_loss this team endures from a myriad of folks. And GUARANTEED that if that last play wound up as an incompletion, this thread wouldnt even exist.

Just my 2 cents.

28244[/snapback]

Rich, argue with me any time. There are many fans MUCH younger than me who can analyze the game better than I ever will.

Just don't ever lump me in with the Dickerson types! I have NEVER been with that crowd. ;)

Looks like Gregg Williams is still the coach of the Bills. I don't see much difference from last year. If anyone is next in line to get fired, it should be Donohoe. First reason, getting a kicker who has only played in a Dome in his NFL career, with no experience in inclement weather was a very poor decision. Keeping that same kicker, is another poor decision. Wide Receiver, so far, another poor decision, drafting a rookie, instead of going for a veteran wide receiver who could help the team immediately, not 2 or 3 years from now. What impact did Lee Evans have in the pre-season, or even week 1....absolutely none!! Josh Reed over Bobby Shaw in the depth charts just blows my mind. Shaw proved last season that he is a much better receiver than Reed, and doesn't drop clutch passes like Reed. Hiring a rookie coach over an experienced coach, another bad decision. With the team the Bills have now, they have a win now team, history has shown us it takes 2 to 3 seasons for players and coaches to be successful under rookie head coaches. I can only hope that the Bills learn some valuable lessons from this game, and that they can make this season a decent one.

28438[/snapback]

Lee Evans recovered Campbell's fumble. That was a positive impact. Lighten up.

Cheap shot?  ;)  Same game, good angle.  B)

I loved 32 runs for 106 yards by Henry and McGahee. BUT - commitment to the run? 3rd and goal from the Jagwads 1 yard line? Bledsoe goes back to pass and get sacked. WTF? Great call!  Where were the two TEs, RB, FB?? :doh:

I NEVER giveup on the Bills, but this game pissed me off!  <_<

28481[/snapback]

Drew had Shelton wide open. He could've lobbed a ball over the defenders to Shelton for the clinching TD.