Bush's recess appointment

The dems are being a-holes, so he had to do something. It is all totally legal.

Bolton is what is needed in the UN. We need someone to go in there and kick ass and clean house. More documents are turning up which show Annan is hip deep in the oil-for -food scandal.

Bolton is what is needed in the UN. We need someone to go in there and kick ass and clean house. More documents are turning up which show Annan is hip deep in the oil-for -food scandal.

393860[/snapback]

For once, you and I are in complete agreement :P:blink:

It's been speculated all along that Bush would do this as he's done before, no surprise. And yes, Bolton is JUST what the UN needs. Turns out he lied on the questionnaire he completed in conjunction with his nomination. So if Anan is a lying scoundrel, well, then he'll be quite happy with Bolton since they're cut from the same cloth.

393860[/snapback]

Regardless, as the article states it could a temporary appointment cos when congress comes back he will be under questioning.

Also, the Dems arents the only ones against this nomination.

It's a tradition! :P

"The one real power Republicans have over the Democrats in this fight is the recess-appointment power. It's the only threat that could force Senate Dems to budge. The Founders created the recess-appointment power to assure that the judiciary could continue to function if circumstances or political factions prevented the Advise and Consent process from functioning effectively. Recess appointments have an impeccable historical pedigree; beginning with George Washington, presidents have made recess appointments to Article III courts. Since the Founding there have been more than 300 recess appointments of judges. President Eisenhower and Kennedy made 53 such appointments between them. Lest we forget, both Earl Warren and William Brennan were recess appointments to the Supreme Court by President Eisenhower (later confirmed by the Senate)."

http://nationalreview.com/comment/comment-barnett042903.asp

It's a tradition! :P

"The one real power Republicans have over the Democrats in this fight is the recess-appointment power. It's the only threat that could force Senate Dems to budge. The Founders created the recess-appointment power to assure that the judiciary could continue to function if circumstances or political factions prevented the Advise and Consent process from functioning effectively. Recess appointments have an impeccable historical pedigree; beginning with George Washington, presidents have made recess appointments to Article III courts. Since the Founding there have been more than 300 recess appointments of judges. President Eisenhower and Kennedy made 53 such appointments between them. Lest we forget, both Earl Warren and William Brennan were recess appointments to the Supreme Court by President Eisenhower (later confirmed by the Senate)."

http://nationalreview.com/comment/comment-barnett042903.asp

393970[/snapback]

I disagree with the intended use of the power to make recess appointments but certainly, it is nothing new. We did go quite awhile without such appointments when it came to certain judicial positions but as you point out, it is not exactly a bolt from the blue.

The congress is not always in session. Their recesses are quite long and used to be a lot longer. The framers recognized that the President might need to fill a post that opened up during a recess. I think that was the original intent of the power, not as a way to dodge the advise and consent requirement. For an excellent academic analysis of the history and role of recess appointments see:

Library of Congress Report on Recess Appointments of Federal Judges

And of course the guy went to the Senate without comment and since he couldn't even get a hearing on the floor before his appointment ... that's a real endorsement which will enhance his stature in his new job.

And of course the guy went to the Senate without comment and since he couldn't even get a hearing on the floor before his appointment ... that's a real endorsement which will enhance his stature in his new job.

394078[/snapback]

Well whimper all you want, the fact of the matter is we now have an ass kicker in the UN and perhaps now we can get some of that waste hole cleaned up. We are paying the lions share for this mess, we should have a lion minding the store.

My bet is Bolton will not stand by and allow young girls in Africa to be raped by the losers that kofi has been looking the other way on.

I'm glad he did it. From what I've read about Bolton, he's a major a-hole. But so are the democrats who blocked the vote. If there was a vote, he would have been appointed. I can understand a fillibuster if it was close and the dems thought they could convince a few more to vote against Bolton so he wouldn't be approved, but that wasn't going to happen. In this case, it was the dems being idiot morons. Good for the President on this one.

I'll admit I've said some things about W in the past about being an idiot, but I think this move changes my opinion a bit.  This is one crafty move, its either his idea or he's got some lawyers reading the finer points of the constitution!

Bush to Appoint Bolton on Recess

393847[/snapback]