AFC East Predictions

todd

A last place schedule will help, but Feely isn't the answer, and Ronnie Brown needs to prove himself too. But they are not a 4-12 team. and I'd be surprised to see them out of many games early.

389348[/snapback]

The Dolphins are not benefiting from a last place schedule. In fact they have the toughest schedule in the league if you look at their opponents combined win loss from last year.

The real problem with the Dolphins is their OL and QB. AJ is pathetic. I hold Bledsoe in high regard compared to Feeley. I have never seen someone throw so many interceptions for TDs. I was amazed when Saban didn't find a better QB than Gus.

I do agree with you that even a last place team can give you fits though. NE lost home field hopes when they lost to Miami. I also think the Dolphins will improve over last year. I think 6.5 wins is about right for an over/under.

I am taking the under. :)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the time comes that the Pats lose ten games in a season...and that day WILL come...I'm almost going to miss these witty little Patsy troll comments. Because as we all know, once your team starts losing games, bandwagon dudes like yourself will disappear faster than a 20-game Red Sox lead.

388709[/snapback]

Not too mention that punctuation..... :)

The real problem with the Dolphins is their OL and QB.  AJ is pathetic.  I hold Bledsoe in high regard compared to Feeley.  I have never seen someone throw so many interceptions for TDs.  I was amazed when Saban didn't find a better QB than Gus.

389591[/snapback]

I think we have the exact same issue....from the point that Lossman is an

unknown....and the Left side of our line is in shambles....Untill those two units

start picking themselves up (Lossman being better than Drew and

the Left side dominates)

Patriots: 13-3

Jets: 11-5

Bills: 7-9

Dolphins: 5-11

387135[/snapback]

If I was a Pats fan I justify the Pats record. I think it is a bit optimistic.

I'm interested in why you think the Bills will be 7-9. That's 2 games below last year after cutting a QB you categorized as worthless. Why the dropoff? Perhaps because you're trolling?

Jets 11-5

Pats 9-7

Bills 9-7

Dolphins 4-12

Right now, I think the Jets will probably end up winning the division. They don't have a roster of 22 all-pro starters, but its a solid group that is certainly capable of a strong showing, especially with a healthy Pennington. The hideous schedule as well as the losses of both coordinators will hurt the Pats, but if they can make the playoffs, they'll be a major threat in spite of a subpar regular season record. The Dolphins... are floating belly up at the top of the fish bowl.

As for the Bills, if the lightbulb were to go on and Losman 'gets it' early this year, there is more than enough talent on the roster for them to be in the hunt for a division championship. That said, I expect it to take him about half the season to get settled in to the point where he becomes something resembling reliable. Much like the Pats, if they can find a way to make the playoffs, they'll probably be a serious threat as the weak point of the team, Losman, should be much more comfortable in the offense by this time. Still, I think '06 is probably the year they really begin to make some noise.

I'm interested in why you think the Bills will be 7-9.  That's 2 games below last year after cutting a QB you categorized as worthless.  Why the dropoff?  Perhaps because you're trolling?

389888[/snapback]

I don't see why pessimism about the Bills' record this coming year equates to trolling.

I actually think that the whole division is in for a little downturn because they have tougher matchups (NFC South instead of West, AFC West instead of North). No Clevelands or San Fran, and they were probably the two worst teams in the NFL last year. I doubt the Pats and Bills will both sweep the NFC this year.

Losman is a complete unknown quantity, so I think that I would expect lots of people to have varying opinions on where the Bills end up this year. I also think that while the statistics for the last two years have been sensational, the defense really opened itself up for questioning with that performance in week 17 last year, and has a few key players that might be hitting the autumn of their careers. The kicker still is in place and he's still a guy that seems more likely to cost you a game than win you one. On the other hand, the extraordinary 2004 special teams performance tends to show a team that has a deep roster. The Bills are a very tough team to evaluate.

I think the Bills fundamentally have done all the right things with their offense in the offseason ditching those two overrated big name players, but the fruits may not be borne this season. Losman's a virtual rookie with a 180 degree style change from Drew - even though I expect the Bills will be way better off, it won't be instantaneous.

Optimistic? I'm picking them to lose 3 games when they've lost 4 over the past 2 years.

I'm interested in why you think the Bills will be 7-9.  That's 2 games below last year after cutting a QB you categorized as worthless.  Why the dropoff?  Perhaps because you're trolling?

Bledsoe is worthless, and I think Losman will be a better overall pro, but there's no denying that most QBs have a learning curve.

I also think your OL is a pretty significant question mark, and could hurt McGahee, who was middle-of-the-road last year (despite the hype). Also, no proven backup RB behind a guy who's got a reconstructed knee is a tad shaky.

And keep in mind that last year's 9-7 was built upon an intensely easy stretch of schedule.

But, With Weis gone, who’s going to give Brady the motivational “as long as you don’t blow it, we’re going to win” speech before every game?

But, with no Brady at Notre Dame, who's going to bail Weis out when he slips into one of his seemingly endless spells of asinine playcalling?

Optimistic?  I'm picking them to lose 3 games when they've lost 4 over the past 2 years.

Bledsoe is worthless, and I think Losman will be a better overall pro, but there's no denying that most QBs have a learning curve.

I also think your OL is a pretty significant question mark, and could hurt McGahee, who was middle-of-the-road last year (despite the hype).  Also, no proven backup RB behind a guy who's got a reconstructed knee is a tad shaky.

And keep in mind that last year's 9-7 was built upon an intensely easy stretch of schedule.

390043[/snapback]

I'll give you the schedule (I see it will have no impact on the beloved Pats) but the rest is weak.

In order to be less than Bledsoe, Losman would have to be less than worthless.He has an arm, and can move. By all reports he also has some fire and is pretty smart. He will certainly make mistakes, but will also make plays. Bledsoe mostly made mistakes.

In order to buy your assessment of the line (compared to last year's) I would have to assign Jennings all pro status.

McGahee's grades indicate that you did not watch the Bills play much.

I also think your OL is a pretty significant question mark, and could hurt McGahee, who was middle-of-the-road last year (despite the hype).  Also, no proven backup RB behind a guy who's got a reconstructed knee is a tad shaky.

390043[/snapback]

You are correct re: the O-line, but McGahee was anything but middle of the road last season. As the season wore on, he regained more of his speed and was able to beat defenders that had clear angles on him. He rarely fumbled and excelled both outside and inside. His nose for the endzone was nearly unmatched league wide if you factor in the 12 games he started. He certainly was not at where his potential leads him, but showed consistency along with progress. The only game he failed to acheive an important influence on was the roadie vs. you guys. Also , the so called "easy" stretch of the schedule looked a lot harder going into the season. You really never know quite what you're gonna get year to year like you used to in this league.

390043[/snapback]

If JP hadn't been injured, he could have been wearing his helmet backwards in the first 4 games and done as well as Bledsoe. If the Bills go 2 - 2 in the first 4 games this year we will do no worse than last year's record and perhaps be ahead in the game.

Hollywood Donahoe,Jul 25 2005, 11:05 PM]Optimistic?  I'm picking them to lose 3 games when they've lost 4 over the past 2 years.

:lol: I don't think that anyone but me gets your sense of humor.

Regardless of the learning curve...JP is a HUGE upgrade over Bledsoe.

Well I cannot argue certain points about the OL, namely the LT.  With the mobility of JP we will probably have more looks downfield.  That will be traded off with the likelyhood of more sacks.  As for Mcgahee, I'll take him over any Pats player for this year. The kid does have something special, especially his stiff arm!

Lets not forget that the Pats have an equally tough schedule compared to last year yet you see no drop off in their wins, even with the loss of both your OC and DC. :rolleyes:

390043[/snapback]

You are correct re: the O-line, but McGahee was anything but middle of the road last season. As the season wore on, he regained more of his speed and was able to beat defenders that had clear angles on him. He rarely fumbled and excelled both outside and inside. His nose for the endzone was nearly unmatched league wide if you factor in the 12 games he started. He certainly was not at his potential leads him, but showed consistency along with progress. The only game he failed to acheive an important influence on was the roadie vs. you guys. Also , the so called "easy" stretch of the schedule looked a lot harder going into the season. You really never know quite what you're gonna get year to year like you used to in this league.

390055[/snapback]

I agree, for the most part, on your take on McGahee. I was one of the critics of the drafting of McGahee, but he has shown that it wasn't a wasted pick. He definitely runs hard, is getting his quickness back (more so than his speed), and does not hesitate to do what is needed, whether it's a run to the outside, banging it in between the tackles, or picking up the blitz (needs work, but he's much better than Travis was @ this). He's a work in progress still, but you have to be enthusiastic @ how he performed last year, when all the pressure of coming back from the injury AND replacing Travis was on him.

I agree, for the most part, on your take on McGahee.  I was one of the critics of the drafting of McGahee, but he has shown that it wasn't a wasted pick.  He definitely runs hard, is getting his quickness back (more so than his speed), and does not hesitate to do what is needed, whether it's a run to the outside, banging it in between the tackles, or picking up the blitz (needs work, but he's much better than Travis was @ this).  He's a work in progress still, but you have to be enthusiastic @ how he performed last year, when all the pressure of coming back from the injury AND replacing Travis was on him.

390062[/snapback]

Pressure seems to be somewhat "old hat" to him if you will, and I think I like it :rolleyes:

Buffalo Bills - 10-6

I think we've got a team around Losman that's set to win games. Our OL, while not as skilled as I would like, is really big. In Buffalo, power running game is the shiznit and blowing people off the line is what needs to happen. The key to this year is not Losman, it's McGahee. Anyway, if Mularkey and Clements made a Pro Bowler out of Kordell Sthewart, Losman will do fine.

Jets - 7-9

They are switching up their offense this year. It's gonna be a problem. Herm Edwards is a mediocre coach who talks too much. Curtis Martin is great, but he's a year older and it's starting to catch up to them. Lamont Jordan ain't there no more.

New England 8-8

I know, Belechek is a great coach, but I think NE will have problems this year. They've lost some key players, not to mention his OC and DC. His coordinators were instrumental in implementing his plans. I don't think Belecheck will shift his organization into a new format in time to win 10 games. They'll lose some tough games, but win some tough ones as well. This will be a rebuilding year for NE, and I bet by next year they'll be kicking everyone's butt again.

Miami 6-10

This team will be good. In two years. There are way too many question marks on this team to allow them to compete. There are questions on the OL, questions at LB, questions at RB, and huge questions at QB. There's even questions at the coordinator positions.

387030[/snapback]

Bills 8-8 Unfortunately I do see JPL undergoing some growing pains, Next year- look out NFL defences.

Patsies 12-4 They're the best until proven otherwise, too bad they have the

warmth and personality of well, Bill Belichik!

Jets 7-9 Somethings just not right with this team, I don't see them in the playoffs again for a long time.

Fish 5-11 If it looks like a fish, smells like a fish, its a fish! A bottom feeding fish.

I don't understand these comments about Losman being a huge upgrade over Bledsoe. Losman has not started a single NFL game, has minimum playing time in the NFL, and his win loss record at Tulane was not that impressive.

Remember Rob Johnson? He was supposed to be a huge upgrade and look how that turned out.

While Losman may turn out to be a good NFL QB, I seriously doubt that Bills will repeat at 9-7 this year.

The real problem with the Dolphins is their OL and QB.  AJ is pathetic.  I hold Bledsoe in high regard compared to Feeley.  I have never seen someone throw so many interceptions for TDs.  I was amazed when Saban didn't find a better QB than Gus.

I think 6.5 wins is about right for an over/under.

389591[/snapback]

Feely has potential, but Gus as a backup is just terrible. And like I said, Feely has potential, but he needs to get there. He's gonna make me miss Fiedler, and that's hard to do.

The Dolphins... are floating belly up at the top of the fish bowl.   

389900[/snapback]

Don't be ridiculous. Yes, they're not playoff contenders. But I'll remember this line when they split the season series with the Bills. :rolleyes:

Jets 11-5

Pats  9-7

Bills  9-7

Dolphins  4-12

Right now,  I think the Jets will probably end up winning the division.  They don't have a roster of 22 all-pro starters,  but its a solid group that is certainly capable of a strong showing, especially with a healthy Pennington. 

389900[/snapback]

That remains to be seen...especially considering that the Jets are

cautious to not even go at full speed in training camp