Yet another small bump in the road of refi

Got a call back from Citibank today......

Basically my credit is pretty good.....high 600s across the board on my FICO

BUT

I have a little niece (who I absolutely cannot stand) who about a year ago somehow got my wife to co sign so she could get phones through Singular Wireless......I didnt even know about it till about 5 months ago

I found out when a collections lawyer calls the house and said that my niece (and since she was responding WE because my wife cosigned) owed something like $1000 to singular because the niece didnt pay the bill.....

Oh was I pissed.....basically....the lawyer was saying that it would hurt my credit and we would have to court if we didn't pay....and then offered us a deal where we only had to pay a portion of it and they woud wipe it off the books...

Sooooo......what does the refinance guy tell me today....that they ran our credit jointly and I have a *&& COLLECTION on my wifes credit.

Is there anything I can do....rather then get my shotgun and make one less family member?

Being a credit counselor by trade, I'll be happy to field this one for you.

Pursuant to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, technically, your wife did co-sign the debt so the collection lawyer was justified in pursuing repayment from your wife. Cingular also had the right to report the debt as in ** collections ** status.

However, cellphone companies deal with this all the time. If you and your wife paid or settled the bill immediately upon first contact by the collections department or collection agency, they will most likely remove the trade line (the collection reporting) from her report.

None of this should hold you back from a refinance. Credit scores still rule when it comes to credit decisions. All you will likely need to do is write a letter to the mortgage company telling them why the collection item showed up on your wifes credit and provide proof that it was paid or settled. Basically, your credit score will dictate the price of the loan (interest rate.) They just want to make sure that all collection items are no longer hanging over your head.

Your wife should also dispute the collection item with the credit reporting agency that reported it. She can dispute the reporting status by stating it was her neice's debt. Most cellphone and or collection agencies will not argue removal of the negative item if it's paid.

Hope that helps...

Shovel

I am a Finance Mgr at a local car dealership and deal with credit reports on a daily basis. Shoveldog is correct in saying that cingular had a right to place the account in collection status. Most people dont realize that even as a co-signer you are responsible for the debt as if it was your own.

I would contact cingular and here are phone numbers for two of the major credit reporting agencies:

equifax- 1800-685-1111

exprian- 1888-397-3742

Hope this helps ya!

...or you could get out that trusty shotgun.

BTW, where does the road to refi lead to?

393706[/snapback]

Yeah the shotgun right now feels like a real option...... :P

I am doing a refi because I have been doing my research and finding out

a. My loan is too expensive for me month to month

b. They didn't explain everything to me the way it was actually going to work (I am in a SMARTLOAN progam)....

c. I am paying 8.5 percent interest when I could be paying 5.875

d. I have been reading up on primerica and citicorop and these people are just not straightshooters......

We have gotten ripped off on both our mortgage and our life insurance.....the life insurance thing is best left for another day.....

I am a Finance Mgr at a local car dealership and deal with credit reports on a daily basis. Shoveldog is correct in saying that cingular had a right to place the account in collection status. Most people dont realize that even as a co-signer you are responsible for the debt as if it was your own.

I would contact cingular and here are phone numbers for two of the major credit reporting agencies:

equifax-  1800-685-1111

exprian-  1888-397-3742

Hope this helps ya!

393732[/snapback]

NA, dont listen to you, you know nothing. BTW, welcome aboard :P

Yeah the shotgun right now feels like a real option...... :P

I am doing a refi because I have been doing my research and finding out

a.  My loan is too expensive for me month to month

b.  They didn't explain everything to me the way it was actually going to work (I am in a SMARTLOAN progam)....

c.  I am paying 8.5 percent interest when I could be paying 5.875

d.  I have been reading up on primerica and citicorop and these people are just not straightshooters......

We have gotten ripped off on both our mortgage and our life insurance.....the life insurance thing is best left for another day.....

393789[/snapback]

Thats why you go with Bank of America. We are refinancing our existing cutomers at 5.875 today with 0 cost

Is there anything I can do....rather then get my shotgun and make one less family member?

393689[/snapback]

No, there is no other option. This is what you must do.. :P:blink: